PDA

View Full Version : What barrel is this?

Jeffy-CanCon
10-01-2003, 03:38 PM
I picked up a barrel for my Mag second-hand a few years back. I don't know who made it, and exactly one person has gone so far as to make a guess for me. He thinks it might be a BOA product because of where I picked it up (LI).

It seems to be chrome-plated. About 9" long, with what firearms people call a "crown point". The barrel OD is constant, and unported, but the ID widens near the muzzle from about .68 to .80 or so. It is quite accurate, even though the chrome finish is peeling in the breech, and it is super loud.

I've got a couple of pics, and I will add a link later tonight.

Automaggin2
10-01-2003, 03:43 PM
you said its a crown point? I dont remember ever seeing a crown point BOA, but I could be wrong

TheDuelist
10-01-2003, 04:25 PM
From my understanding BOA never made a chrome barrel. They used nickel or brass. I pretty familiar with their products but without a pic its hard to say.

Jeffy-CanCon
10-01-2003, 11:27 PM
I won't swear that the barrel is chrome, but it is something silvery plated over aluminium.

What my firearms-expert friend calls a crown point bears no resemblance to what AGD calls a crown-point. There is no porting on the barrel, just a sudden widening of the ID.

Hopefully, these links will work:

http://www.cyberus.ca/~jperrau/barrel-1.jpg
- in the first pic you can see the finish, and the aluminium underneath.

http://www.cyberus.ca/~jperrau/barrel-2.jpg
- a close-up shot of the muzzle.

edweird
10-02-2003, 04:02 AM
This barrel reminds me of the first generation stock automag barrels from back in the day. But, however, I dont remember the ID on the muzzle changing like that.

bornl33t
10-02-2003, 04:54 AM
it might actually be a boa... one of their first ones. Cause I am very fond of boa's and I know most of their product line they're had through the years. But every now and then a new one shows up that's either been altered by someone or that I just didn't know existed. But I've never seen an aluminum boa before. they've all been SS, brass or nickled brass.

The minimag used to and still do come with a 8" aluminum barrel. it's unported and has not been coated with anything. It also doesn't have a step in the muzzle. But it's the closest match to that one in the picture...

Jeffy-CanCon
10-02-2003, 07:13 AM
I have the three stock minimag & Automag barrels. The OD on this one matches the stock Automag barrel.

I have another barrel from the same source that I beleive is an early BOA. I'll get a pic and post it.

TheDuelist
10-02-2003, 04:13 PM
Another hard part in identifying it as a BOA is the "custom" aspect of their barrels.

Muzikman
10-02-2003, 04:24 PM
I have never seen an aluminum BOA, yet alone one like that. So I vote for no to BOA. I also vote no to J&J. The ID on that thing must be tiny.

Paintchucker
10-02-2003, 04:56 PM
I would not swear to it, but to me it looks like an old SP All American Barrel with the tip cut off of it. I have some 10+ year old F2 Illustrator AA Barrels, and the shiney coating on the aluminum base is cracking off exactly the same way. If it was an AA with the tip missing, that would explain that very odd looking front end...

Jeffy-CanCon
10-03-2003, 12:05 PM
The AA theory sounds good, It doesn't look to have been cut off. It was manufactured that way. I don't have a way to measure the ID, but it has handled any paint I've put through it, from smallish Draxxus to larger Zap.

Muzikman
10-03-2003, 12:43 PM
PC might be on to something there. I have never seen one pulled apart, but that very well could be the back half of a SP AA barrel. Since these were two piece barrels (where the pieces should not come apart), there would be a lip like that. And yes, the finish on these barrels always came off, but I never knew they had a chromed finish for them.

BTW, it doesn't looked "Cut off", but pulled apart. I have both a 16" and 14" SP AA barrel I will have to meassure the backs and see how long they are.

Jeffy-CanCon
10-03-2003, 10:24 PM
Thanks. It has always been one of my favourite barrels. I usd it all the time until I got my Freak this summer. I love the loud booming noise it makes. :D

Mikie_sholtz
10-12-2003, 08:01 PM
Well its not a BOA the only reason I know is that I was with the company the last 7 years and we have never made anything other than brass barrels they were either plated in an idustrial hard chrome or nickle plated, some were coated in an tuxcedo black wrinkle powder coating or just powder coated But ALL barrels were made of brass!

Jeffy-CanCon
10-12-2003, 09:14 PM
Thanks. I think the "back-half of an AA" theory sounds best so far.

poolshark5226
10-12-2003, 09:22 PM
The 9" part makes me doubt it's an AA back. However, SP's now discontinued Big Daddy barrel looked just like the old AA, but with a bigger back part. That'd be my guess.