PDA

View Full Version : can I still goto college?

robertjuric
10-04-2003, 09:07 PM
Ok end of my sophmore year I really slacked of, only pulling out a D for the semester in 2 of my classes. But this is a new year, I dropped the bad habit, and I now have a 3.43gpa. My ACT score kinda sucked, I took it as a sophmore without taking geometry or chemistry, and only got a 19. But when I take it again in Dec. I should make a LOT better(I hope).

My main concern is that when applying for colleges are they going to look back at my sophmore year as means to not let me in? Im not worried about the rest of this year or next.

FalconGuy016
10-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Actually, colleges look well at improvement.

Albinonewt
10-04-2003, 09:48 PM
You're sophomore year should be pretty meaningless when you do your admissions. I wouldn't worry to much about do, just do well on your placement tests.

Restola
10-05-2003, 02:44 AM
Some schools will be out of your reach. Any state school will let you in.

Don't worry about it (unless you had your hopes set on Yale).

BobTheCow
10-05-2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Restola
Some schools will be out of your reach. Any state school will let you in.
*sigh* Not in Virginia...

tony3
10-05-2003, 09:34 AM
*sigh* not in illinois...

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
10-05-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by tony3
*sigh* not in illinois...

*sigh* its true but you are going to benet so shut up *sigh*

graycie
10-05-2003, 09:40 AM
your cummulative gpa, and class rank are important. some schools will out right say if your not in the top 10,20,30,etc % they won't even look at the rest of your application. extra curricular activities are good to have too, clubs, sports, volunteering supposedly this makes you look 'well rounded'. talk to your guidance counselor you may be surprised at the schools you have a really good chance of getting into, i know i was really shocked when he told me.

freshman and sophmore year i really slacked, so they put me into the lower level tracks of classes junior year. well after like the first couple weeks of classes all those teachers were wondering why i was there, but it was too late. so that year i managed to get really good grades and pull up my gpa. as per the placement tests; if i remember correctly california schools are primarily the ones that require the ACT, but if you do bad once you can all ways take it again.

SIGSays
10-05-2003, 10:52 AM
lol just don't be like me... 80% average fresh and soph

70% junior year

i have no clue what i am getting right now... lol

just join the marines.. after you come out.. they will pay for it.. then most state colleges will accept you cuz it's been so long since you went to school

Kevmaster
10-05-2003, 11:41 AM
yeh, you may not be a harvard man, but colleges will accept you and just because you dont go to harvard doesnt mean you wont be anything. plenty of well-to-do people went to state schools

pbguy888
10-05-2003, 12:04 PM
You just say that cause you go to Duke kev:p

Kevmaster
10-05-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by pbguy888
You just say that cause you go to Duke kev:p

and my vote is still out as to whether Im in over my head....people here are SMART....im NOT!

PaInTbAlLeR476
10-05-2003, 04:07 PM
I need to apply to college by november, i have less then a month to visit colleges and apply to them, i should have started ALOT earlier

robertjuric
10-05-2003, 06:00 PM
Wasn't planning on going to harverd or yale or anything like that. I just do NOT want to go to school in Alabama. Gives me the shudders to just think about it.

My college plan so far is to apply for an ROTC scholarship, every college that the ROTC scholarship supports, and cross my fingers. :rolleyes:

slateman
10-05-2003, 06:27 PM
Colleges usually look at your junior year the hardest. doing poorly (or not as well) might actually work in your favor. They'll see an improvement and think it was a mature decision on your part not to be a punk kid anymore.

But colleges can also be finicky.

Just buckle down (I sound like my father:rolleyes: ) and do your best

-Carnifex-
10-05-2003, 09:41 PM
Assuming you're not shooting for high end / Ivy League.

GT
10-05-2003, 10:41 PM
dont worry about it, hell blow off HS and head to your nearst community college. Knock out 30 undergrade hours and transfer. BTW it has been proven time and time again that the amount you spend on education is not indicitive of how much you make when you get out.

Your undergrad is a stepping stone and not the end all be all of success.

jb

Vendetta
10-06-2003, 04:36 PM
Community College worked for me. Automatic transfer to a state school. After that I got full ride plus a nice stipend for grad school. I finished college with a savings account, and no student loans;)

gam-e
10-06-2003, 06:18 PM
well i dont know about college that much, but i know that my state schools (texas) say that if you are in the top half of your class and either pull a 1300 on your SATs or a 30 on your ACT then you are automatically accepted.

hehehe i thought i was screwed when i slacked off the end of my freshman year and all that, but turns out im home free!

Dion

i also got screwed for bringing a knife to school, but that was during baseball practice when i had a broken ankle, and was cleaning out my fingernails. craphats still tried to expell me, but apparently it gets taken off my record.