PDA

View Full Version : The Kid just got accepted to The Citadel...

cphilip
10-01-2003, 05:23 PM
Yea. We got the BIG envelope in the mail today. He is accepted. And we still waiting to hear on the ROTC scholarship at Clemson. And also he tells me he had an offer to interview for an ROTC scholarship down at the Citadel we now need to make an appointment to do that and see what happens on that one. But he is in at the Citadel.

Steelrat
10-01-2003, 05:24 PM
Wow, thats quite an achievement.

InexactMelissa
10-01-2003, 05:26 PM
Congratulations!

Python14
10-01-2003, 05:27 PM
Holy Guacamole!

That is awsome. Tell him Congratulations for me. I bet you are super proud.

cphilip
10-01-2003, 05:28 PM
Oh well don't congradulate me... That place is not cheap! :(

We need that dam scholarship if we can get it.

Automaggin2
10-01-2003, 05:45 PM
Tell him to go to Clemson!

Mango
10-01-2003, 05:50 PM
WOOHOO CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! :D :D :p

cphilip
10-01-2003, 05:52 PM
You might be interested in this little fact Mango...

If he ends up going there he is wanting to study Criminal Justice. They supposedly have one of the top ones in the country there under their Poly Sci Dept. He is an Explorer now as a matter of fact.

RobAGD
10-01-2003, 06:12 PM
Phil,

Tell your boy good going !

I hope it goes well with the ROTC interviews.

-RObert

cphilip
10-01-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by RobAGD
Phil,

Tell your boy good going !

I hope it goes well with the ROTC interviews.

-RObert

Will do Rob. And hell yea them scholarships WE NEED EM!!!

Total cost for four years at the Citadel is 52 THOUSAND dollars. I got 20 grand of that covered but thats it... the rest we gotta find. But...well if its what he wants to do then we do it.

1stdeadeye
10-01-2003, 06:21 PM
Congrats!!!

Good school even if it isn't in the ACC!;)

Best of luck!

As for the $, make sure he applies for grants too!!!

cphilip
10-01-2003, 06:23 PM
Grants, loans, scholarships...sell his body on the street...whatever we gotta do.

pbguy888
10-01-2003, 08:02 PM
Wow that is awsome! I was there for a week this summer SC AFJROTC Leadership School(infact Im wearing the shirt right now) Make sure he is awair of how the life is thier. Lol I dont know about the rest of the doorms , but the one we where in had NO AC at all.

Army
10-01-2003, 08:19 PM
CALEB! You have reached the pinnacle of Southern military pride, you have some HUGE footprints to fill! OUTSTANDING! I couldn't be happier for you:)

GO DAWGS!

Doobie
10-01-2003, 08:30 PM
Tell him I said great job! Now good luck with the scholarships!
I have worked with some of their Cadets and worked for some of the officers they have produced. Very impressive. He has even more hard work in front of him now!
Good Luck!:)

vf-xx
10-01-2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by cphilip Grants, loans, scholarships...sell his body on the street...whatever we gotta do.

I've found that one to be the most effective.

Jobs, loans, scholarships, and grants are the way to go.

Heh, if you're throwing 20k his way for school that's really nice. I haven't gotten much $$$ support from my family. It just isn't practical. Besides there is something about earning your way through college that adds just a bit more to the experience IMO.

/whispers: Now what's the Citadel? Sounds like some militant cult type place thingy.

Army
10-01-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by vf-xx
/whispers: Now what's the Citadel? Sounds like some militant cult type place thingy.

The Citadel is one of two PREMIER military colleges in the USA, West Point being the other. The Citadel has a rich and proud alumni history of Famous Generals and US Presidents.

To be a "Ring-Knocker" is a valued commodity in the military.

vf-xx
10-01-2003, 08:56 PM
That's about what I figured.

1stdeadeye
10-01-2003, 09:00 PM

It was a premier male only military school until that fat cow Shannon What-ever-her-name was sued to enter. She then promptly dropped out one week in! It was national news a few years ago.

Tradition sacrificed to PC. Jeez, the women were admited due to federal funds going to the school. Maybe a few men ought to look at some women only colleges and sue to get in!:mad:

But I digress.:(

Congrats again to CCaleb!!!!!

cphilip
10-01-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by pbguy888
Wow that is awsome! I was there for a week this summer SC AFJROTC Leadership School(infact Im wearing the shirt right now) Make sure he is awair of how the life is thier. Lol I dont know about the rest of the doorms , but the one we where in had NO AC at all.

LOL yea they have leadership school there don't they. Oh we been there many times. He knows its stark and bleek. And a real challenge.

