PDA

View Full Version : max flo= crazy

sirmagalot
09-19-2003, 05:47 PM
i just turned on my maxflo and the pressure went way up and it started leaking out the end (looks like a little filter)of what I think is the burst disc. Did some seal in my maxflo go bad or something?

Doc Nickel
09-19-2003, 07:02 PM
Almost certainly.

If you turn on an older Max Flow too fast (and I'm not sure if newer ones do it as well) the front poppet (a brass spool under the front cap) pops forward a little too much, letting the O-ring slip out under air pressure. The spring then pushes the poppet back in, snipping the 'ring, and causing a major leak.

With the tank off (obviously) unscrew the front cap. Leave the spring, hat and whatnot in place and in order in the cap. Pull the brass poppet out of the reg body and check the big O-ring. Chances are it's been cut.

If you have an LP Max flow (the poppet is about the diameter of a nickel) you can get away with using a Tank O-ring in it, if it's an emergency. Stock SP ones work better though.

Lube it well with DOW33 or KC oil and screw the cap back on.

Crack the tank valve slowly when pressurizing the system, to keep it from happening again.

If that doesn't fix it, let me know.

Doc.

SkeL
09-19-2003, 09:46 PM
Doc thank god you're here. Can you, or someone else tell me what parts I need to make my HP maxflow, LP? It's the newest style. I have a spring I can buy from someone on the net, but I'm not sure if I need a piston of some sorts. Please help me out.