PDA

View Full Version : Gun owners by region? What's popular where now?

Tyger
09-19-2003, 06:29 PM
Just a thought.

For a long time you could tell where someone was from by what thye had int heir grubby little paws when they played. For example, a long time ago the midwest was reffered to as "Mag Country". Every midwest team (SOB's, Swarm, and so on) shot Mags. California was "Cocker Country". I'm not sure what the hell the East coast shot, but those are the two I remember distinctly.

So it begs to be asked. What's the regional guns du jour? I'm getting a handle on some of the areas, but there doesn't seem to be a manufacturer specific region anymore. I mean, mid-Wisconsin seems to be "AKA" dominant. Is there reginal loyalty to manufacturers? Or is it more a case of "Team loyalty" and "Paintgun of the month club"?

-Tyger (Who wouldn't mind if the whole midwest became "Mag Country" again...)

(...edited slightly to fix a typo that was really buggin' me...)

i like tictacs
09-19-2003, 06:36 PM
spimmies and matrixes.

RenagadeOfFunk
09-19-2003, 07:26 PM
not really...i just know a 3 tippmann here in IL and then 4 mags...I guess Mid-West can still be mag country...ill stick with you tyger ;) go MagS

TSalPaintball
09-19-2003, 07:29 PM
Paintball Sam's(WI) is prodomintaly a mag feild, me included!

the_next_guy_
09-19-2003, 07:33 PM
cockers. I like cockers but EVERYONE has one! Imagine a bunch of kids running around with a brand new WORR pack and a boomstick that their daddy bought them. I am a definate minority with my mag.

SIGSays
09-19-2003, 07:46 PM
over here it's spimmies, angels and cocker, alot of spyder within those back yard ballers

Doobie
09-19-2003, 08:11 PM
Wazup Rob!
I can't help thinking that this might be a little skewed (sp?) seeing that this is AO, but heck i'm game!

Around the Clarksville TN area there seems to be a few High End mags. But cockers and Angels are well represented also. Seems to be a good "melting pot" around here.

Blazingace
09-19-2003, 08:29 PM
In the nor' east I see alot of Imps, Trixs and Angels. Unless you have a whoop A$$ 'Mag, like mine you are pretty much frowned upon.

Wierd-Guy
09-19-2003, 09:24 PM
In Northern Indiana there are a lot of Electronic Spyders, Angels, and Cockers. Most tourney guys are moving to the Timmy though. 2 Guys at my field just got E-Mags and I moght be the next in a few months...

Richter
09-19-2003, 09:53 PM
In Nebraska a few years-back most people had angels. Especially when LCD first came out. Poorman has a large push in this state with many storeowners in small towns buying from him (especially in the paint department).

I know one field owner has really like autocockers and to this day that field is mostly autococker country.

Nowadays I have kind of been on the outskirts of paintball locally; but what I have noticed is that there is allot of impulses. My brother a year or two back bought one of the first impulses in Omaha. Walter Fowler is the lead tech at Warped Sportz Omaha and for most of last year he played for OBR (which was sponsored by Smart Parts) and he learned the in and outs of the Impulse. Since then they have pushed impulses at their store and now their field (warped sportz Pb Park) has a large following of impulses.

So I think it all depends on what people hear from and who they respect (or look up to) locally in the paintball world.

Also you are seeing diluted followings on specific markers because of the great information on the web. Notice there are some "web hype" markers out there. (Don’t ask me for specific markers)

I didn't really put in the obvious though, everywhere it is really tippman and spyder country isn't it. Each one are tournament or close tournament winners :)
In Nebraska a few years-back most people had angels. Especially when LCD first came out. Poorman has a large push in this state with many storeowners in small towns buying from him (especially in the paint department).

I know one field owner has really like autocockers and to this day that field is mostly autococker country.

Nowadays I have kinda been on the outskirts of paintball locally; but what I have noticed is that there is allot of impulses. My brother a year or two back bought one of the first impulses in Omaha. Walter Fowler is the lead tech at Warped Sportz Omaha and for most of last year he played for OBR (which was sponsored by Smart Parts) and he learned the in and outs of the Impulse. Since then they have pushed impulses at their store and now their field (warped sportz pb park) has a large following of impulses.

So I think it all depends on what people hear from and who they respect (or look up to) locally in the paintball world.

