PDA

View Full Version : Can you say PUMPS SUCK

Neo-Gp
09-28-2003, 11:37 AM
Castlequest XVI

Unofficial time ALL 6 -Objectives in 45 minutes
Official time 59.5 minutes

SLOW/UGLY - PUMPS

HAHAHAHAHAHA...You guys got run over like a runaway freight train...Next time we won't let the refs decide.

For anyone that doesn't know. The attackers this weekend took the castle at EMR paintball in 59.5 minutes. The record is 58 minutes. Unofficially the game was over 45 because we had all 6 objectives but our general wanted to hold the castle for 4 hours until all the defenders surrendered. The refs didn't allow that and called the game.

Good game to all. See ya in the spring -Castlequest XVII

z-zero
09-29-2003, 09:20 AM
How well would you do on a 5 to 1? Not to mention the ROF.

z-zero

Strider
09-29-2003, 10:35 AM
Pumps S...u...

Nope, can't they're too much fun! :D

Shame they didnt' get all the defenders to show. Especially since there was a waiting list. I bet it was fun all the same though!

Jeffy-CanCon
09-29-2003, 11:25 AM
I can't say it either. I was on the inside, and I saw a lot of good players (and cool guns) in there. I shot more people than shot me, and I think that's pretty good when you are outnumbered and outgunned.

I'll admit the game didn't last as long as I expected (90min), and I have to give kudo's to Colin and Pub Crawling for their leadership. They had a good plan, and motivated their players well. Funny, though, when I spoke to him later that night, he didn't say anything about 45 minutes, or trying to force a surrender...

I was very glad the rain held off.

Meph
09-29-2003, 12:33 PM
True, I would've loved us to have been at full-strength defending that Castle. Or even at least 3/4 strength. But oh well, a grand ol' game none the less.

The people I felt sorry for really were the attackers who were on the waiting list. I mean, we didn't even have 100 defenders with however many (I lost count) pump attackers who wanted to defend. Yet they couldn't let them join in with us due to the massive no-show? That sucked.

Pub Crawlers, Joint Fury, and all the attacking teams and players did one hell of a job motivating their side and executing their plan. Well done, congratulations and kudos.

Indeed. Can't wait for the next sequel. CCXVII. The Search for More Money!

Neo-Gp
09-29-2003, 01:51 PM
I must say its was quite a fast defeat. I was there in may and that totally blew. I was quite surprised at the accuracy of the defenders. One of you shot me in the back of the head thru the wall 4 door from the backwall.

AND - NO RAIN -

Being this only my second Castle I have become addicted to the castle. Cant wait for CCXVII

z-zero
09-29-2003, 02:11 PM
I was'nt even there but your title "Can you say PUMPS SUCK" Just did'nt sit well. Its like saying Electros suck, or semi's suck, oe open-bolt blowbacks suck. Very open and blanket statement. Appears anything else I would say has already been said. Don't buy the lie that being a good player requires a high rate of fire, its really just the opposite, no matter what type of gun you shoot.

z-zero

Neo-Gp
09-29-2003, 04:20 PM
There were more than a few pump defenders filling their heads and ego with threats of how they were going to make us semi-players look like chumps. My statement was to clarify that the exact opposite was done.

I am not bashing the pump players. If it wasn't for them we wouldn't have had the game that we did to begin with. They had the courage to try something different.

Supposedly they were hoping for the biggest pump gathering since the 80's. I dont know if that happend. But I did see some really cool equipment that I will probably never see again.

If you dont like the title. Dont read it.

Meph
09-29-2003, 04:41 PM
Don't worry Z. It's all in good ribbing. Can be taken the wrong way, quite easily, poor choice of title phrase/words. But considering that I was there and one of the Marshals leading the defense. If I'm not taking offense to that, really nobody should!

Then again I'm very thick skinned and laid back.

z-zero
09-29-2003, 08:56 PM
Yea I guess your right Meph, I just remember a long time ago when AO was different....

Your statement "PUMPS SUCK" just bleeds the question, have you ever even played with one?

As far as the pump ego, yes of course it exists. Just like any other player in this highly competitive sport. And most ego's revolve around ones equipment. I'm sure your proud to own your mag and you should be, its a nice setup.

I'm not looking for a fight it just seems that your title mis-represents how you really felt about the game. Reading through your above posts shows you respect everything paintball. So why leash your venom on me? You got yourself all worked up and then tell me if I don't like it then don't read it? Really thats just silly.

z-zero

Neo-Gp
09-30-2003, 08:48 AM
You are correct. I have never played with a pump. I have no desire to play with a pump. I am happy using my mag and I dont plan on changing that.

Not everyone in this world is going to agree with what someone says or even like what someone says but thats life. Obviously thats the case here. So you go enjoy your play and opinions and I will go enjoy mine.

Keep Em Splatt'N

-Tom-

Big'n slo
09-30-2003, 09:26 AM
Bah....

Where are the pictures??? :confused:

z-zero
09-30-2003, 09:27 AM
I think we agree on more then you realize. Not your choosen title for this thread of course, but you have already explained that there is no basis for it and never will be. Your not going to stop playing with your mag, thats completely fine. I've played pump/semi/electro, tourney, scenario, speedball, woods. I have'nt played x-ball yet that seems interesting to me. So our opinions are probally not entirely that different, so just admit it was a poor title and lets move on. Our preference in equipment is'nt all that different either we are here at AO after all.

Keep-rippin....

z-zero

Jeffy-CanCon
09-30-2003, 04:19 PM
The pre-game smack-talk from the pumps was part ego, and part challenge. I read a couple of pump and pump-related forums in adition to this one, and the smacktalk & boasting that preceded the castle game was due to the low initial registration for the attackers. 200+ people pre-registered for the defense, and many were on a waiting list as there were not enough attackers to make up the desired 4-to-1 odds.

