PDA

View Full Version : can guns be anodized OVER a old ano job

bornl33t
09-22-2003, 06:38 AM
Well I got to thinking... suppose I had a solid color gun and wanted to make it a fade... can you anodize OVER an existing anodize? why not?If not then how do you get 2 colors on a gun? If not how do you fade anodize a gun ? What about a splash?

I guess what I'm asking is from someone to help me understand the process...never done it, never seen it done... wanna know how it works.

RRfireblade
09-22-2003, 06:41 AM
No, it must be stripped back to the aluminum.For the rest of the info,search,there is tons of info on it.

Jay.

If I remember Vangogo had a thread running the whole thing step by step.

graycie
09-22-2003, 09:42 AM
If you re-anno on top of an pre-existing coat it most likely will chip or not last as long as a stripped down new anno.

Hexis
09-22-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by graycie
If you re-anno on top of an pre-existing coat it most likely will chip or not last as long as a stripped down new anno.

Not even close.

You must strip the anno so the part is conductive again, so it can accept a new layer of anno. It's not like a layer of paint. It's laid down in an electricial chemicial reaction. There are plenty of threads and/or sites that describe the process.

jdev
09-22-2003, 11:28 AM
here, try this:

http://www.ihccorp.com/IHC-Hard_Anod.htm

Hexis
09-22-2003, 01:18 PM
joey d, that process is used on cookware and other things, not commonly on paintball parts.

This is the method used on paintball parts:

http://www.ihccorp.com/IHC-Sulf_Anod.htm

jdev
09-22-2003, 01:42 PM
buh.

im pretty sure vikings use type 3 anno.

heres another from warpig:

http://www.warpig.com/paintball/technical/anodize.shtml

Hexis
09-22-2003, 02:06 PM
From what I understand Hard Anodizing leaves a grey color that's harder to dye, and would be imparted with the grey behind any color. So bright colors are not really possible. But I have never hard annoed a part before. I have sulf annoed parts and dyed them, they turned out ok, not at nice as I hoped, but I have only tried it a couple times. Still getting everything setup.

datapimp69
09-22-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Heat
Well I got to thinking... suppose I had a solid color gun and wanted to make it a fade... can you anodize OVER an existing anodize? why not?If not then how do you get 2 colors on a gun? If not how do you fade anodize a gun ? What about a splash?

I guess what I'm asking is from someone to help me understand the process...never done it, never seen it done... wanna know how it works.

to get back to his question.

the reason you can't go back over the top is that it has been sealed.

when you anaodize the first step is the anaodizing step. this puts a layer of what if you looked at under a microscope would look like little tubes.

the second step is to color.

the third step is to seal.

this is a basic layout of what happens so dont come back and flame me with.. but you still need to do this... blah

so as you can see heat if you have sealed it you cant dye it anymore.

as to how do you do fades. you anao it, then hang the part in the first color to the point of the fade, when it has enuff color you turn it around and hang it in the second color.

as i said this is a basic example to help heat under stand what goes on. there is MUCH more to it then this

RRfireblade
09-22-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by datapimp69

to get back to his question.

the reason you can go back over the top is that it has been sealed.

I"m sure you meant can't,just to clear up any questions.

Nachos
09-22-2003, 03:07 PM
http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize99.html

magmonkey
09-22-2003, 06:23 PM
there are a few problems

#1 the parts you wish to annodize must be electrified, and once the part is annodized it becomes non conductive in order to re anno it it would have to be stripped to become conductive again.

#2 the parts need to be super clean , the way most shops clean the parts are with etching chehmicals, that will stip the old anodize anyway.

alan
Destructive customs