PDA

View Full Version : Why do people think mags are heavy?

Will Wood
09-21-2003, 07:16 PM
Since getting my emag.. I havn't noticed it being a tad bit heavy. The L in ULE should stand for lighter.

Many people have handled my E-Mag, and the immediate reaction was either "Wow this is light" or "Hey this isn't as bad as everyone says"

(Was just reading PBN's 'Heaviest Gun?' thread and felt like posting this here)

Ov3rmind
09-21-2003, 07:24 PM
Because before ULE stuff, Mags were pretty heavy guns. A lot of people still don't know about the ULE parts, and many people still use all non-ULE stuff, so the thought that Mags are heavy is still widespread.

FreakBaller12
09-21-2003, 07:26 PM
there have been studies shown that some paintball players are wusses and don't lift weights

FalconGuy016
09-21-2003, 07:26 PM
Stock mags are pretty darn heavy :)
But I have a stock valved, minimag PF body, heavy forgrip/drop, heavy preset tank, and a Halo

and I'm not complaining :)

FooTemps
09-21-2003, 07:27 PM
funny... my mag setup empty is only 5 pounds... full it's 6.5... it's LIGHT

Ov3rmind
09-21-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by toyotaboy12
there have been studies shown that some paintball players are wusses and don't lift weights
A heavy gun will slow down your snap shooting, reguardless of strength. Slower snapshooting is bad for front players. Besides, a light gun is just more convenient to carry around, even if a heavier one doesn't tire your arm.

EsPo
09-21-2003, 07:30 PM
Poolshark5226's ULE x valved y grip rtp is SO LIGHT...

Lightest gun ive ever felt.

poolshark5226
09-21-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by EsPo
Poolshark5226's ULE x valved y grip rtp is SO LIGHT...

Lightest gun ive ever felt.

:D feel free to put that into my f/s thread :D

Even before ULE stuff I didnt think mags were insanely heavy...far from light, but not deathly massive

rikkter
09-21-2003, 07:56 PM
compared to most other guns, i think they are. i played with my warp mag for awhile before i switched to emag with xvalve, and i noticed a difference. but when i handled my friends new timmy, i felt like i was gonna break it cause it was so light

Bad_Dog
09-21-2003, 07:59 PM
my setup loaded weighs 12 lbs... but I DO NOT MAKE ANY attempt to make it lighter... I simply dont care...

Dayspring
09-21-2003, 09:33 PM
You DO realize that the L DOES stand for Light right?

Ultra
Light
Engineering

Originally posted by Will Wood
Since getting my emag.. I havn't noticed it being a tad bit heavy. The L in ULE should stand for lighter.

FalconGuy016
09-21-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Ov3rmind

A heavy gun will slow down your snap shooting, reguardless of strength. Slower snapshooting is bad for front players. Besides, a light gun is just more convenient to carry around, even if a heavier one doesn't tire your arm.

Thats true.
Well mostly for me when im at some weird angle, usually stand up bunker snap shooting isnt a problem. But I sure do understand you on that point :) 'tis my only reason for wanting a lighter gun

Carbon
09-21-2003, 10:04 PM

True. but i think where the mass of weight is located i also a big factor. I nocticed it requires more energey to lean/rotate a taller with a N2 tank, than a drop forward less, no-rise gun.

Ov3rmind
09-21-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by FalconGuy016

Thats true.
Well mostly for me when im at some weird angle, usually stand up bunker snap shooting isnt a problem. But I sure do understand you on that point :) 'tis my only reason for wanting a lighter gun
Yeah, weight usually doesn't bother me too much. But it's just a little easier to snap shoot with a lighter gun. There are worse guns weight wise than older Mags anyway (Shocker, the size/weight on that gun was enough to convince me never to buy one).

Albinonewt
09-22-2003, 06:11 AM
When people hold my E-Mag with Warp, ULE Warp, and Halo-B, and 88 tank their immediate reation is that I shoot a cinder block with a nice trigger.

