PDA

View Full Version : a student attempted suicide on my campus today...

impostal22
09-25-2003, 09:00 PM
he jumped from the 15th floor of our library tower..and lived. two things...even though he's alive, the fact that that happened where i'm at...basically literally where i was...scares/depresses the crap out of me...and secondly, how is he alive?

anyway, that event definitely occupied my mind for HOURS today, and here i am at my favorite place looking for feedback.

Lopy-slopy
09-25-2003, 11:03 PM
He might have landed in something soft like a bush or a tree mabey even grass. that is freaky tho

PyRo
09-25-2003, 11:09 PM
Hmm isn't it somthing like 180ft is the most a human can survive jumping into water? How badly was he hurt? Did he jump into the pool or somthing?

DiSoRdeR
09-25-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by impostal22
he jumped from the 15th floor of our library tower...
He had to of broken more than a couple bones... But any 1 who attepts suicide needs some serious counceling

DiSoRdeR
09-25-2003, 11:28 PM
A guy cuts his penis off and another guy jumps off a roof, there are just some messed up people out there...

ZAust
09-26-2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by DiSoRdeR
A guy cuts his dick off and another guy jumps off a roof, there are just some F***ed up people out there...

so true, so true..

FooTemps
09-26-2003, 12:17 AM
i'd fix that cuss word, you'll get into the trouble with the mods for cussing/cirumventing the cuss filter.

Yeah, people are screwed up, all you can do is have hope and try to keep everyone normal.

heftylefty
09-26-2003, 12:32 AM
it seems like suicide is more common these days. there have been a couple at our school already. definetely knocks you in the head when you think and gets you wondering why they would do that.

BlackVCG
09-26-2003, 01:23 AM
It happened last year in my Junior year of college. A kid hung himself on his rope ladder to his loft.

OfficerGoat
09-26-2003, 05:46 AM
So far as how far can somoene fall and live.. it all depends..... Folks have fallen 10 ft and died ... and others have fallen out of airplanes and lived.

During WWII a paratrooper droped from his C147 and fell to the ground w/no chute..... hit the ground in the middle of a feild, bounced three or 4 times and walked away from the incident... how folks can survive this sorta stuff no one really knows, but it has been known to happen.

shartley
09-26-2003, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by heftylefty
it seems like suicide is more common these days.
I don’t think there is more now days, I think it just gets more press. Kind of like the “Shark Attack” thing. Just because you hear about it more does not mean it happens more.

Why? Because I remember quite a few suicides of both adults and kids when I was growing up. It was not an unheard of thing.. heck it was more common than divorce as I recall.

With that said, I agree with what was posted by another…. Anyone who is contemplating suicide needs to seek counseling… or a good “how to” book.

Albinonewt
09-26-2003, 07:23 AM
Yeah, it's never good when someone has abandoned hope to the point that they're willing to kill themself. I've known a few people that killed themselves, although none of them were people I was close with.

Lakeview Bulldog
09-26-2003, 02:30 PM
The farthest I have ever heard anyone falling and living was from a height of 26,000 feet. It was a russian pilot who had to bail out of his aircraft during World War two. He hit a mountain that was covered in snow and survived. He was seriously injured, but, come on. So I can see how the kid survived. That reminds me of a movie where two college kids find out that if one of their roommates commits suicide they get all A's for the rest of the year. I can't remember what it was called tho. Great flick.

PyRo
09-26-2003, 02:48 PM
Wow thats pretty high. He hit a mountain though, so he didn't actually fall 26,000 to sea level. But thats like wow.

Albinonewt
09-26-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Lakeview Bulldog
That reminds me of a movie where two college kids find out that if one of their roommates commits suicide they get all A's for the rest of the year. I can't remember what it was called tho. Great flick.

I belive you're talking about The Curve starring Matthew Lillard

PyRo
09-26-2003, 03:39 PM
I thought that was Dead Man On Campus?

Hexis
09-26-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by shartley
With that said, I agree with what was posted by another…. Anyone who is contemplating suicide needs to seek counseling… or a good “how to” book.