Also you are seeing diluted followings on specific markers because of the great information on the web. Notice there are some "web hype" markers out there. (Don’t ask me for specific markers)

I didn't really put in the obvious though, everywhere it is really tippman and spyder country isn't it. Each one are tournament or close tournament winners :)

penguinpunk555
09-19-2003, 09:54 PM
SE wisconsin... MAG COUNTRY!!(By Jello)

yea black rain is full of mags we got a few cockers impys one timmy a trix then some new things we see every once in awhile and then there is the spyder

Torbo
09-19-2003, 10:15 PM
north east: cockers angels and trixes

Ov3rmind
09-19-2003, 10:18 PM
Here in Utah, the tourney scene is dominated mostly by Cockers (usually E-Bladed, alot of DYEs) and Angels (all varieties, most common is LCD).

Some other high end guns are becoming popular as well. Impulses, Matrixes, and Timmys are starting to gain some small recognition.

As far as rec players, it's your standard Spyder, Piranha, Tippmann. There are also some mechanical Mags, stock Cockers, and Bushmasters used quite often at the rec level.

Hexis
09-19-2003, 10:23 PM
I'm doing my best to turn Minneapolis into Mageapolis. I see a lot of Tippmanns here as well.

DementedRabbit
09-19-2003, 10:35 PM
Here in North Carolina, Matrixes are very popular. I play at what is probably the area's largest field(Paintball Central) and the Matrix is the gun to have. The vast majority of privately owned guns are still Tippmanns and stacked tube blowbacks of every variety.

There are some other Central regulars here that can explain the situation better than me, but it's my understanding the store really pushes and supports the guns. Their sponsored teams seem to get great mileage out of theirs.

Nick O time
09-19-2003, 11:02 PM
we have alot of mags, well we used to because Madcow plays there alot, but I havent been there for a while so I don't know if they are still runnin mags. I use a mag and so do some others but we also got pimpulses, cockers, angels, and other guns.

Dubstar112
09-19-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Torbo
north east: cockers angels and trixes

im 80 , miles north, pretty much just cockers and timmies, and a couple trixes

Angry Man
09-20-2003, 12:10 AM
Timmies!!! They are taking over...except mine, which is broken.

Bad_Dog
09-20-2003, 12:17 AM
I can back up penguinepunk555's statement about SE Wisconsin...

*ArKfEaR*
09-20-2003, 10:45 AM
mostley cockers and angels in jersey.

DJBacon06
09-20-2003, 11:25 AM
many many imps here where i come from. especially at one of the feilds down the road from me (they rent imps....) there are also quite a bit of angels...im like the ONLY mag user i have seen....

personman
09-20-2003, 11:36 AM
Pretty much the only thing you see around here is impulses.. I dont see how you could even stand to HOLD one of those things. And no, I'm not saying that because of this patent shoit. I've always disliked smart parts products.

elpimpo
09-20-2003, 01:34 PM
colorado is all timmies. me and a select few still shoot the angel and a couple shoot trixes and 1 or 2 cockers but everybody and there brothers have timmies

Bucky
09-20-2003, 01:52 PM
you cant shake a stick in norcal without hitting a timmy.

Z-man
09-20-2003, 02:04 PM
SOOOOOO true. Timmys a few Matix, and Angels. I have seen all of 8-9 Mags in my 3 years at T.A.G. and I own 2 of them ;)

Snapps
09-20-2003, 02:57 PM
In alaska its pretty diverse, not much of anything, a ton of rec ballers have the usual spyder clones and or tippys, more serious players/tourny players shoot a mixed variety of guns: Timmies/ Cockers / LCD's/ a small amount of Impies, so far only me and my bro since we just moved from maryland which we played at a predominantly SP field/ Xmags (think there is only one of em up here and he resides down south near anchorage)whatever high end guns exist up here they are diverse....

thei3ug
09-20-2003, 03:57 PM
for a second i thought it was "gun owners by religion."

now that would have been just as funny to me. :)

Top Secret
09-20-2003, 04:33 PM
Here in Cinci, I'd definatly say its Angel Country. Lots of Speeds, IR3s, and LCDs about. Our team captain has a thing for LEDs. Second on the list is Eblade/Race cockers. Not too many fellow Emaggers about yet.

DiRTyBuNNy
09-20-2003, 07:40 PM
Well..I'll have to chime in for SoCal and say that we have lots of everything out here but from time to time one marker jumps ahead of everyone as the hype marker for a few months and that falls down again and a new one jumps up again...so it's Timmies, Imps, Trixes, Angels, (e)Cockers, and all varieties of sear trippers..

Hoplon
09-21-2003, 01:30 AM
Aka and cockers over here mostly. There are a couple of virtually every other gun too.