No there are no AC dorms at all. All four Quads are the same. Including the new one they building now. And all Cadets rooms are almost exactly the same. Upper and lower classmen. It would not be my choice. But he knows exactly what its like and still its his top choice of where he wants to go.

cphilip
10-01-2003, 09:40 PM

I've found that one to be the most effective.

Jobs, loans, scholarships, and grants are the way to go.

Heh, if you're throwing 20k his way for school that's really nice. I haven't gotten much $$$ support from my family. It just isn't practical. Besides there is something about earning your way through college that adds just a bit more to the experience IMO.

Oh he will have to work. I been putting money into a prepaid tuition program for him the last four years. So I have the tuition covered. Which is 5K a year. However because they have to stay there and they have to have a lot of uniforms thats where the costs are I did not have or have covered. Its 11K more the first year and 7K more each year there after. 4K difference that first year is upfront uniforms for the full four years. You drop out...you lose. So thats the other 32K we gotta fincance and save and all. So grants and scholarships will ease that if we can get em. I can maybe come up with 4K or 5K a year of that on my own without them. Maybe. So we see. But I should think he will have to work summers and all for spending money.

The incident with female admittance was due to the fact they are a State Supported School. But that is a close dipiction otherwise of how it happened.

From what I know it is one of two Non "direct" Military Academies (although run by Military people) that still gives direct Commissions just like the Academies do. It and VMI. It is a tradition laden place and Graduates network and it leads to more things. For instance, he was at a talk given by Senator Gresham Barrett Monday night. And after that Caleb was able to speak with the Senator. When the Senator found out he was planning on going to the Citadel (we did not know at the time he was Accepted) the Senator introduced him to his Aid and instructed the Aid to take his name, phone and address and then asked Caleb if he wanted to be a Legislative Aid for him in the Summers. It seems the Senator is a Citadel Grad. ;) So he is now in with that job for the Summers. If he goes to the Citadel that is.

Oh I almost fogot. The Senator also told him he was going to submit a letter of recomendation to West Point for him. Now everyone knows a letter from a Senator is one of the things you HAVE to have to get into West Point.

Steelrat
10-01-2003, 09:45 PM
What does your son want to do with his Criminal Justice degree? Is he interested in local law enforcement, Federal law enforcement, or pursuing a legal degree? If its Federal, PM me, I can give some advice if you like.

cphilip
10-01-2003, 09:54 PM
That I have no idea. I just know he is into Explorers right now and I think eventualy he was thinking Law School maybe.

Sometimes he lies to me. So I suggested Politics but however he is not that good of a liar.... :D

Oh I been meaning to ask you thing Steerat, do you want me to change your user name to Steelrat like you ment to or are you comfortable with the name now?

Steelrat
10-01-2003, 10:02 PM
Changing it to Steelrat would be like mana from heaven. Oh please please please change it :D The name screwup was a good schtick for a while, but its a little old now...

cphilip
10-01-2003, 10:06 PM
Mana is served

Refresh.

Koosh
10-02-2003, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by 1stdeadeye

It was a premier male only military school until that fat cow Shannon What-ever-her-name was sued to enter. She then promptly dropped out one week in! It was national news a few years ago.

Tradition sacrificed to PC. Jeez, the women were admited due to federal funds going to the school. Maybe a few men ought to look at some women only colleges and sue to get in!:mad:

But I digress.:(

Congrats again to CCaleb!!!!!

I don't see the big deal... if Women can hack it, there should be no reason why they can't get in... obviously Shannon whateverhernameis couldn't, but should that set the standard for ALL women? Not allowing women into a military school simply because of gender is a throwback from 100 years ago. Who says that only men can be great generals and leaders?

But on topic, Congrats! Hope everything goes well, and maybe 30 years from now when we hear of General Ccaleb conquering Canadialand, we'll know where it started ;)

breg
10-02-2003, 02:37 AM
Phil, that's awsome! I know he will do well.

Albinonewt
10-02-2003, 07:55 AM
Good for him.

Games Workshop is cool!

