PDA

View Full Version : Indoor Velocity Issue

InexactMelissa
09-26-2003, 06:15 PM
Here's the situation: I have commandeered an RT (not pro) from my boyfriend and have just started playing. Many of my friends have been playing for years, and now I am hooked. I thought a good way to try to learn and catch up with them a bit would be to play on the indoor field after work. You can see the problem coming....I can't get the RT to chrono low enough for indoor. I've gone through the entire Lvl10 thread and umpteen carrier/oring/spring combinations. The best solution I have heard is to swap the level 10 for the level 7 for indoor use. The current configuration is a 2 carrier, no shims, smallest spring (never got the larger ones to work) and have tried it with a couple of different tanks.

Any thoughts?

i_baked_cookies
09-26-2003, 06:24 PM
do u have an adjustable tank? make the pressure lower maybe.

InexactMelissa
09-26-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by smee
do u have an adjustable tank? make the pressure lower maybe.

I don't think that's the problem unless I just really don't get how this thing works. I thought the rt valve acted as a regulator, and therefore taking the output down on a tank that is connected to a gun that required a relatively high input pressure really wouldn't matter that much until you got to the point where the gun just wouldn't fire at all. I may be completely wrong about that, and at any rate, I have tried a fixed and preset tank, and there is a gauge installed in the gun, and the input pressure generally reads 700 - 800 psi.

ß?µ£ §mµ®ƒ
09-26-2003, 09:15 PM
how low do you have to get your velocity? 250 for indoor?

InexactMelissa
09-26-2003, 09:33 PM
yep - below 250.

ß?µ£ §mµ®ƒ
09-26-2003, 09:37 PM
ouch hmm , you could try an expansion chamber, that lowers the input pressure like 100-200 psi depends on size and what not, longer ss hose, are you sure your chronoing the RT correctly? shoot first then hold the trigger down then go to the cronograph and shoot one shot. After that try adjusting your velocity, Rt has different chronoing methods because of how the nitro recharges the valve

InexactMelissa
09-26-2003, 10:11 PM
Well, as I mentioned earlier, I don't see how lowering the input pressure is gonna help too much, but maybe a different method of chroning as you suggested.... how much of a difference do you think it will make 'cause I wasn't even getting close. It was like 280 fps and nothing lower.

LaW
09-26-2003, 10:32 PM
wow i can run below 250 no problem with my lvl10 setup... had it running in the 230's at one point consistantly :) dont know what to tell ya...

afrankart
09-26-2003, 10:37 PM
If you feel like tinkering, you could take your longest bolt spring (since you can't use it anyways) and cut it down so that it is shorter than the shortest spring. You have to make sure that when you put it on the bolt, the cut side is towards the valve. Also make sure that the uncompressed spring sticks out past the tip of the bolt. That and some velocity adjustments should get you shooting @ a lower velocity.

ß?µ£ §mµ®ƒ
09-26-2003, 10:56 PM
well less pressure means less .... velocity maximum sorta

afrankart
09-26-2003, 11:04 PM
well less pressure means less .... velocity maximum sorta

:confused:

InexactMelissa
09-27-2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by afrankart
If you feel like tinkering, you could take your longest bolt spring (since you can't use it anyways) and cut it down so that it is shorter than the shortest spring. You have to make sure that when you put it on the bolt, the cut side is towards the valve. Also make sure that the uncompressed spring sticks out past the tip of the bolt. That and some velocity adjustments should get you shooting @ a lower velocity.

That sounds like a reasonable idea. I'll probably give it a try. :)

afrankart
09-27-2003, 08:39 AM
I actually have 5 bolt springs or so. I have one that is shorter than the stock shortest spring, the short one, one that is between the short and medium, the medium, and the long. I usually only use the short one, but lately I have been using the short/med one I cut. I have used the shortest one, without problem, and it seems to work just fine. I have never tested how low the velocity will go, but with my stock short spring I can get down to about 260ish. The cut spring should be able to take it even lower. One thing, if and when you change to a shorted spring, your velocity will be higher than the longer spring before it, but it should be able to be adjusted down more. My medium spring makes my valve not work below 285, so that is why I have the custom lengths. By switching from the medium to the medium/short, I am able to get my belocity just below 275 without loosing as much of the LVX's softness compared to the short spring.

ß?µ£ §mµ®ƒ
09-27-2003, 09:06 AM
what i ment afrankart was , if you had less pressure in the gun, your gun's velocity can go lower which also brings down how high the velocity can go

afrankart
09-27-2003, 09:11 AM
The pressure in the gun will remain the same regardless fo the spring size. The spring size dictates how much force is pushing the bolt against the back of the power tube, and less amount of force it exerts, the higher the velocity will be @ the same settings with a lower spring. But, it will enable you to also shoot a lower fps. That might have been what you were trying to say, but we worded it differently.

ß?µ£ §mµ®ƒ
09-27-2003, 05:59 PM
ya thanks afrankart :D confusing stuff is fun! or she could just run her tank with only 2-300 psi only good for 5 shots at like 100 fps lol

InexactMelissa
09-27-2003, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by ß?µ£ §mµ®ƒ
ya thanks afrankart :D confusing stuff is fun! or she could just run her tank with only 2-300 psi only good for 5 shots at like 100 fps lol

Ya know, if it were possible, I would do it.