And how is that appropriate?

Depression is not a joke. People who are depressed to the point of suicide need help and support, not ridicule. SHartley you have shown much insensitivity here before, but this takes the cake.

AngelBoy
09-26-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Hexis

And how is that appropriate?

Depression is not a joke. People who are depressed to the point of suicide need help and support, not ridicule. SHartley you have shown much insensitivity here before, but this takes the cake.

I dont think he was trying to ridicule. I think he just meant that if someone is comptemplating suicide, that they really should get help... Which is what you just said yourself. I think you just took his post the wrong way.

jdev
09-26-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Lakeview Bulldog
That reminds me of a movie where two college kids find out that if one of their roommates commits suicide they get all A's for the rest of the year. I can't remember what it was called tho. Great flick.

yes, this was Dead Man On Campus, with Mark Paul Gosselar, Lochlyn Munro, and Tom Everett Scott

SpongeBobSquarePants
09-26-2003, 05:29 PM
Well I to think you took SHartlys post the wrong way. However, even if he meant it the other way I will defend that as well. Anyone who is serious enough to actually take there own life, should at least do it right. I mean there should be no such thing as a suicide "attempt" either you do or you don't. Most "attempts" are really just crys for attenion/help. However,in the case we are talking about I think God was on this guys side. Most people who fall that far don't live if they don't have a purpose. So flame me if you want but thats my opinion.

Yamz
09-26-2003, 06:41 PM
Having delt with this kind of thing more times than I would ever wish on another man. It is in fact that most people who "attempt" to kill themselves do not wish to die they are only trying to get help or they feel the NEED for attention soo much that they think this is an option. Both these people need help... But like I said above I have delt with this more times than i wish to and if they want my sympathy or attention they will not get either. I will most likely smack them and walk away.(could just be a little bitter about past experiences though) Not really but oh how much I would love to.

UltimatePaintballer
09-26-2003, 07:01 PM
if you fail in life, then fail at commiting suicide, well idk what that guys going to do:rolleyes: but did you see him do it:confused:

Hexis
09-26-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by SpongeBobSquarePants
Well I to think you took SHartlys post the wrong way. However, even if he meant it the other way I will defend that as well. Anyone who is serious enough to actually take there own life, should at least do it right. I mean there should be no such thing as a suicide "attempt" either you do or you don't. Most "attempts" are really just crys for attenion/help. However,in the case we are talking about I think God was on this guys side. Most people who fall that far don't live if they don't have a purpose. So flame me if you want but thats my opinion.

Perhaps you will feel differently if you ever have someone you care about feels so depressed that they attempt to take their own life. Well I have had a sibling attempt suicide, and it was a cry for help. He was in so much pain from the depression that he felt that it was the only way to get anyone to believe how much pain he was in. I'm extremely grateful that he did not succeed. I consider all of my time with him now to be a gift.

A suicide attempt cry for attention is not like “Hey! Look at me!”, it’s more like “Help me, I don’t know what to do”.

MagmanLee
09-26-2003, 08:29 PM
i read somewhere that the US has the highest teen sucided rates in the world, why is that? We have like the best standards of living here.
Oh, a weeks ago a yugoslavian paratrooper's chute failed to deploy at 6000 ft. and he survived, i saw it on cnn

ß?µ£ §mµ®ƒ
09-26-2003, 09:45 PM
if there was no media or news finding every little story from all the ends of the earth, giving us all the stuff we want to hear scandals, wars, religion, isreal + packistain and gay rights, you wouldnt hear most of the stuff that goes on and it would all be peaceful

thats my opinion

1stdeadeye
09-27-2003, 07:49 AM
Suicide=bad

I am a firm believer that only death is permanant! Everything else can be fixed or changed. Remember, you only lose when you quit playing the game!

Amazing fall though. As for the height thing, people jump off bridges all the time. Sometimes they live, sometimes they die. We have had 2 here in the last six months. 1 on the Walt Whitman Bridge and one off of the Ocean City/Longport bridge (that one was before the new bridge even opened!). Both died here though!:(