PDA

View Full Version : Paintball players with paintball jerseys look like an ad with legs.

Athius
10-03-2003, 01:20 AM
I dunno about u guys but i think paintball players with paintball jerseys look like an ad with legs. Cuz' come on mainly all paintball jerseys says in very big bold letters the name of the company in every part of the jersey that is why i dont like them. I know some of them are not like that but most of them are.

Can someone tell me why the hell they do this to the jerseys? why dont they do like nike and other sport equipment companies that it only shows the logo very small but visible and not BIG BOLD LETTERS in every corner of the jersey?

Ov3rmind
10-03-2003, 01:23 AM
I don't see a problem with it. Look at all the other extreme sports with jerseys that promote their sponsors, it makes perfect sense.

Army
10-03-2003, 02:17 AM
Those big sponsors logo's are seen up close on TV, they don't NEED to have large logo's showing (not to mention the "Todays game is sponsored by Nike, for all your running needs, get Nike").

Paintball players must be seen at 25-50 yards away, so they have BIG logo's that can be seen far away.

Albinonewt
10-03-2003, 07:36 AM
What kind of Jersey's would you like JT to sell?

Ones that say "Visit Historic Delware"?

bryceeden
10-03-2003, 07:40 AM
Man, you would hate my team's custom jerseys.

lopxtc
10-03-2003, 08:35 AM
Hell Im tempted to but on "This Space For Rent" logos on our jerseys :) ... anything to attract the sponsors ...

High price points for places that get hit less :)

Aaron

Strider
10-03-2003, 09:05 AM
Yeh, know what your saying about the Jerseys these days. I hate anything with huge advertising on it.

Of course it makes sense for those who *are* sponsored. Thats what attracted me to the Animal line. Their advertising is small. I just wish they'd bring back their lightning line. :(

WEre going with custom jersies for our team. That way we can advertise those who did actually sponsor us... :rolleyes:

-=Squid=-
10-03-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Albinonewt
What kind of Jersey's would you like JT to sell?

Ones that say "Visit Historic Delware"? Its threads like this that annoy me so much I dont even know what to say, so I will just give a big ole, "I concur" to your reply. Thanks albino.

edweird
10-03-2003, 09:57 AM
well its one reason I play in my automags.org jersey... Its not an overt company add... but more of heralding that im part of this community we have here.

Although I do agree... JT, DYE and the like really accentuate the advertizment quality of their gear

SlartyBartFast
10-03-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by -=Squid=-
Its threads like this that annoy me so much I dont even know what to say, so I will just give a big ole, "I concur" to your reply. Thanks albino.

You sure annoy easy.:p

Personally, I think anyone that pays big money for ANY type of clothing that advertises some logo has a big hole in their head as well as their pockets.

Now, if they're going to GIVE me jersey covered in advertising I might consider wearing it. If they'll pay me to advertise for them by wearing their jersey, I'd wear it without question.

rich4man
10-03-2003, 10:40 AM
If you are getting sponsered by a company then it does make sense to wear their logo all over your jersey kind of like race car drivers. What kills me is people who aren't sponsered that go out and spend their own money for theses logo jerseys. This is just me but I won't buy an expensive shirt just to play paintball in and give that company free advertising at the same time.

Crighton
10-03-2003, 11:08 AM
I have to agree. I hate jerseys with the huge company logos on them. Personally I'd rather see the space used for a better pattern or design vs the huge logo.

-=Squid=-
10-03-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by SlartyBartFast

You sure annoy easy.:p

Personally, I think anyone that pays big money for ANY type of clothing that advertises some logo has a big hole in their head as well as their pockets.

Now, if they're going to GIVE me jersey covered in advertising I might consider wearing it. If they'll pay me to advertise for them by wearing their jersey, I'd wear it without question. Yes, I get that a lot...however, we sport ALL dye, but its part of a sponsorship...

GoatBoy
10-03-2003, 12:57 PM
I'm guessing people wear these things because they:

1. Are paid to, or they were free or something, or

2. Just don't know any better.

You guys do make some funny points. I mean, if my internet connection had popup ads all over it, I'd expect my monthly fee to be subsidized.

Personally, I think the jerseys, amongst numerous other "sexy" and "pimp" fads pursued by pasty 12-year old computer nerd virgins, are simply gaudy. Trashy.

Long live splash anodizing!

-=Squid=-
10-03-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by GoatBoy

Personally, I think the jerseys, amongst numerous other "sexy" and "pimp" fads pursued by pasty 12-year old computer nerd virgins, are simply gaudy. Trashy.

Long live splash anodizing! :rolleyes: Can tell somebody only plays rec...

SlartyBartFast
10-03-2003, 01:10 PM
:rolleyes: Can tell somebody only plays rec...

And what is THAT supposed to mean?

If you're a tournament player and you wear the logos of companies that in no way support your team, you're just plain stupid.