(anyone that gets the reference is as nerd as me)

graycie
10-02-2003, 08:09 AM
Phil,

you can sell you hair!:cool: as for the paying of the education, have you considered home equity loan or a 2nd or 3rd mortgage? if caleb has good grades (which i'm sure he has, to have been accepted) there are scholarships/grants, but you have to do alot of research to find them all. work study doesn't really pay all that much but, its still something right?

speaking of the shannon whatshername, just my opinion she was a fat out of shape cow. she just couldn't handle the physical part of it, and from my point of view sued for the principle of it rather than the education. on the other hand, i've heard that the women that have been accepted after her were so so but recieved alot of verbal/mental abuse from the male students and dropped out after that. as for the all women colleges, i think most of them do accept male students and some actually have a few enrolled but its not as big a public debate.

cphilip
10-02-2003, 08:48 AM
Graycie, I have indeed thought of that. I have my home almost paid for. Only a first mortgage. I think I only owe about 10K on it. And I have about 7 acres of land here. So I have a lot of equity to use if I need too. Almost 130K worth of equity as a matter of fact. I am going to try and do it without involving that but it is an ace in the hole if I needed too.

Oh she deserved the right to go no doubt about it. She then had to make the same standards though and could not physicaly. At least not by the time she was finaly entered. Had she been entered right away she would possibly have made it. Heck many men do not make it. She was not overwieght when she first applied. And since it was a state supported school she had every right to insist on being admitted. They fought it for a while because of the tradition of it being all male. But eventualy they realised they would lose that case unless they turned private. And they did not feel that they had enough funds to do so and forgo the 30% or so of thier budget that the state provided. So by the time she was admitted she had gained weight. But I think more than that was the feeling of isolation she recieved. As the only female she had to be seperated. And so she could not be just one of the Cadets. Several women have since Successfully completed the four years. But still because there are so few that want to go they are somewhat isolated. But in the end I think it will be a good thing for the school to have a woman corp.

If you will recall VMI was also going through the same thing at the time. And eventualy a woman Corp was started there.

1stdeadeye
10-02-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by TheFlamingKoosh

I don't see the big deal... if Women can hack it, there should be no reason why they can't get in... obviously Shannon whateverhernameis couldn't, but should that set the standard for ALL women? Not allowing women into a military school simply because of gender is a throwback from 100 years ago. Who says that only men can be great generals and leaders?

If women can meet the same standards fine, but don't you dare lower them so that women can achieve them. As soon as you lower them, you ruin them.

Name a great female general please?:rolleyes:

The military is not a place for social expiraments. It is life and death. Women are not allowed in combat now, nor should they be allowed.

My two cents.

Again Good luck Lt. Col. Ccaleb!;)

cphilip
10-02-2003, 10:06 AM
Actualy he is a full Colonel in his AFJROTC unit right now. The highest rank he can achieve in that program. He is the Corp Commander of his schools unit. He finished that stint last week and now is the "Old grey beard" Colonel of his unit for the remainder of the School year. There will only be two of that rank in any given year. He is the first one.

Well the standards may be the same but certain traditions cannot ever be equal to what they are or were in the Male Corp of Cadets. There has to be a certain limit on hazings and seperation of living quarters that take away some of the tradition that existed. It cannot be the same exactly. But you can strive to make it as close as you can is all you can do.

graycie
10-02-2003, 10:07 AM
alot of it is dependent on who the woman is, take for instance female fire fighters. if they can really do the job, (i mean the real job not just sitting at the desk taking the calls) let them do it. women go to the fire fighter training and alot of them can't physically hack it because of their stature/size, but then there are the women that are built larger then some of the men that really can haul all that equipment and rescue people.

in the military there are more issues at hand, because you don't know how women will be treated if heaven forbid they are taken as a prisoner of war. and then there is the factor of if all the women go to war and are killed who will have the babies to continue the population, etc. and with being in the military service there is the chance for some kind of sexual violence to occur, but women take that risk everyday sometimes not even before they leave their home. that issue i think is more on the part of the sexual deviances of the male officers. as for the female general remark, men can easily rise in rank from being in combat, but since women at the moment cannot serve in combat situations they are hindered from that advancement.

my main point is if women can meet the same standards as the men, i see no reason why they shouldn't be allowed the same opportunities.

1stdeadeye
10-02-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by graycie
my main point is if women can meet the same standards as the men, i see no reason why they shouldn't be allowed the same opportunities.

I have no issues with that. Just don't lower the standards to artificially make them qualified. You are playing with peoples lives. There is no room there for PC.

shartley
10-02-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by graycie
alot of it is dependent on who the woman is, take for instance female fire fighters. if they can really do the job, (i mean the real job not just sitting at the desk taking the calls) let them do it. women go to the fire fighter training and alot of them can't physically hack it because of their stature/size, but then there are the women that are built larger then some of the men that really can haul all that equipment and rescue people.

in the military there are more issues at hand, because you don't know how women will be treated if heaven forbid they are taken as a prisoner of war. and then there is the factor of if all the women go to war and are killed who will have the babies to continue the population, etc. as for the female general remark, men can easily rise in rank from being in combat, but since women at the moment cannot serve in combat situations they are hindered from that advancement.

my main point is if women canmeet the same standards as the men, i see no reason why they shouldn't be allowed the same opportunities.
And I agree… but the last time I knew, Woman and Men in the US Military are NOT required to pass the same tests with the same standards given the same job and the same age….

