PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard question

MarkM
09-22-2003, 12:48 PM
As I'm sure more than one or two people have spilt drink etc on their keyboards I was wondering I know how to take the keyboard apart but the question really is do the cable connentions within the keyboard vary atall, I have picked up a (brand new) keyboard actually for a Dreamcast but of course the plug is of the wrong type to plug into a pc but if I simply replace the cable from the keyboard end with a normal cable will I find silly connections inside the keyboard.

Sparq
09-22-2003, 02:27 PM
After many spills over the years, mine finally stopped working a while back. Basically I took the screws out of the back, snapped the top part of the frame off, and started popping the keys off the board. I then used q-tips to get as much of the gunk as I could out, but the PCB inside is covered by the board on which the key 'buttons' are mounted, so I couldn't get tot hat. I am now left with a keyboard that has a sticky '2', and CTRL keys that open about 6 different menus and mute my system when pressed. It works, but sooner or later i'll have to go spend the $30 or so CAD for a new one. They're cheap now, unless you buy wireless.

I have no idea about the cable.

e mag
09-22-2003, 02:48 PM
It's most likely the same wires as a PC keyboard because dreamcast uses winCE so they probably used it for convenience and just changed the plug so you had to buy the special keyboard. If you can't find out for sure then take an xacto or utility knife and cut parallel to the wire, so you cut the outside wire but not the inside ones. Then just peel back the outer wire to check, and if they aren't the same then just tape it back up.

MarkM
09-22-2003, 03:02 PM
mmm ok but even if there are 10 or 6 or 20 wires inside the cable that won't tell me if I can solder a new cable inside the keyboard...I think to be honest I need a keyboard internal wiring layout...I don't want to dismantle my current keyboard to check it out as that one works I just wanted a back-up for when I do get clumsy with a drink. I have spare extension keyboard cables so that is no cost and being as the (brand new) Dreamcast keyboard only cost me $0.76 :eek: :D