PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use glow in the dark paint?

Big'n slo
09-25-2003, 09:37 AM
Just wondering if anyone has used the UV loader and GITD paint yet? How well does it glow / shoot?
888 had a package deal for a case of paint and the UV loader for $130 or so, I've been thinking of picking it up to play around with.

Smokee_2_7
09-25-2003, 10:37 AM
we use it at our field. We do glow in the dark games and parties/ stuff. It works GREAT! theres really not too much to say about it. . . the balls glow just like they are supposed to: and do continue to glow for around 30seconds when they break on target. The only thing you have to watch out for is the non-motorized ricochet UV's. you will definitly have to shake and shoot. waiting for a motorized model- - don't know if i want to have my halo converted yet, though.

Carl

Big'n slo
09-25-2003, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the info smokee,

I assume they hsve somewhat of a "tracer" effect when fired?
I figured these would be cool for small group, night pump games.

Now I'm thinking of popping a couple of these (http://www.eled.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=LEDs&category%5Fname=&product%5Fid=E2523UVC&OVRAW=Ultraviolet%20LEDs&OVKEY=led%20ultraviolet&OVMTC=standard) into one of my revvys.

LeatherPants
09-25-2003, 01:02 PM
I saw a PSP (I think) in Vegas and they had a trial glow in the dark event. From a spectator's point of view it looked pretty cool. Kinda looked like Star Wars. But we noticed that the paint wasn't breaking as good.

BUT it was cool even though we couldn't see players just paint.

rikkter
09-25-2003, 01:19 PM
i used it one time at a scenario. if you got a good good glow on them, then they look like lasers going through the air, it was pretty neat. but it wasn't worth the money to me, every 10 minutes we had to stick our flashlights in the lid of our hoppers.

Big'n slo
09-25-2003, 01:36 PM
rikkter,

Were you using the Ricochet UV/AK Loader?

Smokee_2_7
09-25-2003, 01:40 PM
rikkter,

with the hoppers ya use for them now, sticking flashlights in the hoppers is a thing of the past. there's 7 l.e.d. blacklights mounted inside the hopper, and it has a reflective coating on the inside helps ensure that all the balls get a good charge.

big'n slo,
yes, it's a 'traccer' effect. except for the fact that its EVERY ball that glows, not just every 10th, or whatever.

It would be kinda cool for pump games, but most likely wouldnt work too good, and heres why: once the balls are charged up, id say that they glow brightly for about 45 seconds. Remember that the balls are charged in the hopper, not the feedneck. although some of the light from the blacklights gets down into the feedneck, its not that much. what happens (even in semi-games) is that the first ball or 2 out of your gun dosent glow as much (or not at all) depending on how long that ball has been sitting in the chamber. If you havent fired the gun in over a minute, the first ball out will usually not glow at all (or very faintly). The only way I can see to get around this is to rig up a mini black light in the breech area somewhere-- so the ball is still being charged as its sitting waiting to be fired.

As far as the paint quality goes, we've been very impressed. When we get it straight from wrethced 7, the stuff breaks about as good as any 'field' grade ball ive ever seen -- maybe a little bit better. It definitly wasnt behaving like rocks. Consistancy of the balls has always been very good, also. no one really had any complaints about accuracy, unless they left their paint sitting open for an hour or so(an hour or so in the open air in mobile is about like taking your paint and microwaving it for a minute or 2. )

rikkter
09-25-2003, 01:40 PM
no, at the time it wasn't available. but i feel i shouldn't HAVE to buy a new loader for paint, you know?
we were actually 'testing' the paint before it hit the main streams and such. it did break nice however, it just looked REALLY bad if you look at the paint in daylight.

Big'n slo
09-25-2003, 02:03 PM
Thanks guys.

Smokee, I was checkin warpigs review of theUV/AK (http://www.warpig.com/paintball/technical/loaders/ricochet_uv/review.shtml) and it shows an array of LEDs in the feedneck. I can see the ball in the breech losing charge after some time but those in the feedneck should stay charged.

rikkter, I figure $30 bucks for a loader isn't too bad and if I stick with pump games an agitated loader wouldn't matter much.

JT2002
09-25-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Smokee_2_7
waiting for a motorized model- - don't know if i want to have my halo converted yet, though.

Carl how would u convert your halo?

FooTemps
09-25-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by JT2002
how would u convert your halo?

They do the inner coating thing and add some lights to the inside

JT2002
09-25-2003, 06:52 PM
how much

Bonez
09-25-2003, 11:05 PM
FooTemps,

From talking with Paul from Night Paintball (http://www.nightpaintball.com), I was under the impression that they could retro fit the UV lights into Halo's.

You might want to give them and email.

Also, from first hand experience, the paint works great with the light powered hoppers. In the woods at night, just after a game, it's kinda spooky with all the trees glowing green.

It looks amazing going through a warpfeed.

-Hal

Smokee_2_7
09-26-2003, 01:05 AM
rikkter,

I must disagree with you about 'having' to buy a new loader for paint. Under normal circumstances, i would agree. However, we're talking about GLOW in the dark paint, a COMPLETELY different ballgame from what we are used to. I fully understand that somthing is necessary to make the balls glow, using the hopper for that purpose is the best idea so far (anyone remember tracerballs?). Additionally, that idea works.

as far as glowing halos. .

there are advertisements in a couple magazines (SPLATT, for sure) that show halos retrofitted with glow kits for glow-ball.

carl

trev_pbller
09-26-2003, 05:25 AM
Carl, in this months APG there is an ad with a Halo B sitting there full of gitd balls. Says distrbuted by NPS, and has the dark legion paintballs there as well. All lit up, looks very neat! Page 56 in October issue.

Trev

swat150
09-26-2003, 10:50 AM
hey i wonder if you could tape a small light in your hoper and keep it on all the time while playing. I thonk it would work. And it would be alot cheaper

Bad_Dog
09-26-2003, 11:54 PM
what about warp??

do you think theres any logical way to use warp with this stuff... it would be like a 10 - 12 in feed neck?

VanGogo
09-27-2003, 01:03 AM
Ok, I'll take over for Smokee now. LOL.

1. The halo mod is advertised, but has yet to be produced, or at least sold on the open market. (You know how these paintball companies hype something for months to finally come out with a version that needs constant revision to work right, or it just dies away with nothing ever being produced.)

2. You don't have to buy a hopper to play glow in the dark ball, because at Xtreme Paintball we rent them for our walk on glow games. $10 fees get you a hopper with battery for the night, and 2 colored glow bracelets. (each team gets a different color so you know who is on what team) Here is how we do it. Glow bracelets are placed on the side, or around the mouth area of the goggles, and around the asa-drop-etc. Hiding these with your hands is "legal", but to shoot you will have to uncover at least one if not both. When a player is eliminated, they unclasp the glow bracelet from their marker and wave it above their head signifying they are dead, and continue do do this until they exit the field.
We have also played treasure hunt by adding blinking leds to objects, then placing them all over the field.(it was fun to find a treasure then wait a few yards off for one of the other team to find it, is it illegal to lay bait for paintballers??)

3. We have been using these for .......humm has it been almost a year already?? We were one of the few fields to get the very first batch of these loaders produced. They all still work flawlessly. Here's a hint or 2, put a small piece of tape over the led in the back of the hopper(so you aren't blinded by the light), don't use a clear elbow or tape over yours if it is see through, and oh yeah WEAR BLACK. LOL

4. Warp feed would lessen the glow because of the travel time, and if you didn't shoot for a few minutes it would take 15-20 balls before you hit ones that have a charge. But as some one said, they do look cool going through the warp feed, just not very practicle for in game.