When I was in the service I was in an MOS that did not allow women, and I never had to pick up the slack because a soldier could not handle the stresses or weights of the activities involved (aside from when they were injured). I was also in an MOS that DID allow women, and can tell you that picking up the slack was not only a common thing, but almost expected.

The problem is, that woman and men are NOT expected to be measured and tested by the same standards. And if someone brings that up, they are labeled as “sexist”. They are also faced with the arguments about “physiology” and how men and women are physically different and thus testing should reflect that.

My argument is simple…. If a woman is only expected to do a certain number of push-ups, sit-ups, and run 2 miles in a certain amount of time, and that is what the Military deems adequate to perform in the Military… than why on earth do Men have to score so much higher? Does the jobs or activities suddenly change due to what sex is doing it? Does the weight of an M-60 become lighter when a woman is assigned to carry it? Oh, I forgot, I don’t know of any women in MY units that HAD to carry the M-60. And the examples could be listed for quite a while.

My comments are not sexist, but realist. I have no problem with women doing anything they want to do, and even doing any job a man does…. But I do have a problem with selective “equality”…. And that is what happens. This is also not saying I think woman CAN’T do every job a man can do. Clearly there are some who can, and by the same standards…. But I have to be honest, those are the exceptions, not the rule.

I also agree with 1stde… the military is not a place for social experiments. And neither is any other job where people’s lives are on the line. The standards should be the same, no matter what sex the participant is.

1stdeadeye
10-02-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by shartley

The standards should be the same, no matter what sex the participant is.

Amen to that!

Tunaman
10-02-2003, 03:30 PM
Thats just fantastic! Best of luck to him. You should feel like a proud father. Great job Caleb!:D

cphilip
10-02-2003, 09:35 PM
Thanks Tuna. I will pass that along to him. But you can give him a hard time in November when you see him again

Sam, You are correct that there is a different set of physical criteria I am told at the Citadel now for women and men. And hazing is restricted and limited more for the women as well. Partly to prevent sexual discrimination charges but still it ends up being not the same experience as it was for the male Cadets. So it is still not PC to say this but Women and Men are NOT equal there. No matter how we want to think it they may never be. I think even women would rather compete head to head and win or lose than have that slight difference always held up to them as them not measuring up to the same standard. If I was a woman I would be offended to have a set of lower criteria to meet and not be able to say I compete head to head an still achieved. Sure maybe very few of them would be successfull but the few that did would be truely deserving. But in spite of our intent that still is the way it is. Unequal by design. And not rightly so. But its not their fault that is is that way all together. They are a victim of their own devices there. And so right or wrong they still are not equal. As dangerous as it is to say they do not even get the chance to try and be most times. And I think they should indeed be subjected to the same thing in order to claim the same achievement. And I think THEY would rather have it that way too!

robertjuric
10-05-2003, 11:41 PM
Im going to try to get into West Point. Full ride + a salary, cant beat that.

Backup Plan A: ROTC Scholarship to any school I can get into
Backup Plan B: Enlist(last ditch attempt)

Just got to get my ACT up and Im set. Kind of worried about West Point though, I dont have many extracuriccular activities. Ive got a job, our HS doesnt have JROTC, but this March when I turn 17 Im joining the reserves, and I play football. Doesnt leave much time for anything else but all I can do is apply.

Finally got the right set of mind. I talked to my dad right before he left to get deployed to Qatar. He told me to make them tell me no, apply for everything. Really good pep talk.

cphilip
10-06-2003, 10:34 AM
Yea extracuriculars are important. Get as many as you can. Football is good. And soon as season is over you can think about doing some other things. Do you have school clubs or even do you play and instrument in band? Also contact your local Police department and see about Explorers Program. Those all count when your making your resume. Take all College prep classes and even some AP courses in things your strong in.

beam
10-06-2003, 11:17 AM
Men can't have babies....so why can't the women just let us shoot all the guns?!?!?!?!!?!

j/k :D

Tell Caleb congrats!

FutureMagOwner
10-06-2003, 12:17 PM
a friend of mine also got accepted to the citadel hes a senior this year so he will be going next year with your son as well i assume?

anyway congrats did you buy him candy? :D