JEDI
09-22-2003, 08:04 AM
Mags are pretty heavy. I think The X is the only mag that is surprisingly light... Other than any other custom ULE mag. Your average Emag with a no rise is like a brick.

I'm not a "wuss" who needs a light gun, but when I stand around all day from feild to feild at a tournament, I get sick of the gun in my hand. At the Global series, I sware I've got a cocker in my hands for about 8 straight hours.

Albinonewt
09-22-2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by JEDI
I sware I've got a cocker in my hands for about 8 straight hours.

hehehehe

Will Wood
09-22-2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Dayspring
You DO realize that the L DOES stand for Light right?

Ultra
Light
Engineering

Yea.. I'm just saying that light would imply they are heavy :)

JEDI
09-22-2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Albinonewt

hehehehe

Haha!... and thats not just my cocker, thats my balls too. Cocker and Balls...:D

Dayspring
09-22-2003, 09:21 AM
And the jokes just keep on coming. :D

Originally posted by JEDI

Haha!... and thats not just my cocker, thats my balls too. Cocker and Balls...:D

graycie
09-22-2003, 09:37 AM
way back in the day some people would use the 114 dinosaur tanks that almost equaled the size of the mag, which therefore made it hella heavy.

Strider
09-22-2003, 10:17 AM
Beh, Mags are light...

If you started with a VM like me. :D

Tyril
09-22-2003, 10:57 AM
hahaha.

I've got a Emag with a steel minimag body, SS Dye 12", 114/4500 tank, and a lug of a hopper. Full my setup is capable of intimidating the smaller of newbies =)

It must weight 11 lbs or so.

But, I'm 5' 7" 150 lbs, and have no problem snap shooting with the best of the plastic guns.

Guess it's all in the perception of the player.

-mike

Pacifist_Farmer
09-22-2003, 11:03 AM
My old school RT with its 114ci on it was like a cinder block, then again it was a cinder block that could throw more paint than anybody else on the field.

The smaller tank (68ci) helps a lot, but its still a hefty gun

Schnitzel
09-22-2003, 12:48 PM
I think The X is the only mag that is surprisingly light...

you'd be surprised. i own a true ULE emag, minus the body(still SS). it almost the exact same setup as the tunamax....anyway, i did a weight test in person against tom's xmag. i wont repeat what he said, but the surpised look on his face stood in my favor. this was way before the xvalve was available to the public, so i was using a retro valve, and waaay before the ULE bodies even hit the drawing board. i truly believe that this had some bearing on tom's decisions to move forward with ULE production, because ULE was vitrually unheard of at the time.

rikkter
09-22-2003, 02:46 PM
ULE rails were out way before xmags were. dur:P

when i held Tom's Xmag, with flatline, and halo, andd warp, it was lighter than my warp classic mag, with revy and tank.

if you're someone who plays scenarios like me, the weight gets to you after awhile

ß?µ£ §mµ®ƒ
09-22-2003, 03:54 PM
:-D my gun weighs around 12 lbs full with a warp revy and 88 ci tank full i weight 10 stones and 11 pounds so its not that bad i love the weigh and am 5' 7" high real men can carry heavy guns but im also a mid player so... :D

RenagadeOfFunk
09-22-2003, 03:55 PM
cause they have small genitals........question answered....

rikkter
09-22-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by RenagadeOfFunkRTPcf
cause they have small genitals........question answered....

go buy a car battery and hold it out in front of you with arms extended, tell me how long you can hold it there. then we'll determine how big yours are :D

Albinonewt
09-22-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by rikkter

go buy a car battery and hold it out in front of you with arms extended, tell me how long you can hold it there. then we'll determine how big yours are :D

And when I see someone getting 10 BPS with a car battery that he's playing with in 3v3 speedball I'll be impressed. But until that day I decline the car battery litmus test on the weight of paintball gun :)

rikkter
09-22-2003, 04:17 PM
lol, i just wanted to see if he'd doo it :D

RenagadeOfFunk
09-22-2003, 04:19 PM
damn stright....i need a drop forward for my battery ;)....hell i need a car batery ;)....hell....my mag is lighter than a car battery......damn your analogy sucks...

