PDA

View Full Version : anyone who has/had an impulse

soccer4minimags
09-23-2003, 10:59 PM
okay guys its basically like the title says. I'm looking for people who have an impulse or have owned one. I'm thinking about getting one and would like to know your long term pet peevs on the gun. NO, I don't want any SP bashing please, I've heard all the arguments for that and its not really gonna influence my decision.
Here is the deal, yes I have shot them before. but just shooting a marker and long term ownership are two different things. I'm looking at how much of a headache was this gun, was maintenance a pain. Anything in particular that really just got on your nerves after a long time. If I get one it will pretty much stay in semi-stock form. maybe a few upgrades like a blade trigger or something.
The reason I'm checking out impulses is one the ability to run co2 if I have to. and two, its within my budget right now for a new marker. Basically, I'm looking to try something else, it won't be a primary marker, no I have two RT's that will be ahead of it. :)
Once again I'm only looking on your first hand knowledge of the impulse, thanks for any advice.

LeatherPants
09-24-2003, 01:06 AM
I've owned an Adrenaline Impulse and my GF has/had a RAT Impulse with I took care of.

Personally I liked shooting hers over my Adrenaline. It just felt better. I sold my Adrenaline after playing with it 4 or 5 times. I just didn't like the feel of it.

As far as Impulses go I felt that they are higher maintenace that I was expecting. I mean the recommend cleaning the thing everytime you take it out.

You have to lube the hammer shaft and cylinder and don't foget the Max Flo. That thing has like 12 O rings and some of them are smaller than a ladybug.

All in all it's a good marker. Shoots fast and accurate. Certain mods will allow less kick. For some reason my Adrenaline has kick.

Also both the Impulses had the dreaded first shot dropoff FSDO. If you let the marker sit between games your first shot will just plop out.

On both markers I bought all the mods to fix that. My Adrenaline never got rid of it. The RAT is off and on.

Oh yea buy my GF's RAT!

TheTramp
09-24-2003, 09:05 AM
I think it's a great marker. The FSDO problem can be fixed and they can be very fast depending on your set-up.

If you get one I strongly suggest putting an LPR on it. With the LPR you can have the efficincy of high (150-200psi) imput pressure and very short dwell but still have the possibility of a ball pinching bolt pressure of 30-90psi depending on the internal upgrades you have.

soccer4minimags
09-24-2003, 10:14 AM
how much work is actually involved in tuning a LPR? I'm looking for a gun that I can just pick up and play with like my mags. The regular maintenance dosen't bother me, i don't mind lubing it and stuff. How difficult are these to trouble shoot? I can trouble shoot and repair mags and cockers fairly easily.
I wasn't really considering an LPR on the impulse. I didn't know it had the ability to pinch paint. How difficult is it to get that to work?
One more question. Did you guys have the vert regs or bottom line ones. If you had the bottom line ones how well did it work with your pre-sets. I keep getting conflicting stories of that. I prefer the bottom line reg. I like the feel of the gadget grip or whatever its called.
What hoppers were you all using. I use an eggII. and I suck at walking (not very fast on e-triggers) so I'm thinking I won't have a chopping problem.

Sparks
09-24-2003, 03:29 PM
i'd go with a new BKO over an impulse. You'll save yourself a lot of money, headaches from FSDO, constant lubing, dieing boards (a number of people near me have had problems with this). Also, the new BKOs have ROF limits at either 18 or 20 BPS, i'm not sure which, as opposed to the 10 of the first run of them.

FutureMagOwner
09-24-2003, 03:54 PM
i had an impulse i chop the impulse i sold an impulse i hate the impulse...

tony3
09-24-2003, 04:00 PM
I currently own a pretty much fully upgraded stock impulse, ehh, good trigger(blade), nice snappy return, its ok, not great, i defiently liked my old school rt more, i felt more comfortable shooting my rt. The gun doesnt preform like it should, it has over 500 bucks into it and still shoots like it has 100 bucks into it, needless to say, Im getting a new gun

nastymag
09-24-2003, 06:41 PM
i had a Vision imp with 300 bucks into it....

it never had FSDO, and it was the gun that i have been able to fire the fastest.

