PDA

View Full Version : Powdercoating a mag?

samalter
09-24-2003, 07:06 PM
can i powdercoat my minimag body? its gray now, i want it black?? or could i just spray paint it?

personman
09-24-2003, 07:15 PM
Yes, you can. I suggest talking to irbodden here on AO, or his AIM name is Rickisms. He can powdercoat your body for you at a fair price.

If you spraypaint, then it will most likely chip off.

samalter
09-24-2003, 07:20 PM
Will it turn out nice?

irbodden
09-24-2003, 07:25 PM
Hi,

Powdercoating will turn out much nicer then spray paint, not like that is saying much.

A simple black (gloss or satin) is no prob. :)

Konigballer
09-25-2003, 03:27 AM
hey, can u powdercoat(gloss finish) black a standard mag rail or do u just have to apply the gloss coat cause its black already? How much would that cost?

space_weazel_45
09-25-2003, 12:39 PM
if its a polished stainless body the polish used to make it that way can cause the powdercoating to wear faster than normal steel, so ive been told by about 4 different powdercoating shops in my area. but if its sand blasted first your supposed to get better results but its still an isue, not to take away form any one looking to powdercoat for this guy but have you thought of electroplating? thats how the black is applied on the AGD bodies.

space_weazel_45
09-25-2003, 12:41 PM
Konigballer

powdercoating aluminum is even less likely to work thats why theres anodizing.

Albinonewt
09-25-2003, 12:55 PM
Irbodden:

Can you do my E-Mag shiney white?

irbodden
09-25-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Albinonewt
Irbodden:

Can you do my E-Mag shiney white?

Yep.

pointm@n
09-25-2003, 07:03 PM
Powdercoating will look much better than just spray painting the body. I have the rail, barrel, screw and shocktech drop (not pictured) powdercoated. I bought the gun and it was powdercoated by the previous owner so I can't give you much more info. See below:

http://home.comcast.net/~acuestaj/images/dscf0002.jpg

irbodden - Are you able to color match powder coating? I wanted to get more stuff powdercoated to match the current yellow. thanks

Albinonewt
10-01-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by irbodden
Yep.

Sent you a PM

cphilip
10-01-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by space_weazel_45
if its a polished stainless body the polish used to make it that way can cause the powdercoating to wear faster than normal steel, so ive been told by about 4 different powdercoating shops in my area. but if its sand blasted first your supposed to get better results but its still an isue, not to take away form any one looking to powdercoat for this guy but have you thought of electroplating? thats how the black is applied on the AGD bodies.

No...you just scuff it a little and the polished ones powder coat just fine. There is no "wear" difference at all. The key is the bond of the matterial when it is sprayed on. And that is done with electostatic charge to attract it. If its clean it will stick. Then its baked to make it melt and spread and bond to itself. Its sort if like Plastic Coating something in the end. However the powder coater should take care not to allow tolerance changes in the area where the body meets the rail. Either make is real thin there or even cover that area to make sure none of that area gets coated. Those areas are critical to the Mags operation. It's part of its "Timing" so to speak is the tolerance fit of the body to the rail. Although powder coating is very thin and durable it can take that tolerance outside of acceptable limits. I had several of them done without incident. They all worked fine. But they CAN mess up. So that is why AGD does not support powder coating. Most of these guys here that powder coat them know these things and take the nessicary precautions to avoid this so stick with one of them if you decide to do it. They will know what to do. Some other powder coaters will know nothing about this.

I believe the black bodies that AGD does now are "Parkerized". I am guessing at that though. If not its something similar to that. That is a process of chemical reaction with I think involves exposing them to concentrated Sulfuric Acid. Similar to anno in Aluminum is done in a way but not quite. I looked up that technech once and its commonly used on real guns for a off black rougher non reflective finish. It can only turn it black. They used to Teflon coat them way back but that was expensive and now they use some other sort of blackening. It's not an electronic process if its Parkerized like I am guessing. But then again I could be wrong.

Big'n slo
10-01-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by space_weazel_45

As cphilip stated above polished bodies can be coated. All parts should be thoroughly cleaned then "baked" and cooled before the powdercoating. This "cooks" out all trapped dirt, polish, wax or what have you.

I powdercoat alot of car and bike parts for my other projects. :D