PDA

View Full Version : Z-grip RTP not cycling

CMDane
09-25-2003, 09:06 PM
Ok, I've had this problem for a while. I bought one of the first generation Z-grips with the wings to put pn my RTP. I had to remove the wings to get the Z to mount to my rail. After trying to get the bloody thing working, I've shortened the trigger rod to 1.921 to get it to fire. If I keep the rod at the recommended 1.980, it doesn't cycle at all.

With the rod at 1.921, I can rip a string of shots, then the bolt stops cycling. To get it to cycle again, I have to unscrew the tank, then re-gas.

I am not attempting to sweet spot the trigger in any way.

Anyone have any ideas? Is it possible that I need to remove more material from the top of the Grip, or have I removed too much? I'm running out of ideas here.

Thanks in advance,
Charles

PyRo
09-25-2003, 09:11 PM
Ok, when you gas up the gun, look at the trigger rod. Now hold the trigger as far foward as it will go. Is the trigger rod touching the back of the trigger?

CMDane
09-25-2003, 09:24 PM
No, there is approx. 1/32" between the face of the trigger rod and the back of the trigger.

CMDane
09-25-2003, 11:22 PM
So, I was sitting there, thinking about the age of the grip, then it struck me. It's an old grip, I would guess one of the first batch. It doesn't even have any logos on it. That would date it at approx. '95 to 96. The RTP wasn't developed until 3 to 4 years later, depending on who you talk to.

So, I get this wild hair and decide to drop the Z on my Micromag RT. Gas it up and it rips. Pull out the Micro valve and put in the RTP valve. Leak out the back, but it shoots. Then it hit me. If the valve cycles on the Micro with the trigger rod properly adjusted, but not on the RTP with the rod adjusted to any length, what is the difference between the two valves?

The On-off pin.

I adjust the RTP trigger rod back out to 1.980", put the Z back on and the Micro valve in and gas her up. Shoots like a dream! Swap on-off pins between the RTP and Micro Valves, put the RTP valve in and sweet! Shoots like she did the first time I gassed her up.

That .015" difference in the length of the on-off pin has had me going nuts for months! I guess that is another testament to the high standards of manufacturing from AGD.

Charles

PyRo
09-25-2003, 11:43 PM
Glad you figured it out :)
Have fun with the z-grip, i love mine.