But the Maxflow gave me proplems consistently...i mean all the time ( yes i did clean it).

and the gun is also pretty heavy.
id say for the same price get a used LCD, in my opinion a much better gun overall.

kutter
09-24-2003, 07:13 PM
It is like anything else, some people like them others do not. I bought one just because I like to buy paintball guns, I bought the Sophomore package from www.e-paintballoutlet.com. In my opinion, its a whole lot of marker for my money. I use my SFL mostly, but I still break out the Impy some and play with it to.

Maybe I am lucky, I have never chopped a ball in my Impulse, but I am not especially fast on the trigger. It works every time I take it out, and compared to a 'Mag, yes even my SFL, its relatively light, not that I really care about that.

I happen to think that its a pretty good gun. I have not upgraded mine except for the bolt.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong...

iownamag
09-24-2003, 07:30 PM
Mine was a headache the whole time I owned it. It had electronic issues that were on-going for ever and I just didn't find it to be reliable at all. It is the kinda gun where every time you gas it up and turn it on you just pray that it will be shooting right, or shooting at all for that matter. I would stick to your mags if I were you. BTW, my setup was a 2k1 vision imp with werm frame, vert mazy, derlin bolt, and some other little stuff like a hammer and crap. I am back now to owing an emag and nothing beats it :D . go AGD!

soccer4minimags
09-24-2003, 08:36 PM
I think I'm starting to look at upgrading my current stuff somemore. I can't really put much more on my mags, and I'm pretty happy with them how they are. I'm considering e-blading (SP) my cocker. the only down side is its right feed so no chance for the eye. I figure I could live without the eye. It would be cheaper than an impulse and breathe new life into my cocker.

Major Ho
09-24-2003, 08:36 PM
I bought a real cheap stock, no frills imp. Not even with the maxflow. I stuck a sidewinder on there, got a vision kit(really easy to install btw) and the HSW Iframe. After and only after the Iframe did I like the gun.
With a sidewinder reg on it, it was real consistent and smooth shooting. Low recoil, and pretty low maintanence I think. I had it for a really short amount of time.

In conclusion, if you get the Iframe, I dont think you'll regret your decision on getting an imp. (even though smart parts is an evil empire)

Jon/xpm
09-24-2003, 09:47 PM
well ive owned several impys in the past...
two blue vision impyz
vision pewter rat
vision black nasty
vision faded toxic impy

Personally i would get a colored stock body impy
i would not get vision... when i had it i never used it...
plus the was board is out or is coming out for the impy
and that should be amazing and it comes with vision...

another key thing is
people say you need this and that on a impy
ive actually shot stock impy no upgrades other then a trigger and they have shot better then extremly tricked imps
so i would always suggestion is you try it before you upgrade it... also it is very smart you only go with one upgrade at a time to figure if this actually helps your gun or hurts your gun...

magsRus
09-25-2003, 10:26 AM
My father and I have both owned Impulses well he still owns his.

I had my Impulse for about a year. The Impuluse is in fact a good gun for a person who is starting to get into the electronic world of paintball. Its fast, easy to assemble & disassemble, and has the great ability to run on co2. When I had my impulse I usually always had problems though keeping the Max-flo consisent. It would bounce back and forth all the time and I repeatively clean the reg. I found the gun very heavy also. I used a stock colored bodied Impulse with lowrise, derlin bolt, TI pull pin, Kapp DropzoneII, 68/4500, 12volt Revy, FREAK bsrrel system. I found that gun extremely heavy. Gas effiencey was fine nothing to be happy over but nothing that was bad at all.

On the other hand my dad still uses his Impulse. He's had his Impulse for 2 years now and still works like a champ. He's upgraded everything but the stock body. He to sometimes has problems with the regulator climbing but never as bad as mine was.

Their very upgradeable