In rec or tourny pimp, flash, or gaudy are all fashion statements and nothing more. You want to spend 100$ more for your clothes with logos and hundreds more on flash that does nothing to help your game, that's your choice. Many would rather spend the money on quality functional clothing and gear, and paint to hone their skill.

tony3
10-03-2003, 01:13 PM
Yeah, look at his sig, "accuracy by aiming", yeah he only plays rec

AlabamaMan
10-03-2003, 01:13 PM
Well there is a reason you wear paintball pants too. Then you can be all ad.

I can see another squid flame fest coming on.

-=Squid=-
10-03-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by AlabamaMan
Well there is a reason you wear paintball pants too. Then you can be all ad.

I can see another squid flame fest coming on. Good lord! I would kill to not be the starter of another "flame fest," but jeez, this thread is ghey. NOTHING is wrong with rec, so dont take that the wrong way...just reread that one fools post. Although all of our uniform is free, its looks...you buy a nice looking jersey, and all dye jerseys for that matter, your team looks good. Sigh...Playing pants are a completely different matter however...

tony3
10-03-2003, 01:17 PM
I wear my redz pants, because they were realitivly cheap(40 bucks), and they are super durable. They are also extremely comfortable. And why can't I spend 100+ bucks on my gear? If I can, why not?

Crighton
10-03-2003, 01:25 PM
:rolleyes: Can tell somebody only plays rec...

And whats the percentage of the entire PB population that only plays rec? Oh thats right we are the majority.

Ov3rmind
10-03-2003, 01:39 PM
Since when did wearing a jersey from a company you're not sponsored by become "stupid"? Maybe you like the way it looks, maybe you'd like your team to have matching jerseys, maybe you like the company, or maybe you find that jersey comfortable to play in. Just MAYBE it doesn't bother people that logos are all over it (it doesn't bother me).

Army said it best, companies want to advertise. What else do you want them to put on THEIR jerseys besides their logos? If you don't like jerseys, then don't wear them (and stop getting so anal about them). If you do like them (or are sponsored by a company that makes them), go ahead and wear them.

Torbo
10-03-2003, 01:42 PM
see, the biggest thing that youre all missing is that: It doesnt matter, and no one should care anyway. Whoopdie do, you dont like jerseys. Good for you. so wear a tee shirt and be happy. When you get asked why youre wearing a T shirt then tell people why. Otherwise, just leave it alone. I will continue to wear my dye pants and JT jersey regardless of your opinon. Why? Because i like the way they look and feel, and because i can.

Meph
10-03-2003, 01:49 PM
Then pay 65 bucks to get a Custom Sports Gear jersey with ANYTHING YOU WANT on it. You design it, they make it!

Otherwise if you don't like promoting a company that's sponsoring you..... be my guest.

SlartyBartFast
10-03-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Torbo
see, the biggest thing that youre all missing is that: It doesnt matter, and no one should care anyway. Whoopdie do, you dont like jerseys. Good for you. so wear a tee shirt and be happy. When you get asked why youre wearing a T shirt then tell people why. Otherwise, just leave it alone. I will continue to wear my dye pants and JT jersey regardless of your opinon. Why? Because i like the way they look and feel, and because i can.

Sounds good to me. No one suggested you stop wearing them if YOU like them. No one suggested that sponsored teams not show off their sponsors.

Squid seems to take it a little more personally though.:D

If you like consumerism and giving corporations free advertising, that's your right. It's also other people's right to think its "ghey".:p

Albinonewt
10-03-2003, 02:00 PM
Personally, I think the jerseys, amongst numerous other "sexy" and "pimp" fads pursued by pasty 12-year old computer nerd virgins, are simply gaudy.

And what's wrong with a 12 year old being a virgin?

tony3
10-03-2003, 02:05 PM
haha, just thought about that:p

LeatherPants
10-03-2003, 02:18 PM
Guess you don't wear tennis or jogging shoes. I mean there's just a big NIKE swoosh or Adidas tri stripe on them. Wow yea I hate how people buy shoes with logos on them.

Hell if I made my own gear you bet there'd be a big logo to let people know that some kid is wearing my brand stuff.

Fred
10-03-2003, 02:36 PM
Uh oh, I guess I should throw out all my jersies since I only play recball now... I've got two from CSG a few others floating around.

Get off the recball bashing bandwagon already, its a dead horse that's been splattered around so much you can't tell that it was a horse.

Oh, and yes, I do subscribe to Accuracy by Aim... its a much cheaper way to play, and its oh so fun to take out the "ABV" players on the speedball fields that way... :D

---Fred

Strider
10-03-2003, 02:51 PM
I think this thread has seriously sidesteped into "everyone is offended and angry" territory.

SlartyBartFast
10-03-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by LeatherPants
Guess you don't wear tennis or jogging shoes. I mean there's just a big NIKE swoosh or Adidas tri stripe on them. Wow yea I hate how people buy shoes with logos on them.

Hell if I made my own gear you bet there'd be a big logo to let people know that some kid is wearing my brand stuff.

That's right. I don't wear ADDIDAS or NIKE brand shoes. Exactly for the reason that you pay twice (three times) the price of equivalent product without the logo and advertising budget.

