PDA

View Full Version : Tom, is this a NO-NO?

luke
10-07-2003, 12:04 AM
I believe, I've followed the guidelines you set for RogueFactor to mill rails without voiding warranties , but I would like to go a little further. Would this be acceptable?

AGD
10-07-2003, 01:07 AM
top pic is not acceptable, side cuts ok.

AGD

Prezents
10-07-2003, 07:15 AM
Good looking side milling

luke
10-07-2003, 07:36 AM
Thanks Tom.
I won't go any further. This still gets it in under 3 oz. (85 grams)

Thanks Prezents...

shartley
10-07-2003, 07:51 AM
Great start Luke.

Hey, have you thought of doing progressively shorter “dashes” along the sides? What I mean is having the dash farthest to the rear the longest and then getting shorter closer to the front. I think this may give a “forward” sweeping affect. Just an idea….

luke
10-07-2003, 08:11 AM
Yea that would be easy enough. It's just a matter of getting the math figured right.

pito189
10-07-2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by shartley
Great start Luke.

Hey, have you thought of doing progressively shorter “dashes” along the sides? What I mean is having the dash farthest to the rear the longest and then getting shorter closer to the front. I think this may give a “forward” sweeping affect. Just an idea….

Ya I think that would look pretty cool.

Good job as it is though.

luke
10-07-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by RogueFactor
There are a few more things I can suggest that you can do to shed some more weight from the rail without touching the key spec areas.

:cool:

Shoot me a pm when you have time. Thanks........

luke
10-08-2003, 12:17 PM
1) "The floor of this pocket can be hogged out. Just dont touch the Z-Groove, thats the spec area."
I was wondering about that, I took mine down pretty far in that area,it's actually "paper thin".

2) "Similar to the AGD ULE rail, you can widen this a little. Just make sure not to go wider than the width of the intelliframe."
I always thought the cut acted like a kind of guide. I haven't seen the ULE rail yet I'll have to check it out.

3) "Buy an angle/dovetail 45* or 60* cutter, and angle the steps in the pockets."
Thats easy enough...

4) "The twist lock area can be hogged. Just dont touch the PIM area."
I'm not exactly sure what you mean here.(?)

I'm not sure why it would be a problem to mill out the area under the PIM (from the bottom)???

Just remember, proceed at your own risk. These are only suggestions, and less isnt always more.
:D

Thanks for the pointers...

FutureMagOwner
10-08-2003, 02:38 PM
you dont want to mill out the pim area probably since its a support for the body and screw(lets say you milled it out, the screw my snap then the body will do god knows what when the gun is pressureized)

luke
10-08-2003, 03:11 PM
I don't see how removing some material from the underneath side would affect anything. The PIM would remain unmodified.

What does PIM mean anyway?

FutureMagOwner
10-08-2003, 03:54 PM
well ill see if my thoughts on why is better explained in my diagram. think of it like that and what would happen if that rail wasnt supporting it.