PDA

View Full Version : Warp Feed Drive Belt in MN on short notice?

raehl
09-26-2003, 11:23 AM
The drive belt on my warp feed snapped - anyone know where I could score one in the Western WI/Mineeapolis area by, oh, 7 AM tomorrow morning? ;) (I.e. is there a hardware store equivalent, or a generous AO member out there?)

Thanks,
Chris

hitech
09-26-2003, 11:39 AM
It is just a big oring. You could try looking at a hardward store. I have an extra one, but I can't get it there from CA by tomorrow morning. ;)

notime2smile
09-26-2003, 11:44 AM
This might help you out
It is just a big oring. You could try looking at a hardward store. I have an extra one, but I can't get it there from CA by tomorrow morning.

Here is the exact specications for the oring you are gonna need

http://obdo.flipty.com/mods-12vwarpfeed.htm

What you'll need for this project is a new drive belt slightly smaller than the original. I found mine at Orchard Supply Hardware in the plumbing section but I'm told Radio Shack sells these things through the catalog.

At O.S.H. this is called an O Ring and it's 1 1/2" X 1 3/8" in size, they cost about 50 cents
Once inside you'll see a black drive. The belt sits on the motor as well as goes around a pretty large drive wheel which drives the main wheel that pushes the paintballs.
Remove this belt and replace it with your new smaller belt. The smaller belt will slip at a slightly higher resistance level making it feed more reliably. Rubber belts however stretch over time so it may be necessary to replace the belt every few months to maximum effectiveness. If you notice it slipping before balls get to the gun, that'll probably be the best indicator that you should replace the belt.
Now go out in your yard with the cover still off your warp feed and tweak the dwell. I highly recommend not having the wheel spin a lot and slip. So make sure you set the dwell to serve an average of the speed you shoot. On mine I have 1 jumper and will probably play with putting a 2nd jumper on there now that I've done the 12v upgrade.
If you have 4 jumpers on there and have never adjusted the dwell, chances are the jumpers are mounted inactive meaning it's like they're not even on. This gives you the longest spin per vibration and don't recommend this. Having the wheel slip because the spin is too long for the speed you shoot will put excess heat and stress on the drive wheel mounted to the motor. If it heats up too much due to friction, the head could snap off rendering your Warp Feed useless and un-repairable without parts. You can see in the previous picture how the jumpers should be mounted. The jumper pool on the left is the dwell and that jumper pool has one active jumper (on the right) and 2 inactive jumpers on the left.

should be all you need to know

AGD
09-26-2003, 12:37 PM
Most hardware stores carry a selection you can find one in.

AGD

Muzikman
09-26-2003, 12:47 PM
This is why I own three warps and enough parts to build another one;)

Curly
09-26-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Muzikman
This is why I own three warps and enough parts to build another one;)

So people that actually play paintball should have like six?

:D

Muzikman
09-26-2003, 05:54 PM
Ya got that right!

raehl
09-26-2003, 06:29 PM
The plumbing section advice was good, found exactly what I needed. I suppose I should change my drive belt more often than once every two years. ;) Amazing how much the thing had stretched though - was slightly bigger than the 1 5/8 x 1 1/2 o ring (had about 3/4" extra length to it).

- Chris