PDA

View Full Version : how to make my computer run faster?

rehme
09-26-2003, 04:07 PM
how can i make my computer faster i have been deleting unusefull things but it is not going any faster. any help guys?

FalconGuy016
09-26-2003, 04:13 PM
How do you mean?
Deleting stuff might let you have more memory to play with, but that would only help you if you were congested in the first place. The only thing you can do is upgrade your computer hardware wise

mikey101
09-26-2003, 05:04 PM
There's always overclocking which is fun stuff..

jdev
09-26-2003, 05:12 PM
you could carry it up 3 flights of stairs, find a window, and throw it out of it.. you computer would be moving pretty fast then :D

on a more serious note. you could overclock the processor, provided your motherbord can support it. you could upgrade the processor alltogether, and pick up some more RAM. that may help.

.joe.

nippinout
09-26-2003, 05:13 PM
In Run, enter this: msconfig

Go to the startup tab and take the checkbox on stuff you don't need to load. Crap like Real Player, Quicktime, AIM... It just takes longer to start up.

Defrag your hard drive. Go to My COmputer and right-click on your C: drive. Click on properties and under the tools tab, go to the defragmentation. This may require another step involving error-checking. Defragging moves data/files/programs to be consecutive on the hard drive so things can read/write/access faster.

dave_p
09-26-2003, 08:56 PM
nippinout has the right idea. go to msconfig go to startup tab and uncheck everything but systray, explorer and your anti virus/firewall. you dont need anything else loading on startup. get rid of all the pesky stuff in the systray except the clock. empty your startup folder(make a folder called disabled startup and move it all there). empty windows/cookies, windows/temporary internet files and windows/temp. do it manually, disk cleanup doesnt do a good job. go to find files, or search(os dependent)and search for all *.tmp files and delete them all.

next thing to do is buy some memory if you still find the hard drive thrashing every time you switch between 2 or 3 open windows.

trojans and spyware will also bog down a system good.