PDA

View Full Version : My IT guys suck

Albinonewt
10-09-2003, 05:09 PM
My IT guys reconfigured their web sense program today to close these forums off to me at work.

I'm annoyed.

Fanatic
10-09-2003, 05:31 PM
found your IT Guys down the street
....and yeah they feel bad about it

bofh
10-09-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Albinonewt
My IT guys reconfigured their web sense program today to close these forums off to me at work.

I'm annoyed.

Don't blame the IT guys.

Trust me, the last thing a lazy IT guys wants to do is censor the internet. In the end it is more work for the IT guys.

IT people will always gravitate to the least amount of work :)

Blame the Lawyers or micromanagers.

alkafluence
10-09-2003, 06:17 PM
I believe that calls for going through a web based proxy server :)

WickeDKlowN
10-09-2003, 07:29 PM
http://proxify.com/url=http://automags.org/

Guess I'm allowed to post that... If not, the mods can feel free to edit/delete it.

jpdgas
10-09-2003, 09:11 PM
As I AM an IT guy I can tell you we hate doing it. It gets evryone mad at us when we have nothing to do with it. The boss says "these guys waste too much time on the net, shut it down" and we do. and everyone gets mad. I am in the process of doing this very thing and it sucks big time.

next time you see your IT guy, give him a break cause he gets pressure from all sides. also dont let them catch you (and they will catch you) circumventing the system, itll just make it worse for you.

Muzikman
10-10-2003, 02:22 PM
That's the great part about being in IS/IT and being a Network Analyst...we get all the little backdoors around those types of things.

Crighton
10-10-2003, 03:21 PM
VNC to a remote machine. Use the web browser and internet from the remote machine. IS can only snoop your VNC traffic which is on a very odd port number and 99% of the time isn't even noticed.

Or you could setup some bnc's on the lan in another segment and re route port 80 through those.

1stdeadeye
10-10-2003, 03:36 PM
That sucks.

That is why I like being in a remote location with my own server. The IT guys only come out when there is a problem.

Damn the man! Save the Empire!;)

Looks like laptop and dial-up time!:D

Hexis
10-10-2003, 03:58 PM
I'm one of those "Damn IT guys", and I take care of the web blocking at my company.

It sucks hard. Web blocking is a tech solution to a managment problem. It's just a crutch for bad managers who can't do their job. I hate maintaining it, and the users hate having to deal with it.

bofh
10-10-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Hexis
I'm one of those "Damn IT guys", and I take care of the web blocking at my company.

In our case, it was requirements from the lawyers. We have to make a "best effort" to block offensive sites, so the company doesn't get sued. But frankly we don't care enough. :)

Hexis
10-10-2003, 04:27 PM
True some lawyers dictate that policy as well. That's a valid reason for it. Doesn't mean I have to like it, and the damn lawyers better not tell me their username... *clickity* *click*.