I do however pay a premium to wear doc martin shoes. But there's no big honking logo and the cost is because of the quality. One pair of $200 shoes can last me three or four years with good care before the soles wear too thin.

You can get good pants and jersies for paintball and even a good team look without being a billboard.

GoatBoy
10-03-2003, 03:18 PM

And what's wrong with a 12 year old being a virgin?

Nothing wrong with a 12-year old being a virgin.

There is, however, something patently wrong about a 12-year old virgin going around saying this and that is "sexy". *Newsflash* Paintball guns are not sexy. It's simply a statement as to what is considered ... cool in paintball, and who we're taking these cues from. And I find this is directly applicable to... jerseys.

Squid: I don't think matching clown jerseys make teams look good. I think it makes them look like clowns. All you guys need now are some jingly bells on those socks you wear on your heads.

All I can say is... "Clown shoes."

The rec-ball thing doesn't faze me at all. This forum, being one of the better paintball forums, has enough followers who know better. I see there have already been some responses from this sector. Yep, you pegged me alright, I play rec-ball. Every weekend.

Trina
10-03-2003, 03:18 PM
I had a response, but the more I read...this thread doesn't deserve a response...:rolleyes:

Albinonewt
10-03-2003, 03:27 PM
Nothing wrong with a 12-year old being a virgin.

There is, however, something patently wrong about a 12-year old virgin going around saying this and that is "sexy". *Newsflash* Paintball guns are not sexy

Actually, accoring the below definition they can be:

sex·y ( P ) Pronunciation Key (sks)
adj. sex·i·er, sex·i·est
Arousing or tending to arouse sexual desire or interest.
Slang. Highly appealing or interesting; attractive: “The recruiting brochures are getting sexier” (Jack R. Wentworth).

-=Squid=-
10-03-2003, 04:24 PM
Goatboy...your an idiot. I have NOTHING against rec ball, so EVERYBODY DONT THINK I DO! I even enjoy the occassional rec ball myself...yup..CLOWNS. Guaruntee my team of clowns would kick your *** in rec ball too :rolleyes: Thanks for pointing out that I and nearly every tourney baller looks like clowns, especially considering our jerseys are grey and black, as are our pants and masks. :rolleyes:

rich4man
10-03-2003, 04:28 PM
I disagree matching jerseys look like clowns. I think they look more like pajamas. :D

Creative Mayhem
10-03-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by edweird
well its one reason I play in my automags.org jersey... Its not an overt company add... but more of heralding that im part of this community we have here.

I agree. Although I have bought 2 JT jersies in the past. Our team needed jersies for Skyball 2001 at last minute, so we opted to by JT's and had our names put on them. I also have another JT I bought, but c'mon.. it was on sale cheap, and it was purple:D I have wised up shall we say, I will only wear a jersy with a company I am either sponsored by or completely support.

I actually think we are in the same situation with pants as we were with jersies a few years ago, when there wasn't anybody making custom jersies. Here's a question for the masses then, What's your take on pants?

CM

Albinonewt
10-03-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Creative Mayhem
What's your take on pants?
CM

You should wear them

At all times

Creative Mayhem
10-03-2003, 05:22 PM

You should wear them

At all times

Dammit.. there goes my plan for Texball :D

SyntaxError
10-03-2003, 07:07 PM

If you're a tournament player and you wear the logos of companies that in no way support your team, you're just plain stupid.

In rec or tourny pimp, flash, or gaudy are all fashion statements and nothing more. You want to spend 100$ more for your clothes with logos and hundreds more on flash that does nothing to help your game, that's your choice. Many would rather spend the money on quality functional clothing and gear, and paint to hone their skill.

I agree.

All the REALLY good players I know can barely afford to play without sponsorship. Myself included, I can't afford tournament or practice costs without sponsors, they help a great deal, so I'll support them, but I won't buy jerseys just for the hell of it.

I barely even spend on gear, if I had to pay full price on anything in PB I'd be soooo broke. But that's why sponsors help, and *edit*

Albinonewt
10-03-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by SyntaxError
and in turn the more affluent people who end up buying their way in ultimately suck.

I take no small amount of offense at that comment. I own a lot of stuff that I bought myself no sponsors needed. I haven't invested the time into a acquiring a sponsorship on an individual or a team level. But that hardly means that I can't bring it on the field.

The fact that I occasionally nap on the field might be a mark against me though :)

-=Squid=-
10-03-2003, 07:19 PM
I dont have a job, and can afford ALL of my gear, and its good stuff mind you, and still practice every weekend, and afford other things. Because somebody has extra money to spend on things other than practice doesnt mean they suck...

Digits
10-03-2003, 08:11 PM
Syntax your overcocky man.. Theres a certain extent to how cocky you should be.

And this thread is stupid.. I can't afford a jersey but I really don't get why you guys are all pissy about this.. I think it makes a team look way more professional if there all wearing the same type of gear...

