PDA

View Full Version : BMW or Mercedes?

Furby
09-28-2003, 07:57 PM
I got a feeling this'll prompt a 'mag vs. 'cocker style debate, but it's worth asking...

My wife has informed me that we'll be trading my van in early next year to get her something like a Ranger to drive. I got no problem with this, and while the Megavan is wonderful for hauling lots of paintball players and their gear, it's getting long in the tooth. The downside to this is that I'll be driving my wife's '94 Geo Metro. She understands that I despise this car, and she has it in her head that it'll last less than three months with me driving it.

So, the question is, what do I get to replace it? BMW's and MB's are REAL cheap down here used, and I wouldn't mind having one or the other to have around for what little driving I do during the course of my normal day, and to tinker around with. 3 and 5 Series BMW's can be had in reasonable condition for $2000 or so, and the same with 190E's and 280's. So, which is easier and cheaper (relative term, I know) to work on and live with on a day to day basis? I'm no mechanic, but I'm fairly handy with cars.

Kevmaster
09-28-2003, 08:26 PM
I've seen benzes go and go and go

I'd take the benz

afrankart
09-28-2003, 08:40 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
same with bimmers. That would be my personal choice. Plus, most perform (slightly) better.

RenagadeOfFunk
09-28-2003, 08:41 PM
im smart... i choose both...

Python14
09-28-2003, 08:42 PM
Bimmer

afrankart
09-28-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by RenagadeOfFunkRTPcf

Smart? Questionable...

Old enough to drive? Most certainly not.

FalconGuy016
09-28-2003, 08:50 PM
I would choose BMW any day over mercedes.

Do understand that any part will cost $600 now though :)

Gitaroo Man
09-28-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by RenagadeOfFunkRTPcf

smart? he is asking an opinion and has a budget.....i agree with afrankart...

yeah i would chose bmw just cause my dad owns one and i own a 13 year old one and i absolutely LOVE both...they run great and look great.

SlipknotX556
09-28-2003, 09:06 PM
Mercedes are having lots of problems now, ever since they started to be made in the USA. Get a BMW.

PyRo
09-28-2003, 09:16 PM
Well for 2k he isn't getting a very recent mercedes. Choosing between the two I think I like BMW's better, even though I dislike both of them.

Kevmaster
09-28-2003, 09:46 PM
yeh, im guessing late 80s-early 90s benz or beemer....not like a 2k is gunna go for 2k...hehe...i made a joke

Greg98
09-28-2003, 09:47 PM
Get the beamer, plain and simple. Between the lower end models and years, beamers are so much nicer in all aspects, and the benz's look like old men's cars in those years. The E36 can be bought at a great price, and have very few things to look out for. They are also gorgeous, ride well, the inline 6's perform beautifully, and the gearbox is smooth and precise. If you'd like my impressions on the E36 (3 series made from 92-99) drop me an email, and I can tell you what to watch for when buying one, and common repairs necessary. good luck in the car hunt!

xmetal2001
09-28-2003, 10:48 PM
I dont know about the older stuff but a very generalized rule of thumb is Go for Mercedes if you are looking for luxury and BMW if performance.

Obviously that really only works with comparably models. From what i've seen i tend to agree with the rule also.

My opinion: BMW.

giblit
09-29-2003, 12:01 AM
i have a 88 bmw and what ive noticed with other 88 bmws is they get REALLY loud after a while, mine has like a puking exhaust sound that is really annoying and its the engine that is making the sound and they say they cant fix it. so watch out for early bmws.

MarkM
09-29-2003, 05:09 AM
Buy the BMW unless you can get a diesel Mercedes, I know you guys tend not to go around curves :D but the BMW will go where you point it and Mercedes float around corners like a boat in a storm unless you have paid loads of money to lower it and uprate the suspension and as soon as you start swapping rims and suspension parts then you get other handling problems unless you swap out everything. In a like for like comparrision then the BMW wins everytime.

Furby
09-29-2003, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by giblit
i have a 88 bmw and what ive noticed with other 88 bmws is they get REALLY loud after a while, mine has like a puking exhaust sound that is really annoying and its the engine that is making the sound and they say they cant fix it. so watch out for early bmws.

How many miles and what model is your beemer?

Albinonewt
09-29-2003, 07:54 AM
Buy an X-5!!!

I prefer BMW's to Mercedes. Everyone that I know that has a Mercedes has problems with it, but my BMW friends are all very happy with their purchase.

SIGSays
09-29-2003, 05:52 PM
just make sure you change the tranny fluid everyonce in a while. ;) mines died cuz i never did.. lol

Furby
09-29-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by SIGSays
just make sure you change the tranny fluid everyonce in a while. ;) mines died cuz i never did.. lol

Noted, sir.

giblit
09-29-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Furby

How many miles and what model is your beemer?

its a 88 325i convertible, with about 107,000 i dont know exact, but weve had to replace so much stuff on it, transmission, fuel pump, altonator, lights, rear end. a lot of this stuff was because my sister wrecked it twice but still.

Kai
09-29-2003, 07:05 PM
http://usa.bmwfilms.com/clap.asp?template=index&country=usa&film=

'Nuff said.

MarkM
09-29-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by SIGSays

Furby it might well be good advice...but from a former BMW driver?

http://www.automags.org/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=961073 I know you guys get Drivers Ed at school but to own a BMW at this tender age? Unless of course the fountain of youth is in Mechanicsburg ;)