PDA

View Full Version : Car stero and cell phones

AcemanPB
09-28-2003, 04:14 PM
Well I know several of you AOer's know their stuff when it comes to car stero (Miscue...). My car's stero is great, almost too good. I miss alot of calls on my cell phone because I usually have my speakers turned up. I'm almost positive I'm not the only one who has this problem so I was wondering if there is a clean and easy way to somehow hook my cellphone up to my car's stero or something. Maybe so where my speakers would mute themselves when I have a call or something to that nature. I've looked on the net and haven't really found anything.

-Jôker-
09-28-2003, 04:16 PM
im_bettin_thats_near_impossible_but_i_have_that_sa me_prob

bornl33t
09-28-2003, 04:35 PM
as far as I know there isn't anything that mutes the stereo until you pick up. However there are components that will let you hear the ring through the car stereo. might be expensive considering the return. My advice is to just listen to your music at a reasonable volume. That was you are saving money on parts for the cell phone/stereo, and a doctors bill once you get to be 40 :D

fire1811
09-28-2003, 04:43 PM
get a vibrating cell phone and put it between your legs :D

Mango
09-28-2003, 05:14 PM
There is such a feature, it's called Telephone Mute and many headunits have this feature. There is a wired pin on the back of the unit that uses this feature. Many Sony, JVC and Pioneer. The best is Pioneer, which requiers you to have a pioneer headunit and a special accessory that will mute the radio when an incoming phone call is detected.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pe/product/detail/0,,2076_4107_35441,00.html

It is a signal strength meter that listens to a certain "band" of radio frequencies. When it detects a strong enough signal in close proximity to the sensor, it mutes the radio. I will have you know, I had a few customers go absolutly insane with this thing, as it would detect things and mute the radio at random.

:) hope this helps.

SlipknotX556
09-28-2003, 05:15 PM
BMW's have that ability, you plug your phone in somewhere, if your playing music, when your phone rings, the music stops and the ring tone on your phone plays in the speakers. I dont know if other cars can support it, but anything is possible.

PyRo
09-28-2003, 07:42 PM
I think I would get scared and hit a tree when I heard the music shut off then a wiered ring comming that loud through a system :)

WicKeD_WaYz
09-29-2003, 12:16 AM
your not aloud to talk on your cell while driving anyway

or is that only in my state?

pookachu32
09-29-2003, 03:39 AM
Think it might be only in LA... Well it's still allowed here in Hawaii

fire1811
09-29-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by WicKeD_WaYz
your not aloud to talk on your cell while driving anyway

or is that only in my state?

New York cannot talk on it either unless you have and ear piece i believe

IL can though :D

SlipknotX556
09-29-2003, 04:36 PM
FL can talk while driving. But if you ever visit down here, I suggest staying off I-95, thats how most of the accidents down here happen and people are talking on their phone while going 95 MPH, then they crash. Use the turnpike, it dosent allow trucks :)

einhander619
09-29-2003, 05:54 PM
One quick thing to note about that cellular mute feature on head units, it only works with phones that run on a GSM network. While most phones use this method, there are some that use another technology called CDMA. Verizon is the big one that uses CDMA, and I believe Alltell uses it as well.