Konigballer
10-03-2003, 08:13 PM
this thread is interesting so I dont want to get to off topic.
Personally I just wear a pantera tshirt and some old BDUs when I play but thats just personal preference and because its hot as all hell in Georgia. Between heat stroke and fire ants, playing paintball down here can be very strenuous and I choose only to bring the bear essentials. However, its perfectly logical for tourny teams to wear jersies. Their getting paid to be walking advertisements for the companies that sponsor them, much like in NASCAR. Its just good buisness.

Heres were I get kinda off topic. In buisness I know "sex sells" but I've always thought it was funny how alot of advertising is so sexual today. The use of hot chicks to advetise products has allways caught my eye;), but I dont really see the point. Paintballs been such a relative "insiders sport" that I never make the logical connection between things like "paintball and hot chicks". It doesnt really make sense to me the way "cars and chicks" does. I never look at a new marker in a magazine and think to myself "man all the ladies are gonna' be beggin' to try out this sweet new Timmy( and maybe the owner:)". In reality, the only people I expect to want to shoot a nice new marker, or care that I have it, is the usual two stereotypical pb guys: the fat guy with the gotee, or the skinny 15 year old punk who thinkgs he knows everything. Not exactly the people you hoped you would attract like you would with a slick new porsche. I dont know, at least it gives me a laugh. What do you guys think?

SyntaxError
10-03-2003, 08:52 PM
I dont have a job, and can afford ALL of my gear, and its good stuff mind you, and still practice every weekend, and afford other things. Because somebody has extra money to spend on things other than practice doesnt mean they suck...

I'm not saying they have to suck, but I'm saying it means alot more in my book if you really earn what you use through play. Kudos to you if you're wealthy, alot of ballers are apparantly, and I'm not saying that you in particular suck, but look at kids like Dynasty, who have JT paying for their college tuitions let alone paying to play for themselves. They are good players who sack up and ball with what sponsors give them, and going back to the original arguement they should support their sponsors who make it all possible for them.

However, there is a huge difference between teams that pay their own way and teams who are being paid for. Most of the time the teams that have costs covered by sponsors DESERVE those costs because they're killers, or they were formerly killers earlier in their careers:p These guys, more often than not, can barely make ends meet in their everyday lives, yet can chew you up and spit you out on the field, a la PBmegastore.com, Evil Factory, even the LA Ironmen to name a few.

I apologize if you think I sound cocky, I'm really not, but I think that money is better spent on improving your play rather than posing as a factory team by buying the latest from JT or DYE. I also know that my sponsors do alot for me, and I would gladly wear their logos as big as they want me to, considering its a miniscule price to pay for all they do to help me play.

Athius
10-04-2003, 12:42 AM
damn i was just givin my opinion but what the hell.:rolleyes:

i think PB companies must stop puting their big logos on their jerseys cuz well maybe a team would like to put their team logo on the front. But with a big logo saying for example "32 DEEGREES PAINTBALL" u cant do that but if u are a pro and sponsored i understand that but a normal player non sponsored doesnt make sense.

LeatherPants
10-04-2003, 02:00 AM
Now yea I admit that I have all the "cool" stuff. Anything new well hey I'll buy it. I change guns alot. I change gear as fast as it comes out.....I'll admit it hey so what.

Now am I a good player? Who knows. I compete. I do well. I have fun.

Do I want to be a pro? No. I have a career and I make good money doing it.

Paintball to me is a hobby. And I like hobbies. But I go all out on my hobbies. No matter what it is I'll get the best and I'm good at all my hobbies.

Now do I wear all DYE stuff to look pro? no. I honestly find it comfortable. I stared off in BDUs and found them to be too hot. My first jersey was a System X one that I got for $10 and you know what, I found them real comfortable. Since then yea I buy alot of jersys. I play mostly speedball now and I like the way the fit and the way they breathe. I also wear alot of UNDERARMOUR clothing when I play because I find that comfortable too. I don't wear JT, PJ or Raven cuz hey I don't like the way they look.

Now lots of teams are sponsored but many of they had to pay their own way before a sponsor even looked at them. Naughty Dogs and Bushwhackers barely started picking up sponsors till they started doing really well this season. Hey they paid for all their own gear in the begining so does that mean they sucked?

Also some of the players who are good. Were they always that good or the fact sponsor help allows them to play and afford 2-3 day of paintball a week. Like any sport some players are just good and some learn in practice.

All of you would agree that if you could afford both time and money to play 3 times a week you'd be a pretty good player.

Syntax- You said that some teams can barely make it in everyday lives but can chew you up on the field...well that is their choice. Practice makes perfect and practice takes time and time is money. Most 9-5 career jobs don't allow the time to practice paintball. And most jobs that are not 9-5 usually don't pay too well.

Most of the guys who are "Pro" made the choice to rely on sponsors for income. Most of them don't have great jobs since most jobs are not to happy with you taking sick days to go practice paintball.

I don't think I'll ever get sponsored and nor do I want to. I've been that route with another hobby and you know what it took some of the fun out of it. Right now I get to wear what I want, shoot what I want and compete when I want. I think that is what most players are happy with.

