PDA

View Full Version : Pump-mag problem

TrevorK
09-24-2003, 02:50 PM
I just bought an Automag with a full pump kit installed, and I’m having a problem inducing "bolt-stick" with the wave spring. I figure I could do one of three things:

1. Because the wave spring looks like it slips partially behind the bolt bumper (which has an outer diameter just slightly larger than the inner diameter of the wave spring), I could replace the bumper with a washer of the same thickness and a larger outer diameter to hold the wave spring out better.

2. Clip the main spring because it may be returning the bolt with too much energy so the wave spring cannot slow it down fast enough to get the bolt to stick.

3. Replacing the power tube spacer with a smaller one, because I hear that having a spacer that is too small causes "bolt-stick".

This is the first Automag that I have owned so all I know about them is what I have read. If any of you guys have any experience with pump-mags, let me know what you think.

athomas
09-25-2003, 10:11 AM
The bumper absorbs the impact of the bolt returning after firing. You don't want to get rid of this. The wave spring should comfortably fit arount the ouside of the bumper. The bumper will act as a centering washer. and recoil absorbing device.

The wave spring holds the bolt forward to prevent the sear from catching and the on/off pin from allowing the front chamber to recharge. Its not really bolt stick, but it acts the same.

Putting a smaller spacer in will get real bolt stick. This will make your trigger pull a lot less crisp as well.

I would check you wave spring to see if it is the proper one or if it is weak.

cougar20th
09-25-2003, 12:15 PM
on my pumpmag i use a clear rt bumper. i had tryed everything else including cutting down a blue one. the clear worked the best for me.