PDA

View Full Version : lvl 10 questions

Automag_DYE
10-09-2003, 05:05 PM
ok i am going to ask all fo my lvl 10 questions all at once
1. what would happen if i useda to tight / to loose of carrier?
2. how do i know what size spring to use?
3. i heard something about turning up the velocity so it can fire????
4. bolt sticks, do they happen and if they do, do i just push the bolt back with squeegee?
5. and what happens instead of a paintchop? does it jsut misfeed or....????

thats about it

InexactMelissa
10-09-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Automag_DYE
ok i am going to ask all fo my lvl 10 questions all at once
1. what would happen if i useda to tight / to loose of carrier?

Very common problem from what I have heard. Symptoms might include air leaks and bolt stick.

Start with a longer spring and work your way down to a shorter spring. You will find that if the spring is to long, the marker just plain won't work, or will work sporadically.

Yes. I would recommend having access to a chrono when you do this. You'll need to turn the velocity WAY up, till it starts venting, then back it down. Beware if you play at indoor fields - you may have problems getting it to work under 250.

4. bolt sticks, do they happen and if they do, do i just push the bolt back with squeegee?

They may happen when you are getting it set up, but with the proper installation, you shouldn't have an ongoing problem....you just haven't acheived the proper shim/oring/carrier combination yet. Push it back with the squeegee and try again.

Chuff Chuff. Nothing. It'll just make a little chuff chuff noise and you're good to go again.

thats about it

Good luck, and enjoy!

athomas
10-10-2003, 08:00 AM
1. what would happen if i used a to tight / to loose of carrier?

A carrier tha is too tight would cause bolt stick and/or velocity fluctuations. A carrier that is too loose will leak out the front.

Use the longest spring that allows your gun to fire consistently in the velocity range you want to operate. Get your setup working with the short spring first. Then, once the gun is shooting consistently and you have no leaks, try a longer spring. Remember to increase the velocity setting when you increase the spring size.

The level 10 bolt uses a higher chamber pressure with the longer springs. Turning up the velocity is in fact increasing the chamber pressure so the gun will shoot properly.

Bolt sticks will happen if the bolt stem gets dry (lack of oil) or if the carrier o-ring is too small. if you experience bolt stick, just push the bolt back into place using a squeegie.

Any object in front of the bolt that it can't move using the preset bolt force will result in some of the chamber pressure being vented out the bolt. This reduces the chamber pressure, allowing the bolt spring to push the bolt back into position to be ready for the next shot. What you will hear when this happens is a "pssst".

Another item of mention is the shims. They are not an essential item for the level 10 to work properly. Many people don't use any at all. If you choose to use shims, add them one at a time until you start to experience a tiny leak out the front of the powertube. Then remove the shim that caused the leak. This will put you on the performance edge.