Wow I don't think any of that made sence or tied in well but oh well it's late.

GoatBoy
10-06-2003, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by Trina
I had a response, but the more I read...this thread doesn't deserve a response...:rolleyes:

So by posting a response in a thread that doesn't deserve a response, did you actually reverse your stance and decide it did deserve a response?

Albinonewt: OK, while I disagree with the... "spirit" of the usage of the word, I'll concede the technical point on that one.

As you can tell, some people go to great lengths to try to look cool to other people. Which is fine, I can understand that. Unfortunately, they take it so far as to take great offense if anyone disagrees with their dubious fashion sense. They take it so far as to attempt to link someone's sense of style with someone's ability to play paintball. And of course the whole rec/tournament argument ALWAYS ensues any discussion of skill. Actually it accompanies ANY discusssion about nearly any subjective topic in paintball. I mean, we're talking about JERSEYS and the tournament snobbery comes out.

In fact, I believe Squid went even further than that, calling me an idiot. So obviously if I think jerseys look goofy, then I'm an idiot. And I think Squid thinks we're all idiots if he thinks he can back out of a statement like, ":rolleyes: Can tell somebody only plays rec..." You think the rest of the guys in here failed reading comprehension? We know exactly what you meant.

So do tournaments require jerseys nowadays? If not, then I'm pretty sure I didn't call everyone who plays tournaments a clown. I also happen to see a lot of jerseys being worn when I play recball. I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean. Then again, I think I saw a lot of "tournament" players this weekend playing in just plain white t-shirts. Then there was this one guy who was wearing a JT jersey and camo shorts, and said that he was a scenario team player. Plus I have been known to play airball with the "tournament players." I just see it all as recball. I guess I have to pay some sort of entry fee to get any sort of recognition in the eyes of the other jobless ballers, regardless of my actual playing skills.

Squid, again, your revised argument doesn't faze me, because you don't know me from Jack. Trying to draw a correlation between my playing skills and my opinions on jerseys is about as accurate, as, say, me trying to draw a correlation between your lack of ability to present a coherent argument (or anything more insightful than ""OMG YOU RECBALLAR!!!!11" or "U R AN IDIOT MY TEAM WILL TEAR U UP!!!") and your paintball skills.

In tagging along with the other comments, I guess I'll say that I'm gainfully employed. I pay my own way in paintball, and I don't have to answer to anyone. If someone hands me an ugly jersey to wear, I have the option of handing it back to them with a large brown skid mark on it. Bringing things back on topic, as you can see, most of the guys here who are trying to make a point about the jerseys are self-sponsored players. Meaning they pay for their stuff. Meaning a lot of them are looking at these jerseys and saying, "You want me to pay how much for what?!" They might buy them because they are comfy (and/or on the cheap), but I'm betting they aren't buying them for the flashy logos.

In conclusion, most paintball jerseys are tacky and ugly. Now it is my intention to sit down and play video games for several hours.

Trina
10-06-2003, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Konigballer
I never look at a new marker in a magazine and think to myself "man all the ladies are gonna' be beggin' to try out this sweet new Timmy( and maybe the owner:)". In reality, the only people I expect to want to shoot a nice new marker, or care that I have it, is the usual two stereotypical pb guys: the fat guy with the gotee, or the skinny 15 year old punk who thinkgs he knows everything. Not exactly the people you hoped you would attract like you would with a slick new porsche. I dont know, at least it gives me a laugh. What do you guys think?

BTW, yes Goatboy...I finally thought I'd respond to this thread :D especially after reading the comments above... :D

The advertising is not designed to sell you a gun...it's main goal is to catch your eyes--and it works, so companies use it. Although...I do LOVE a sexy marker...If I see an XMag with a cool fade pattern I drool...now IF I was single and playing paintball (more girls ARE getting into the sport) I'd be all over that guy asking questions about his "marker"--it would make for a great conversation. ;)

And about the jersey thing...I like my lavender paintball junkie jersey cuz for one thing it is cool and also it took me forever to find a feminine jersey. I also like having my name on it so that people know how to call me instead of "hey you". I should be able to spend my own money that I work hard for on whatever the heck I want without having someone talk about it. It has nothing to do with skill level or anything else for that matter. I like cool paintball clothes...quite frankly I was in the Army for five years and camo isn't quite my color anyway... :D

Python14
10-06-2003, 05:35 PM
What if I like the way I look in red dye clothes? It brings attention to myself, which is why I've been asked by several times by local teams to play for them. I like to look good and paintball is one of the few things that I can do it in. So let me spend my money, without telling me reasons I look like a clown, because frankly, my friends and girlfriend don't think I look like a clown.

DyNasTy
10-06-2003, 07:52 PM
You want a short and simple reason why people spend thier money on these jerseys...

INTIMIDATION or Just because they wanna look like the big boys they see in the magazine.

