PDA

View Full Version : The Gathering

momags!
10-09-2003, 05:52 AM
As AO'ers meet here from around the country, we are presented with unique opportunities to share and compare a wealth of information. I know I've had many questions answered by our more technically gifted members. There are walks of all life here, each with their own individual interests and talents.

With this in mind and in the interest of helping one another
be the very best at our game, which happens to be paintball, may I burden you with a request? My question is tactics. More specifically...X-Ball/Speedball/SupAir tactics. I don't want to put anyone in a position where they feel that their "trade secrets" are being compromised so be general if you like. What does your team do to succeed in the arena? What has made you successful?

I've been playing paintball off and on since the late 80's but have never competed. A friend and I are looking into the 3 and 5 man divisions at the local level and could use all the advice you could dish.

a. how do you communicate with one another? do you just yell out your intentions or do you utilize a code of sorts?

b. Are all the speedball type fields laid out the same, which would allow for standardization of tactics and angles?

c. Do 3 man teams utilize a "back?"

d. What type of equipment do you feel best meets the demands of this type of play (barrel length, harnesses, etc.)?

Let's hear it AO. Spill the beans. Let's get more Mag teams on the podium.

Albinonewt
10-09-2003, 06:08 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by momags!
a. how do you communicate with one another? do you just yell out your intentions or do you utilize a code of sorts?

We have a few different code words for things like reloading, I'm out, I got a guy out, and things like that. I also made my team learn to count in Japanese so when we call off bunker assignments we all know what we mean but most others do not.

b. Are all the speedball type fields laid out the same, which would allow for standardization of tactics and angles?

No, they are not all the same, but they all use a similiar set of principals (in general)

Mine does. He coordinates the two attackers and gives them room to move.

d. What type of equipment do you feel best meets the demands of this type of play (barrel length, harnesses, etc.)?

I generally play back and use my E-Mag with 14" Scepter. I also make sure to have a lot of paint on me )Empire 5+4 pack).

paintpiggie
10-09-2003, 06:52 AM
---codes are definitely helpful. your opponents wont know what your next moves will be. you want codes that are easy to remember, sometimes even borderline silly. "need some chicken" could mean you're reloading. "rabbit+bunker" lets your teammates know you wanna move and to where. the most important codes are the bunker codes since you'll be using those a lot.

---fields are laid out randomly, but youll always have the standard back bunkers and the 50. most fields are mirrored, either exact or opposite.

---my team does. but we try to be versatile since you never know what your role might be as the game changes pages. our back player can also play mid/wing if need be. and yeah, youre gonna need somebody to coordinate movements and spot opponents.. that's a back player's job.

---play a few games. find out what you're comfy with. supair fields vs hyperball vs spools and palettes vs woods. youre gonna need different gear for different situations. and ive learned that 3-man games are mostly quick games. i only go thru a hopper and a pod on most games. makes me feel a lot lighter bein in the front. no more than 14" and modify packs as needed. make sure you have a tent or something when you go play, and chairs and lots of water. bring a foldable table to set your gear up. you just never know what the weather is gonna be like that day. always bring an alternate guy or two. and you might wanna bring videocams and stuff too. helps with post-game evaluation, or just for fun. :)

see you at the 50, man.

ezrunner
10-09-2003, 09:32 AM

YES: YELL CODES

NO: FIELDS ARE ALL DIFFERENT, 3 PRINCIPLES, CONTAIN CONTROL COLLAPSE:

CONTAIN: contain thier break, ie have 2 of your guys come up shooting to keep the other team from getting wide on the field (this traps them in the middle or you shoot a couple on the break)

CONTROL: your third guy should run somewhere to get a good position, this is critical cause they are prolly paying attention to your shooters. You keep the fire up the whole time, always shooting so they can't move, can't shoot, can't play on the other team.

COLLAPSE: GO GET THEM! If it is a 3 on 2, move up one at a time until someone has one of the players shot out. Then if it's 3 on 1, bunker the last kid.

2 shooters on break and they move aggressively down field, so sorta, but not a whole game sitting back player

14" barrel for sup air, not too long but you can still push a bunker

at least 5 pods, less than 9 for 3 man :)

Lohman446
10-09-2003, 06:56 PM

My team generally has a plan going in, we have certain codes - before early moves I will call clear - I wait for the same reply from both teammates (indicating they are ready to lay cover) and then count to five before moving. It works for us. It is imporant to all be calling the bunkers the same thing - on one field for instance "the plywood" is descriptive enough, on others... Make codes simple, and practice often with a team often. My back player is used to me to the point htat he knows my moves well before I do.

No - be sure to get there early and walk it, watch the home teams, etc. to learn angles on the field. BTW, don't get to caught up in doing well... our last tournament we were playing 75 point games... in our first four when we were concentrating on having to do well we scored 40 points - once mathematically eliminated from finals we scored 135. BTW - also imporant, send one of the older or more experienced players to captains meeting, being captain is cool but not if you cannot afford the distraction... I have also seen some teams not have a good understanding of the rules when a younger player got back from meeting (not to say younger players are not able or anything, I am sure there are many who are, but there are many who should not be captain). Have fun... I recall my backplayer in an unimportant tournament game telling me he was going to move... I podded, then layed fire for him. When my hopper was emtpy I noticed he had not moved. I yelled across the field at him about never being allowed ot play front again, and then made the move on my own.

Yes... my team utilizes effectively at least one back player, often two, and sometimes we all end up in back... I normally play front (not well) but have been known to pull up short into a back bunker and lane to knock out opposing lanes. It is imporant in a 3 man competition that all the players be versatile. I have found that sometimes rather than playing front/mid/back it works better to play left / center / right and move as permitted.

All the barrels I have are 12"... I carry three pods with me and have yet to shoot through them. My back player (see above assignments) carries six, as does my mid player. Equipment wise level ten is nearly a must (I know many have played without it, etc.) it has saved me often from shortstroking breaks. I like my Ronin Stealth harness myself, as it allows me three pods without being bulky for them, yet I could carry five.

Caffiend
10-10-2003, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by momags!

We yell. Mostly simple codes, i.e. reload, cleaning barrel, (for those who don't have the level 10:)), gun down (for those who don't have mags:)), and who's moving where. We don't use codes for where the opposition is. Don't bother coding that because they know where they already are...or something like that. And lastly how many there are of us and them.

b. Are all the speedball type fields laid out the same, which would allow for standardization of tactics and angles? Fields aren't the same, but they do kind of allow for standardization of tactics. Definately walk the field(s) before hand and look at EVERY bunker, not just the ones you plan on going to.

c. Do 3 man teams utilize a "back?" We do. Mostly front, mid, back. But all of us can switch roles. Or Left, right, and center. Center player is a bit farther back than the other two.

I use a 10" barrel, most of my teammates use 12" or 14." I usually carry hopper + one 140 round pod for front. Although I have gone out with just hopper. I'd recommend at least one pod.

GA Devil
10-10-2003, 06:37 AM
A. Try to walk a field before playing a tourney and code the bunkers easy enough to remember. We use a letter and number system that works well. That way you can call the opponents out.

B. No they arent usually the same. Hence another reason to walk the field and study it.

C. Yes back players are used alot even in 3 man.

D. I run from with a mag and a small back and usually a back player tends to use something with a high ROF and carrys a big pack so they can lay alot of paint for the front player to get his job done.

Now a question for you...lol. Where you and your friend from?

momags!
10-10-2003, 11:11 PM
We're from Northern Virginia and play Pev's, Skyline and just about anywhere in between. Thanks for all the useful information, guys. I really appreciate it. I figure the more we know going in, the better we'll lose! ;)