PDA

View Full Version : Noid wonders.

Skoad
09-22-2003, 08:29 PM
this is on an emag.

if i flipped the wires around on my noid, would it push instead of pull?

if not, could i just buy a push noid and connector and plug it in? or is the software the one telling it to "pull"?

athomas
09-22-2003, 08:40 PM
If the solenoid is pulling a nonmagnetic ferrite core, then the polarity does not matter. The solenoid will be either a pull or push type solenoid by design, but not both. If the solenoid is pulling a magnetic ferrite core then the polarity of the elecromagnet determines whether the solenoid pushes or pulls. The polarity of the electromagnet is determined by the polarity of the electricity applied.

Is the plunger of the mag solenoid magnetic? I never checked that myself. If it is, then it can be made to push. How much push it will have will be have to be tested. Most push type solenoids are less powerfull than their pull type counterparts.

Skoad
09-22-2003, 10:54 PM
im not sure on the emag, we'd need some deep blue info from mr tom i think :)

dinger
09-22-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by athomas
If the solenoid is pulling a nonmagnetic ferrite core, then the polarity does not matter. The solenoid will be either a pull or push type solenoid by design, but not both. If the solenoid is pulling a magnetic ferrite core then the polarity of the elecromagnet determines whether the solenoid pushes or pulls. The polarity of the electromagnet is determined by the polarity of the electricity applied.

Is the plunger of the mag solenoid magnetic? I never checked that myself. If it is, then it can be made to push. How much push it will have will be have to be tested. Most push type solenoids are less powerfull than their pull type counterparts.

AHH!! big words scare meeee