I mean common face it, who here doesnt buy the nicest gear to look good for spectators or doesnt try to find matching equipment to look good on the field. Its just common ssense. No one would wear some camo to a speedball tourny cause it would look dumb. And plus the team ur playing would treat u how you look. Dress professional and u earn some respect is what it boils down 2. Dress like a newb get treated like a newb.

Grasshopper
10-06-2003, 08:10 PM
I wear my jersey because it's comfy, and I don't care if it's plastered with "ads", I like the way it looks. No, I'm not trying to be cool by wearing it, I just like the way it looks and feels.

GoatBoy
10-07-2003, 12:59 AM
Trina and Grasshopper present perfectly valid arguments. If that's what you like, then that's your right. I'm clearly not stopping anyone from buying/wearing them. But I reserve the right to think jerseys look bad just as these tournament hypocrites have the right to think camo would look "dumb" in their precious tournament scene.

Python14: If you're looking to bring attention to yourself, you might want to consider the possibility that it's not always going to be the kind of attention you wanted.

DyNasTy: Call me old-fashioned, but any respect you get from what you wear is hardly what I consider "earned". And what exactly do you mean by "get treated like a newb"? Do professionals (or professional wannabe's) get %15 off field fee and paint or something? If a player disrespects me, what difference does that make on the playing field in a properly reffed game? If he underestimates me and thinks I'm a newb, how does that affect the outcome of a game? Are you sure you're using common sense on this one? Think carefully, because there are threads on this forum if I recall correctly that directly deal with these questions.

breg
10-07-2003, 04:54 AM
Ok,
I didn't read the whole thread, so don't jump all over me with the proverbal "Why didn't you read the whole thread," comments.

First off, how many pieces of clothing do you own? Look closely, most of the have the logo somewhere on them. Even our underwear have the logos on them. Even a pair of Levi's Jeans have the little red tad and the embrodering on the back pockets.

Second off, yes, the clothing is designed to show off the logo. I think that doing so shows faith in the product. And, aside from magazines, that is the only other viable form of advertising the the manufacturers have. I believe that some one had mentioned before.

Thridly, look at autoracing. How many logos do you see on the racecars? More than two? Sponsors want everybody to know what gear their favorite team is using.

There's more, but I am really tired....

Trina
10-07-2003, 07:10 AM
Is there any reason for name calling? :rolleyes: Anytime someone is presenting an opinion, there's always going to be someone else that doesn't like it. But let's try to be civil here. :D We all share one thing in common-- paintball. I think that's the coolest, and that's why we're here. No reason to bash any type of play or player. :D

Albinonewt
10-07-2003, 07:42 AM
Frankly, I prefer Jersey's to camo in tournaments and in the woods because I want to be easier to spot. If I'm hard to see that means I need to go find my opponents to shoot them. If I'm easy to see they'll come to me, and so much the better. It's for that same reason I prefer loud guns to quiet guns.

Also, I have no problem walking around with a companies Logo on my chest, so long as it's a company I like. I like nearly everything I've purchased from JT and Empire, so I have no problem walking around with their logo on me. That lets other people, especially newbs, know who I think you should buy your gear from. It's for that reason that I won't wear a Smart Parts or (in most cases) Dye Jersey to the field.

-=Squid=-
10-07-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Trina
Is there any reason for name calling? :rolleyes: Anytime someone is presenting an opinion, there's always going to be someone else that doesn't like it. But let's try to be civil here. :D We all share one thing in common-- paintball. I think that's the coolest, and that's why we're here. No reason to bash any type of play or player. :D There is always room for name calling, especially when somebody is being an idiot. No, im not talking about you, im on your side ;)

SlartyBartFast
10-07-2003, 10:38 AM
There is always room for name calling, especially when somebody is being an idiot. No, im not talking about you, im on your side ;)

It's really bizzare that you're talking about yourself. Not sure I'd want you to be on my side.:rolleyes:

In a matter of personal opinion, what right do you have to call anyone an idiot?:mad:

deathstalker
10-07-2003, 10:46 AM
I wear earthy-colored JT jersies (black, olive, and rust) on the field because they are extremely comfortable, stand up to wear and tear, and still allow me to not draw too much attention. When I wear them off the field, I hope to get people asking about it. It's the same reason most of my t-shirts are paintball-related: I want people to ask me about them so I can talk to them about the game, dispel myths and misconceptions, and generate more interest.

I choose to advertise that I play paintball, not necessarily the company making the products I wear.

Originally posted by DyNasTy
I mean common face it, who here doesnt buy the nicest gear to look good for spectators or doesnt try to find matching equipment to look good on the field. Its just common ssense.
I suggest you take a Social Psychology class. One of the first things you will learn is that there is no such thing as common sense. People who think they have/use what is commonly referred to as 'common sense' usually base their thoughts and actions on assumptions, false logic, and misinformed/uninformed decisions.

SlartyBartFast
10-07-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by deathstalker
I choose to advertise that I play paintball, not necessarily the company making the products I wear.

Cool.

