PDA

View Full Version : Who Else Can't Acess GOOGLE

Catch22
09-23-2003, 10:43 PM
What's wrong with google.com is somebody screwing with it because i can't get there and it says that my comp isn't setup to look at google.comand to edit a notepad file in the system32 folder and I'm pretty sure that yesterday my computer was fine and i'm not editing files i don't know what they are. Anybody else having this problem?

Prezents
09-23-2003, 10:52 PM
my laptop at work wigged out on Google, but my home pc and my wife's pc both see it.
?????????

PyRo
09-23-2003, 11:00 PM
Works fine for me, sorry dude.

edweird
09-24-2003, 12:24 AM
yeah... at home I got problems with all search engines in general. at work im fine.

weird stuff

Oh and I downloaded an anti spyware program to counter this but it changed nothing. :(

FooTemps
09-24-2003, 12:28 AM
it's happened to a ton of people around me... I think it's a virus.

Tyril
09-24-2003, 05:45 AM
It's a version of spyware.

what you need to do is open up notpade, and edit the file they tell you about. It is called hosts.xxx and basically controls the redirecting of domains on your computer. You just need to delete any entries pertaining to google, or any that all 'point' to the same IP. This IP is the spyware company's, and they are basically redirecting you from where you want to go.

It's really easy to fix, but is indicitive of a greater problem: your computer is vulnerable to spyware attacks.

-mike

edweird
09-24-2003, 01:30 PM
I fixed mine!

Fix typical for Windows XP

basicly open notepad...

then open file

set it to look for all files...

c drive/ windows/ system32/ drivers/ etc/ hosts

right click that file before opening it and take the read only protection off from it

then open it using notepad and delete any line containing google

then Save it (ensure its not saving as a text document but as "All Files")

Thenput the read only protection back on it ... and SHAZZAM!

you should beable to see google again.

the next step in the chain is to get rid of the spyware, and other adware that changed this in the first place.

UltimatePaintballer
09-24-2003, 08:26 PM
ha ha google work for me!!!:D

personman
09-24-2003, 08:29 PM
haha
http://www.google.com/intl/xx-hacker/
i r t3h 1337 h4x0rz!!!! 1! 1