People started posting smack on the boards (including this one) in an effort to get semi-players angry, and to sign up. They mainly just wanted to give their own friends a chance to get off the waiting list and into the defense, I think. I made a couple of posts with that in mind. I usually play rec with a pump, use a semi for big games, and I've played tourneys with both. I actually respect both styles.

In the end, the smack-talk worked, and maybe backfired. I understand Colin read some of the posts to get the attackers fired up (maybe even mine, from what I hear). And the ratio of attackers to defenders ended up being somewhat in excess of 4-to-1, as many registered defenders never showed up.

In any case, I had fun, and so did my friends. We don't think we played badly, even if the time doesn't reflect that. Most of them would be willing to give it another try, even.

Neo-Gp
09-30-2003, 06:46 PM
Hmm...What about a pump attacking force !!!!!????
I understand there was a shortage of defenders at the castle.
I wonder if it would be possible to get enough pump players together to get a decent attack force 200-300 players against 100ish semi defenders.

Obviously with such small numbers something like first come first serve basis or invite only. I wonder if Blue is listening??

That'd be one hell of a game. Not sure if it'd be that fair.

Pyrate Jim
09-30-2003, 07:15 PM
The speak now is wanting 300-400 pumps to join the attack force next Fall, and another pump defence in 2005.

I had a great weekend, met a lot of folk from the boards, and got lotsa pics. Waiting on developing.

Neo-Gp
10-01-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Pyrate Jim
The speak now is wanting 300-400 pumps to join the attack force next Fall, and another pump defence in 2005.

That'd be SOoOoOoo KEWL...

rathbaster
10-01-2003, 09:45 PM
Hehe, I'm ready for the next time with my pneumatic assist sniper2. It'll be up and running within a week. I have two years to figure out an auto trigger. Pump defense in Fall 2005!

I had a great time, my first trip to EMR and met a lot of cool people and saw a lot of cool guns. Hehe, the advantage to running with the people I do is that you get to see all the cool guns, just not in one place.

My compliments to Colin and Pub Crawling for a succesful attack.

But I never would have surrendered as an individual.

goat
10-02-2003, 10:58 PM
I have to revert to the chant that started as a result of Jims talk with the defenders after the game, At one point he stated "we held them for quite a while and I think we showed them ....we dont suck"...the defenders quickly took that statement and began chanting it "WE DONT SUCK,WE DONT SUCK...."
Jim thanks for having the vision to put it together and I cant wait till next time.
(by the way guys, lighten up on the thread starter,its just smack)
goat

trxtr
10-10-2003, 02:52 AM
it's a bummer i couldn't go.
it's a bummer about all the no shows.
it's a bummer the pumps got rocked.
it's a bummer Damages' bus died on the way to EMR.
it'd have been a real bummer if i showed, got stuck attacking because of the no shows (would have felt like a traitor) , then have to find a 8 hr ride home (i would have been on the bus).

Hopefully next years is better.

and to add fuel to the flame..the only reason the attackers won was due to all the no-shows, not the superior playability of the spay&prayers. i revert to "pump day" last year at CPX for evidence of this. the semi's were consistently trounced ALL day despite having the numbers in their favor.

Weltman
10-10-2003, 10:47 AM
Let's see if this picture posts.

Weltman
10-10-2003, 10:54 AM
Let's see if this picture posts.

Sir_Brass
10-10-2003, 04:36 PM
still, pumps holding out the castle for an hour against semi's is a pretty good fight.

I was chatting up Big Matt of Madcustoms last night on AIM and he was telling me about the game. Sounds like pumps held their own pretty well.

Neo-Gp
10-11-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by trxtr

and to add fuel to the flame..the only reason the attackers won was due to all the no-shows, not the superior playability of the spay&prayers. i revert to "pump day" last year at CPX for evidence of this. the semi's were consistently trounced ALL day despite having the numbers in their favor. [/B]

I was dissappointed in the number of players that were there. Maybe there were conflicts with other games that weekend..I dunno. I was there in may in the rain and that felt like alot more players than this past fall castle..
Hopefully spring will be better..

Meph
10-11-2003, 10:39 AM
I remember that picture Weltman.

I was over still trying to get chronographed with only 2 minutes to game time while that was taken. I figured being allowed to play and not get band-punched was more important than trying to get into a picture.

Glad they turned out well for you. Were you able to take any during the game, or did you (as well as I) have to skip picture taking and just play?

Jeffy-CanCon
10-16-2003, 10:05 AM
Wrong picture, Meph. That's the post-game shot. Notice the Pub-Crawling guys on the right hand side, and all the fresh blue paint on the walls.

We should have some picture up ion our club website, soon. I'll post a link.

Meph
10-17-2003, 02:09 PM
Ha. Oddly enough, I'm still in the same area either one! Only for that picture I'm on the wall 1 catwalk up top instead of in the courtyard! Either way I'm not there I know that.

But yeah, now I see the PC guys.

Jeffy-CanCon
10-20-2003, 01:47 PM
Here is a link to some CC16 pics on the CanCon website.

Mostly social & non-game pics rather than playing shots, but we were all pretty busy in the castle, eh?

http://www.canadiancontingent.com/calendars/events/photos/cc03/cc03.html

Mike Smith
10-22-2003, 06:27 AM
Way Kool.....There are pictures of my Element in amoungst the Canadian pictures.......:D

goat
10-28-2003, 08:51 PM
found myself and BigMatt in the big group photo and ironically I am standing just to the left of the referee and BigMatt is just to my left (my left) in one of the CANCON photo's,
Thanks for sharing those.