Now given a choice would you prefer a non-product/manufacturer specific jersey or one that clearly advertises a particular product or brand?

SlartyBartFast
10-07-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by breg
Even a pair of Levi's Jeans have the little red tad and the embrodering on the back pockets.

There's a difference between making the brand visible and showing it off. A little red tag is within the limits of reason IMO. Giant patches that cover an entire butt-cheek are another matter.

Now, if the jeans with the giant patch were as comforatble and durable as anyother brand AND cheaper, I'd buy and wear them.

Unfortunately, big brand badges are more often than not aimed at the (IMO) idiots who will pay much more for a product because it's cool and is branded a certain way.

shartley
10-07-2003, 11:56 AM

There's a difference between making the brand visible and showing it off. A little red tag is within the limits of reason IMO. Giant patches that cover an entire butt-cheek are another matter.

Now, if the jeans with the giant patch were as comforatble and durable as anyother brand AND cheaper, I'd buy and wear them.

Unfortunately, big brand badges are more often than not aimed at the (IMO) idiots who will pay much more for a product because it's cool and is branded a certain way.
Yeah… Like Old Navy, A&F, and countless other clothing lines that use their branding as a major part of their “design”. ;)

Personally I don’t mind big logos on Jerseys or other paintball clothing. I think that these companies should come out with more choices though, and offer designs with their branding less “in your face”. That way they would reach a wider range of people. I believe that would also increase their sales……. And isn’t that the goal? ;):D

Albinonewt
10-07-2003, 11:59 AM

I resent that.

My absolute favorite pullover fleece says Old Navy all over it (actually kind of annoys me too), but I defy anyone to show me a warmer more comfortable fleece for what I paid. Plus it fits well under my ref shirt.

SlartyBartFast
10-07-2003, 01:12 PM

I resent that.

My absolute favorite pullover fleece says Old Navy all over it (actually kind of annoys me too), but I defy anyone to show me a warmer more comfortable fleece for what I paid. Plus it fits well under my ref shirt.

But there is absolutely no reason to feel any resent. If you have been paying attention to the argument I was trying to make.:p

You have the best product available for the price you paid. But you yourself resent the advertising and therefor to a degree are in agreement with everyone who dislikes the 'walking billboard' look.

If the difference is between an 'old navy' t-shirt for $15 and $5 for the same without the logo, the non-logo version hopefully gets your vote.

Albinonewt
10-07-2003, 01:56 PM
If the difference is between an 'old navy' t-shirt for $15 and $5 for the same without the logo, the non-logo version hopefully gets your vote.

Which one is closest?

$10 isn't worth walking my fat arse all the way down to the other end of the mall :)

SlartyBartFast
10-07-2003, 02:19 PM

Which one is closest?

$10 isn't worth walking my fat arse all the way down to the other end of the mall :)

IMO, $10 worth of paint is worth the walk. :D

That and walking down the mall means I don't have to wear a t-shirt that will associate me with all the losers that walked all the way down the mall to buy Old-Navy. :D :cool:

I once had a similar argument with some-one who ridiculed me for shopping K-mart, Walmart, and discount stores for dress shirts. He on the other hand insisted on the quality of Ralph-Lauren and the like.

While I didn't change his thinking, I do know that the exact same sweat shop makes shirts for both discount stores and designer lables. The difference was something like 15 different operations, 10 of which were linked to monogramming the shirt and applying the label (notice I said different, not extra). The materials, machines, and workers were all identical. The only difference in my eyes was $60 for the label.

CodeMA
10-07-2003, 06:33 PM
The last guy got it right.....

Im surpised no one else did.....

YOU PAY FOR THAT LOGO....thats all there is too it....

It is the same with Harley Davidson(though I might add the quality of their products is higher then most of your other companys and such) YOU PAY FOR THE NAME....

Jearsys are throught to be cool.... oh look theres such and such playing for such and such...oh whats that hes sporting all the Dye apperal...HEY I can do that too....*goes out and buys the same things cuz well...I CAN...and it makes him look cool...Hes pro...I wannna look PRO....*

You pay to look cool....on so many levels...deal with it...slap some custom design over it, wear it, or dont.... I dont care...I really doubt anyone that posted does... all I know is I dont wanna hear your gripeing....

Sponcored players can do whatever with there jearsys its expected, Rec ballers can as well....and do.... it "makes them look cool" let them pay for their brand names....

however I do like My draxxus jearsy...its not all big and stuff really.... and is very comfy...

go buy a jearsy two sizes bigger then what you normaly wear in tshirts...three if they run small... and tell me you arnt a better player.... same with the pants.... YES its cheap....but your not gonna get as many busts on you...now are you...

Python14
10-07-2003, 06:57 PM
Code ma....your post....too hard to read.....it is....yes.

Seriously, it's hard to tell if you are having problems with sentence structure or are trying to prove some point by not using punctiation correctly.

None the less

I take that "aimed at the idiots..." as offensive to me because I paid for my stylish paintball appearel.