Grasshopper
09-21-2003, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by DiRTyBuNNy
Well..I'll have to chime in for SoCal and say that we have lots of everything out here but from time to time one marker jumps ahead of everyone as the hype marker for a few months and that falls down again and a new one jumps up again...so it's Timmies, Imps, Trixes, Angels, (e)Cockers, and all varieties of sear trippers..
Yea, I pretty much agree here. There were a few Angels today, 5+ timmies, a bunch of spyder(clones), and a few other random guns (mag, cocker, imp, bushy, etc). Pretty diverse, but the timmy seems to be the most common.

the_next_guy_
09-22-2003, 07:45 PM
hey dirtybunny and grasshopper, you guys play at pendleton?

SlipknotX556
09-22-2003, 07:59 PM
True ballers in so fl have timmys.

The Deacon
09-22-2003, 09:12 PM
elpimpo- Greeley area is gettin' AKA'ed hardcore. APP pushes the Vikings like they were handed down to paintballers from God himself. But Denver is definitely Timmy Territory tourney-wise. Rec is almost ALL Tippy in CO, though.

LudavicoSoldier
09-23-2003, 12:32 PM
I see mostly Timmies, lots of electro cockers (Boston Paintball is a diehard cocker shop), quite a few shockers, and a mag here and there.

ShooterJM
09-23-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by The Deacon
elpimpo- Greeley area is gettin' AKA'ed hardcore. APP pushes the Vikings like they were handed down to paintballers from God himself. But Denver is definitely Timmy Territory tourney-wise. Rec is almost ALL Tippy in CO, though.

Yeah I agree. Denver still is timmy land but aka is starting to make a push. APP seems to sell out of vikings as soon as he gets em.

coolcatpete
09-23-2003, 09:39 PM
At my field in ny york at ithaca paintball everyone has a timmy, then as back ups a cocker angel and an impuls

tony3
09-23-2003, 09:48 PM
Im going to say Badlandz in Illinois is a big melting pot, but I do see quite a few mags there compared to most fields, I see lots of mags when the agd teams are practcing, but for some reason angels are still really hanging on, as always a few timmys, followed by trixes and impys, and then cockers and all your camod blowbacks

TrixLCD
09-23-2003, 09:56 PM
People around here have impulses, and matices. But there are some with diff things. Like one of the guys(Smokee) has a X-mag, and hes the mag guy, but most just follow trends around here.

Indi86
09-23-2003, 10:08 PM
Hey... first post.

To coolcatpete
Dude. Not everyone uses Timmies up at IPB. Only like 3-4 people have them. Some people have cockers as their mains, btw. (like me, John Foster- he's getting his eblade sooner or later, my little bro and his blue 2k3 cocker... 2 other people in our group might be getting cockers too)
Timmies are big in Ithaca, but I have to say Imps are bigger

-Brian

space_weazel_45
09-25-2003, 01:02 PM
its really sad according to my local field owner i am one of only two mags he sees come in and its the most popular of three fields in the portland metro area its in tigard just out side of portland but still i big city in its self flanked by two more bigish citys

i was there the other day and when i went to chrono one guy i handed it to imediatly passed it off to another guy stating that he hated mags "cause' they chop" after chronoing i went back to the table to check to see how hard the LX was hitting droped my finger in and "chuff chuff..." heheheh the angel guy next to me looked up and asked "level 10?" i said yep and he asked to play with it, and throughly enjoyed it.hehehe

sorry to get back on topic seems mostly economic electros[spyders, ect] cockers, tippis, angels, imps, and timmys in that order and way down there there are guys like me the phantom SC, mag guys

Crazy
09-25-2003, 01:36 PM
Timmys, matricies, all the good guns... but no mags.

Creative Mayhem
09-25-2003, 01:46 PM
In the area im in, its mostly the cheaper spyder clones, and for high end markers, its usuually angels impies and cockers.. not too many mags... but I am working on that...

SPREADING THE LOVE AO/XMAG STYLEZ!!! :D

CrazyLad
09-25-2003, 05:51 PM
everyone has mags and imps here

bryceeden
09-26-2003, 09:47 AM
Cockers, but A-5s are a close second. I only know of 18 mags in the entire state os Utah, and I frequently play with 78 cockers and 59 A-5s.

AutomagRT1483
09-26-2003, 10:46 AM
SE Wisconsin, Mag country!:D

punkncat
09-26-2003, 06:06 PM
Every second person around here has a Timmy or an Impulse.
Of course in the scenario/rec ball scene are loads of Spyders or clones and Tippmann's.