rikkter
09-22-2003, 04:23 PM
my analogy wasn't even comparing the weight of a car battery to the weight of a emag:rolleyes:
it was your analogy about their strength due to their genital size(like that analogy was even any better);)

rdb123
09-22-2003, 04:52 PM
My SFL E-mag setup is pretty heavy too:

SFL with 12" dye titanium
Long shocktech drop/asa with 68/4500 Hyperflow
Full HALO B

RenagadeOfFunk
09-22-2003, 05:03 PM
who says im a dude?..girls play paintball...

Schnitzel
09-22-2003, 05:30 PM
i just weighed my setup...

ule emag(ule rail, gripframe, xvalve)
12" J&J
SS warp body
68/45
warp
revvy
kapp dz3

7lbs 12oz(empty)

anybody got the same setup as me and can beat that weight?

Evil Bob
09-22-2003, 05:37 PM
Lighter isn't necessarily better, there comes a point where you trade off accuracy for weight.

Yes, a lighter setup allows you to snapshoot faster, this is basic physics, the smaller the mass, the less force it takes to move said mass. This same principal also works against you , it takes less hammering on the trigger to affect the position of the barrel tip, which will induce inaccuracy.

A real world example is match grade barrels for competition shooting, they're very heavy, easily 2x-3x what one would normally carry out on a hunting trip, they are that way be design. The heavier the barrel, the more stable it is. Long range shooting matches are won and lost based upon breathing technics (your chest expanding will change your point of aim), trigger pulling techiniques (slow steady squeeze vs a quick yank), and timing your heart rate (yes, your pulse rate and systolic pressure can affect your accuracy, that's why competition shooters wear those big bulky shooting vests, to insulate against the subtle body movements caused by blood flowing through their veins and arteries).

Having more mass will create a more stable shooting platform, especially for long balling, you will be more accurate with a rig that is more forgiving of slight body movements. But again, there is a tradeoff, it's possible to have a platform so stable you can't pick it up (we usually call them "tank").

-Evil Bob

rikkter
09-22-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by RenagadeOfFunkRTPcf
who says im a dude?..girls play paintball...
are you saying your a girl? i know girls do, hell, one of my closet friends play, and shes a girl. i was just saying your analogy was as bad as mine, not trying to start anything, it sjust all fun

i agree evil, but with paintball, their not all that accurate to begin with. i'd rather have a small spuratic area paint is covering than just one spot, more paint in more space more likely going to hit someone out in the open(scenario wise). but in speedball i see the point, but your so close to each other anyways.:p

GoatBoy
09-23-2003, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Ov3rmind

Some of this has been mentioned, but in my own view...

The weight of the gun does not seem to make that much of a bearing on most "snap shooting". It seems to me that most of the time the gun is propped up against the body for these shots. For aiming and such, it's easier to lock the gun into position and use your shoulders/torso for adjustments. I think there are certain... diminishing returns from being so singularly focused on gun weight considering how much other body mass you need to control in order to get the shot.

It's not PC, but I think toyotaboy12's comment is somewhat... spot on.

However, I can say that there are specific situations where the weight/distribution does matter... Like, say, one-handed shooting situations, usually involving being really low to the ground. And like, getting in and out of these positions.

And, not to hijack the thread, but... This is something I've been pondering for a while now. I think it'd be interesting to see what kind of body type is best for paintball. You obviously don't want to be too large, even if you're all musclebound, because that just makes you a bigger target, but then again, you don't want to be too small, like, say, all these children that play paintball, because then the weight of the gun+pods becomes like a significant percentage of their total weight. I'm sure the most vocal complainers of equipment weight come from this group. Same goes for proportions, like big and lanky vs. short and stubby, etc.

Just a thought.

Z-man
09-23-2003, 01:59 AM
Why do people think Mags are heavy? Because they saw this one that I love so much.