SlartyBartFast
10-08-2003, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Python14
I take that "aimed at the idiots..." as offensive to me because I paid for my stylish paintball appearel.

Once, again. If you go off and but Levis jeans because they're Levis and you love the logo. I do indeed think you're one of the fools that P.T. Barnum said were soon parted from their money.

If you buy them because they're comfortable, durable, well priced. You're being a good consumer.

Some name brand goods are good quality. Harley was brought up. Sure some of their biking goods are great. Others suck. And paying a fortune for a key chain, bandana, t-shirt just because you want to sport the logo, well, you've already read my opinion of that...:p

shartley
10-08-2003, 08:15 AM
I don’t consider someone who buys what they WANT, no matter WHY they want it, an idiot. If they can afford it, and it makes them happy, who cares? There is nothing idiotic about that at all. It is called personal choice.

Now on the other hand, if they can’t afford to eat, feed their families, pay their bills, etc. and go into debt or neglect the really important things in life to get these things… THAT is being an idiot. But that covers any item, not just clothing. And it also includes activities.

You want to know something funny? Just a couple years ago, even on THIS forum, you had to have a Jersey or you were not cool. The rec players and those who didn’t go out and buy the latest paintball fashion(s) were the ones looked down upon. It may not have been so openly stated, but it was there.

I would suggest that if folks have a problem with what others wear, instead of trying to label them or attempt to make them feel stupid, they look to why you have such a problem with it. Brand loyalty, and style, drives sales in almost every industry… whether the companies’ logos are a major part of the product or not.

For me, I don’t care what folks wear on the field…. as long as they get on the field and play. THAT is what it is about.. to ME.

Muzikman
10-08-2003, 10:58 AM
I see one problem with this argument. Old Navy has some of the best prices in clothing. So do I buy Old Navy because it says Old Navy? No, I shop there because they have the best quality clothing for the best price. Sure as hell beats buying clothes at WalMart;)

Albinonewt
10-08-2003, 11:21 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SlartyBartFast
Once, again. If you go off and but Levis jeans because they're Levis and you love the logo. I do indeed think you're one of the fools that P.T. Barnum said were soon parted from their money.

What, exactly, is wrong with buying products from a company that I like? So maybe the jeans I buy from Levis a are a little more expensive then the ones next to them, so what? It's called brand loyalty, and it makes life a lot easier when you can find a brand you like and stick with it. There are a lot of choices out there and sometimes the benfit you get from shopping around is outweighed by the time it takes. So yeah, I'd say brand loyalty can be a good thing. (Although, buying something because of the brand and then not liking it is kind of silly)

If you buy them because they're comfortable, durable, well priced. You're being a good consumer.

False. If you buy it at all, for any reason, you're being a good consumer. There are two kinds of consumers. Those that do consume (good) and those that don't (bad). Either you're a good consumer, or you are a non-consumer.

SlartyBartFast
10-08-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Muzikman
I see one problem with this argument. Old Navy has some of the best prices in clothing. So do I buy Old Navy because it says Old Navy? No, I shop there because they have the best quality clothing for the best price. Sure as hell beats buying clothes at WalMart;)

Is no one listening? :(

If you're buying for the price then I think that's fine.

Alright, change the store to BOCA (do you have those in the U.S.? Pathetic cotton t-shirts with the store name across the front.

Originally posted by Muzikman
If you buy it at all, for any reason, you're being a good consumer.

Picky aren't we.:rolleyes: Amazing how much spit people will waste on such trivial nonsence.:p

If you're going to be all capitalist/Adam Smith definition of consumer on me, replace good with intelligent.

Ov3rmind
10-08-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by shartley
I don’t consider someone who buys what they WANT, no matter WHY they want it, an idiot. If they can afford it, and it makes them happy, who cares? There is nothing idiotic about that at all. It is called personal choice.

Now on the other hand, if they can’t afford to eat, feed their families, pay their bills, etc. and go into debt or neglect the really important things in life to get these things… THAT is being an idiot. But that covers any item, not just clothing. And it also includes activities.

You want to know something funny? Just a couple years ago, even on THIS forum, you had to have a Jersey or you were not cool. The rec players and those who didn’t go out and buy the latest paintball fashion(s) were the ones looked down upon. It may not have been so openly stated, but it was there.

I would suggest that if folks have a problem with what others wear, instead of trying to label them or attempt to make them feel stupid, they look to why you have such a problem with it. Brand loyalty, and style, drives sales in almost every industry… whether the companies’ logos are a major part of the product or not.

For me, I don’t care what folks wear on the field…. as long as they get on the field and play. THAT is what it is about.. to ME.
I agree 150%.

Python14
10-08-2003, 05:23 PM
so let me get this straight, I'm an idiot if I buy clothes with logos because I like the look of the clothes. I'm an idiot if I buy clothes with logos because I want to emulate someone(imitation is the highest compliment). I'm an idiot if I buy clothes with logos because they are stylish...

So I guess I'm idiot by your standards....

Oh well, too bad I don't have any respect for your standards...else I'd be an idiot.