PDA

View Full Version : Any Cello Players In Da House?

AllAmericanMag
09-16-2003, 05:55 PM
Just curious if anyone here plays Cello? I play string bass but I think I'd like to learn cello. Any tips on what to look for when buying a cello? I'm not looking for anything good, maybe even just one of the $130 Cremonas or Meranos on eBay. What notes are cellos strung to? All I can remember is the low C. Anything helps, thanks.

AllAmericanMag
09-17-2003, 04:58 PM
Up

Clare
09-17-2003, 05:21 PM
I don't play the cello but do play the violin..

There's certainly a lot of cheap cellos on ebay but don't buy cheap plywood cellos. A bad instrument will not only make it more difficult for you, but may actually hold back your progress. Getting that cello setup with a new bridge, fittings and strings might run about $200 - $500 depending on who is doing the work. Also, remember that buying off Ebay can be risky unless you are buying from a legitimate business and have a guarantee of some sort.

Have you thought about renting a cello? Try and find a rental plan that credits your rental fees towards purchase - that way you are not simply throwing your money away. See if you take to cello well, then you can go ahead and spend a little more money and get a decent instrument that will improve with age. You should also check out www.cellos2go.com.

What notes are cellos strung to? All I can remember is the low C
C G D A

AllAmericanMag
09-17-2003, 05:44 PM
Thanks Capo. How long have you been playing violin? If you have any recordings of you playing I'd like to hear them. I'd actually like to learn violin too, but I don't feel like getting used to Treble clef yet :D I think I'll look into renting, probably through the local company that supplies most of the schools around here.

Did you see THIS (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10178&item=2558866508) Cello? Let me know what you think... Thanks again.

Clare
09-17-2003, 06:30 PM
I started off playing the piano when I was 9 then started the violin at about 12. I actually do have recordings somewhere but since I've moved several times since my freshman year at the University, I have no clue where they are!

I wouldn't purchase an instrument from eBay. You get no warranty (despite it indicating that you get a 1 yr warranty that doesn't include details), and neither the buyer nor seller knows much about the true identity, condition or value of the instrument. You cannot tell how it will sound. Adjustment and setup are usually not precise. Setup often will be for a different climate, and crucial adjustments such as soundpost length and string height will almost certainly be wrong.

If you're determined on buying than renting (which I think would be your best bet at the moment), then definitely get one from specialized string shop. They can provide skilled adjustments and setup for the best sound and easiest playing (fitting the soundpost, carving the bridge, planing the fingerboard, fitting the pegs, etc.)
The shop should also offer a guaranteed trade-in when it’s time to upgrade, and it should offer a good warranty.

Hope this helps..:)

Clare
09-18-2003, 02:14 PM
By the way,

here's a pic of my baby (don't let my xmag, my other baby, know)..

http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=418377

Torbo
09-18-2003, 02:39 PM
i used to play viola, and my sister plays violin and my dad plays cello, for whatever worth that is. Id go rental tho.

Marek
09-19-2003, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by CaPoEiRa
By the way,

Where are the valves on that thing? And where do you put the mouthpiece?

Clare
09-19-2003, 05:50 AM

...and that may be why you were having a rough time learning to play a stringed instrument :p

FalconGuy016
09-19-2003, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Marek

Ahahahahhahaha :)

MarkM
09-19-2003, 08:35 AM
By the way,

What worries me about this pic is that you have "Old People" side bars on your bed...or is this an "industrial" look decor you are going for :D ;) :p

Clare
09-19-2003, 04:02 PM
hahaa..

"old people bars"! I love it.

That's actually the bottom of the bed and not the side..:p

AllAmericanMag
09-19-2003, 04:18 PM
What kind of violin is that?

MarkM
09-19-2003, 04:39 PM
hahaa..

"old people bars"! I love it.

That's actually the bottom of the bed and not the side..:p

Well at least I made you smile ;)

Omicron
09-19-2003, 08:48 PM
I play cello...Don't know much about what to look for in buying a good one or anything though.