PDA

View Full Version : Ferrari F-50 Stolen during test drive in Philly!

Mango
09-26-2003, 01:36 PM
HAHAHA This conman rocks. I think this is hilarious. The car is valued at $729,000!!!

He dropped off salesman - and took off in Ferrari
By JIM NOLAN

You think YOU'VE had a bad day.

How'd you like to be the trusting Main Line Ferrari salesman who got out of the passenger seat to switch places with a prospective customer last week, only to be left at the curb?

In case you're wondering, that was a $729,000 f-50 Ferrari. Red, of course.

The salesman, not to mention Lower Merion police, are still looking for the car, which detectives believe may have been driven into a trailer shortly after it was stolen for shipment overseas or a black market transaction.

Even harder to believe is that the silver-tongued con man was able to get behind the wheel of the Italian roadster without even showing a driver's license, according to police.

It all happened Sept. 16 at Algar Ferrari, on Lancaster Avenue, in Rosemont, one of only 32 Ferrari and Maserati dealerships in North America.

Lower Merion police said a man called the dealership saying he was flying up from Atlanta and was interested in a red, 1995, f-50 in stock.

He arrived wearing a shirt and tie and a Rolex watch, acting affluent and telling the salesmen that his limo was parked next door in the Acme parking lot.

Salesmen always accompany prospective customers on test drives. But police said that after the first test drive with the salesman behind the wheel, the con man asked to take another spin driving himself, saying he was concerned about the brakes.

Police said he told the dealership that he left his wallet and license at the airport. Nevertheless, a manager agreed to let him drive with the salesman.

Around 5 p.m. on Spring Mill Road, the man asked if the salesman would drive the rest of the way back to the dealership.

"When the salesman gets out, he just takes off," said Det. Charles J. Craig, who is handling the case.

Despite rush hour and rapid police deployment to the area, there was no trace of the car, leading cops to suspect the con man had accomplices.

"This took a lot of planning," said Craig.

Police released a description of the Ferrari thief - White, around 6-foot, slender, with short, clean-cut, reddish-brown hair and glasses. The Ferrari is pretty hard to miss.

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/news/local/6864656.htm

shartley
09-26-2003, 01:41 PM
HeeHee

Not only looking for a stolen car... but now looking for a new job. ;)

Big'n slo
09-26-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by SprayingMango
Police released a description of the Ferrari thief - White, around 6-foot, slender, with short, clean-cut, reddish-brown hair and glasses. The Ferrari is pretty hard to miss.

They've got it all wrong,

I'm six three with goatee...sheesh
:D

1stdeadeye
09-26-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Big'n slo

They've got it all wrong,

I'm six three with goatee...sheesh

Shhhh Jeff! They might be on to us. Buy the way it is my turn to drive the "car" this weekend!:D ;)

Will Wood
09-26-2003, 02:50 PM
Haha, that's great.

I bet it's gonna be on ebay soon :rolleyes:

e mag
09-26-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Will Wood
Haha, that's great.

I bet it's gonna be on ebay soon :rolleyes:
There was actually an F40 on ebay a few weeks ago. Kind of makes me want to go steal a ferrari, the article says "This took a lot of planning", but it really doesn't seem like it. He just had to have a trailer waiting near wherever he had planned to stop and have the dealer get out.

rtslave
09-26-2003, 06:54 PM
People are way too trusting these days, I can't belive that a 750,000$ car didn't have "Lo- Jac" or something in it..

Surreal
09-26-2003, 07:04 PM
"This took a lot of planning," said Craig.

AHHHAHAHAHHAHAHA!! alot of planning? that was one of the most simple plans i've EVER heard!! LOLOL!!

Konigballer
09-26-2003, 11:24 PM
not planning fellas......BALLZ. And ballz that big must be respected:)

gimp
09-27-2003, 12:14 AM
Yeah, it takes ballz. It's simple to steal one of these cars, but who is gonna do it? If you get caught, your screwed.

I saw a brand new ferarri in Montreal last weekend. We stopped right next to him at a light. Soon as the light was green, he was gone, already at the next light. Then we moved. Man that thing was fast. To bad I blew all my money on beer and strippers. I'm never gonna be able to afford a car like that.

Marek
09-27-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by rtslave
People are way too trusting these days, I can't belive that a 750,000$ car didn't have "Lo- Jac" or something in it..

I'm with you. I would think they would have some sort of tracking system on the really pricey car.

Automaggin2
09-27-2003, 08:31 AM
wow, how can they not find a 700,000 dollar ferrari? You cant miss it

FooTemps
09-27-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Automaggin2
wow, how can they not find a 700,000 dollar ferrari? You cant miss it

Oh it's really easy for a car like that to just disappear, it's called long term storage or putting the thing into a trailer or putting it in a cargo box for shipment overseas or maybe driving that thing out of the state into the middle of nowhere.

Mango
09-27-2003, 03:01 PM
Here is a pic of the car.

It's been described in the autoworld as "Part Batmobile...part ballistic missle." 0 to 60 in about 4 seconds. Top Speed 203 MPH.

There were only 349 ever made also.

Surreal
09-27-2003, 03:03 PM
w0w .. that's hot.

Mango
09-27-2003, 03:09 PM
http://www.wreckedexotics.com/f50/f50_040202_005.jpg

Make that 348 still out there. This is a true story, the guy lost control while trying to drive at Leguna Seca Raceway. Must be nice to be filthy rich.

FooTemps
09-27-2003, 03:11 PM
http://www.wreckedexotics.com/f50/f50_040202_005.jpg

Make that 348 still out there. This is a true story, the guy lost control while trying to drive at Leguna Seca Raceway. Must be nice to be filthy rich.

Man, if he could afford to buy it, he could afford to fix it.

Surreal
09-27-2003, 03:12 PM
you can't fix that, it's beyond fixable.

RenagadeOfFunk
09-27-2003, 03:37 PM
aww poor carsales man...lucky con-man ;), but its a sex car...