PDA

View Full Version : It's Election Day

Albinonewt
10-07-2003, 06:06 AM
Today is the California Recall Election.

For those of you not in the know this is a pretty important election. California is the most important state in the union and right now it is having a pretty major recession, much worse the most of the rest of the country. The voters signed a petition to recall their governor, Gray Davis, and replace him with another candidate. Those people that signed the petition blame the governor for their state's problems and want to see him removed. In order to recall him on elecion day 50% +1 vote need to be cast for the recall. (right now polling at about 60%). If he is recalled whichever replacement candidate recieves the most votes is the winner. Most people probably know about the front runner, Arnold (polling at 40%) and his two closest rivals are Cruz Bustamante (Lt. Governor, polling at 30%) and Tom McClintolock (State Senator, polling around 15%).

This is a very important election and I urge people to check in on it throughout the day and listen to the commentary on it.

jdev
10-07-2003, 06:16 AM
i think its going to be close between davis, Schwarzenegger, and Bustamante.

personally, I havent been closely following the recall. If I were in california right now, I could say that my vote would not go to anyone other than people who are in politics, again, not having any further info on the other canidates.

this recall is a joke. everybody knows that. people are going to vote for arnold because of his silver screen recognition, not his outstanding politics. I have friends in california, that said that may just vote for larry flint, just because he is on the ballott, and I fear that is the way its going to go for arnold.

now, if arnold gets elected, and fulfills all his campaign promises, all the better. for some odd reason, i doubt he will live up to this. we all know this isint going to be a regan repeat, as arnold isint elligible for presedential canidacy.

honestly, I would like to see Bustamante given the position, if Davis couldnt do it right to begin with. But, if Davis gets re-elected, then what, another recall? He gets re-elected, he better thank his lucky stars and straighten things out over there.

ill be listening to the news off and on today, so, with more info on this election, ill probably chime in a little more here.

Python14
10-07-2003, 06:39 AM
Albino, I am beginning to think you care more about this recall election than most Californians do.

Albinonewt
10-07-2003, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by Python14
Albino, I am beginning to think you care more about this recall election than most Californians do.

I do. It sets the tone for the rest of the country.

California, for all it's problems, is much a trend setter in the United States. It is our most important state and as such what goes on there affects the rest of the nation. If California manages to implode, as I think it will under Davis or Bustamante, it could easily retrigger the nation's recession.

Also, the recall signifies a new standard of accountability for politicians. I think if this recall is successful it could trigger a new movement in the political process. Once the people realize they can dump a politician that cares more about himself then his electorate then we've got the makings for real campaign finance reform. Once politicans realize that getting elected isn't enough anymore, that you've got to remain in office as well, we might see some of the "bought" politicians start paying more attention to their people and less to their donors.

I think this recall is the first step towards real reform of the political system.

Collegeboy
10-07-2003, 08:17 AM
The winner of this vote doesn't matter. They will run into the same problems that Davis ran into. They will have the same failures as Davis ran into. So I will not be following it.

But I think the answer will be No to Recall.

1stdeadeye
10-07-2003, 08:39 AM
Woot!!!!

California is going to wash that "Gray" right out of there hair!

He is going to be recalled for the simple fact that he is a liar. He lied about the budget shortfall to get re-elected. There is no way the gap goes from 6 to 30 billion in a month.

Gray is a dirty campaigner and I can't wait to see him get his come uppance!!!

InexactMelissa
10-07-2003, 09:00 AM
I would vote for Larry Flint - the guy has certainly proven he can build and run an empire, why can't he do the same for a state?

Besides, it would be kinda funny.

Albinonewt
10-07-2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Collegeboy
The winner of this vote doesn't matter. They will run into the same problems that Davis ran into. They will have the same failures as Davis ran into. So I will not be following it.

The replacement will run into some of the same problems. The legislature will still be a thorn in his side, BUT he won't be the bought and paid for by the unions psychopath that Davis is. At least 2 of the 3 major candidates would resist the legislature's desire to spend money. The other two not so much.

Jack_Dubious
10-07-2003, 09:45 AM
I would really like to see McClintock in the position, but he doesnt really have a chance...so I may be voting for Arnie today. We cant let Bustamante win cause then California will be definately be turned into Mexifornia. :p

JDub

jpdgas
10-07-2003, 10:28 AM
I usually try to stay out of politics, but Davis has made california a miserable place to live. I think Arnold would be the best choice, although i think his timing is bad...he should have just waited until the next term.

Also, I think he is the best qualified. He has a masters in education, has been involved in various forms of politics and state progerams over the years, and he is married into a very political family (which may or may not help him).

I wish i could vote, Im not a cali resident untill next month (Idahoian at the moment) so someone who wasnt going to vote, vote for arnold for me.