PDA

View Full Version : WTB: 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA ( CAN'T FIND ONE!)

dcmander
09-22-2003, 12:27 PM
Hey guys...I have a Grand AM GT '96 .. I want to get a '88 GTA.

I found a sweet one on ebay that ended at $5100.00 and the reserve was set for 6k, so it wasn't met.

It was exactly what I want except it had a 5.7L 350TPI engine with automatic transmission...Since the GTAs didnt' come with a 5.7L 350TPI in manual transmission (this is because the car would flip over due to the massive amount of torque) .. I would just get a 5.0L 305TPI manual. This is the biggest engine size the GTAs have in manual transmission.

Anyway this car on ebay was a 5.7L auto...It was exactly what I wanted, awesome condition, everything..Except it was automatic! Drats! I HAVE to have manual..I told myself the next car I got was going to be a stick and I like driving sticks more.

Heres the auction, not sure if it is all still up: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2432212081&category=6427

Anyway thats a picture of it attached. Pretty isn't it :)

Now i have a long time to buy this car, sine i have my grand am..i dont need it for awhile but i want one. So I think this makes me eligable to be speciific on what i want in it.

This is what I want:

Gunmetal Metallic (maybe black..or a navy metallic)
- power everything (mirrors, dual seats, windows, locks)
- less than or around 65k miles
- good condition interior and exterior (dont want to have to fix it up at all)
- digital dash or standard

Any advise on where I could look? I'm having my father talk to some people locally.. I've been checking eBay and Autotrader..I've been checking GTA forums and auto forums....Anywhere else I could look?

I don't realy expect to pay more than 4-6 grand.. Am I wanting too much? Remember.. I don't really NEED to buy this car.. I am never going to get so desperate that i buy what i dont want..I can always keep my grand am. And I can give the grand am up to my dad at any time. Does this make it ok to be pretty picky? I think so..

I've always been a fan of Trans Ams..And I really want the elite GTA Trans Am. :D

One more thing..I expect to see Transman in this thread giving me some advice and info :)

Thanks all.

Here's the beaut!

Deep Sixx
09-22-2003, 01:16 PM
Great cars... tons of fun to drive. In high school, a friend had a red one. I had a black '85 T/A (not GTA). I really miss it. Really a great car. If I had the money, I'd probably buy another one now just for fun.

I'd say try and avoid the digital dash models. It's cool looking, but not very durable and quite expensive to fix. If one of the displays or LEDs dies, you must replace the entire cluster (not the whole dash, just the offending section).

sixx

-=Squid=-
09-22-2003, 04:01 PM
My theory is this. If you are spending over $1000 on ANYTHING, its impossible to be to picky.

Spleen
09-22-2003, 04:36 PM
i might have an offer to trade my 86 monte carlo (pretty good resto job) straight up for a mint 87 trans am. I guess it will run forever. Highway at around 55-60 itll run at like 14-1500 rpm. Atleast our old one did. Thats barely even working the engine lol.

logamus
09-22-2003, 04:45 PM
thats one sharp car. gl on finding one.

giblit
09-22-2003, 05:39 PM
my personal favorite is a 89 pace car edition. but hmm... i dunno try www.cardomain.com

dcmander
09-22-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by giblit
my personal favorite is a 89 pace car edition. but hmm...

What is that?

Pic?