PDA

View Full Version : Minimag questions

Konigballer
09-25-2003, 04:56 PM
hey guys, I'm planning on building a minimag and I had some questions. I'm hoping to have it look something like the minimag on the right in the pic I posted.

1st. I wanted my mag rail and minimag body painted a gloss black to match my inteliframe. I was told the best way to do this would be to have them anodized instead of powdercoated. Is this true? And how much would that cost?

2nd. Is is feasible or practical to cut down the powerfeed tube a little to lower the profile. From pics it looks like theirs about 1/2 or
3/4ths of an inch that can be cut down. Is this possible?

3rd. This is a real duh question, but if I'm right handed and I want to get warp for it, I get the minimag body hopper right so the warp stuff will be on the left of the gun right guys?

LaW
09-25-2003, 05:02 PM
1. You cannot anodize stainless steel.... so you can only get it powdercoated.

2. Yeah you can cut it down a little bit...

3. Yeah

ZAust
09-25-2003, 05:06 PM
1. you cant anno the body, because its stainless. but you can anno the rail. you would need to strip the matte black anno, then put on the new stuff. im not sure how much this costs, but it could be pretty cheap if you sent it in with a batch someone else is doing. some annodizers to check out are a+ and pk selective.

2. yeah, you can cut down the body, but read #3.

3. have you thought about a warp ule body instead? that way, theres really no over the top profile. if thats out of the question, yes, you would want hopper right. then you can either buy and extended power feed plug or you can cut down the feed neck.

PyRo
09-25-2003, 06:56 PM
Hmm are those mainbodys powdercoated or just painted? Thats like exactly what I want.

Konigballer
09-25-2003, 07:14 PM
ZAust, I dont want a ULE bod, just cause I have a preference for minimag bodies. What would you cut down the body with, I dont have a dremel so would it be better to just take it to a machineshop and have them lop it off? How durable is powdercoating?

PyRo, I dont know who those minis belong to but their slick are'nt they:) I think the picks in the Official Automag pics thread but thats a lot of pages to sift through.

Big'n slo
09-25-2003, 07:25 PM
Both of those bodies are powdercoated. Powdercoating is much more durable than paint.

For cutting the body down, go to home depot (hardware) store and buy a cheap tubing cutter, makes a nice straight clean cut.

Big'n slo
09-25-2003, 07:27 PM
tubing/pipe cutter

Konigballer
09-25-2003, 07:44 PM
cool Big'n Slo, I would cut it before I send it off to be powdercoated I'm assuming.

Big'n slo
09-25-2003, 09:08 PM
Konigballer, yup.

samalter
09-25-2003, 09:08 PM
how much do you think i should cut it? and why are there no hoses on those mini's?

Big'n slo
09-25-2003, 09:11 PM
You have to leave enough for your elbow to clamp onto. Usually about an inch of neck from the top intersecting point.
Good question on the hoses.
:confused:

Creative Mayhem
09-25-2003, 09:31 PM
as far as the hoses go, they prolly didnt want them cluttering up the smooth lines:D They are a couple sexay minis...

/me likes

space_weazel_45
09-25-2003, 11:16 PM
instead of powdercoating which may wear faster than normal. you could have it electroplated thats how the AGD bodys are made black [same way tefflon is coated to a pan and paint to a car] and it sticks

rkjunior303
09-26-2003, 11:17 AM
the mini on the left has the lines on the left side of the marker while on the right, they are on the right.. one is a right feed the other is a left feed.. you can see the connections on the gas-thru so they are defintely there.. if you look closely, you can see an elbow on the right one, in the back..