PDA

View Full Version : Will this Wall Charger work for my Xmag Battery?

Bulldog
10-10-2003, 01:11 AM
I bought this for my Angel, and I'm curious if it'll work for my Xmag..

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F009%5F001%5F005%5F000&product%5Fid=22%2D504

Kaiser Bob
10-10-2003, 01:16 AM
yep

Bulldog
10-10-2003, 01:30 AM
Thanks for the quick response, just what I needed.

adam shannon
10-10-2003, 01:52 AM
radio shack has a smaller one that ive been using for a year now with no probs. its about 3 inches long and 1 1/2 wide with a lighter plug receptacle and a two prong plug. its smaller and cheaper.
the catalog # is 22-505

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F009%5F001%5F005%5F000&product%5Fid=22%2D505

MarkM
10-10-2003, 08:33 AM
Don't use the 22-505 it is unregulated you may well have been lucky but pay the extra and get the one quoted at the top of this thread. albeit for Angels but rebadged the 22-505 "was" sold by Cobra not anymore only a one similar to the big power unit is what they sell now. The 22-505 is primaraly for use with cell phones not $1500 paintball markers ;) Just 'cos you can plug into it doesn't mean it is correct.

Wynken
10-10-2003, 11:50 AM
Is it a known problem that those don't work? Because I would think that the charger for the emag and angel wouldn't need a regulated 12V because they've both got regulators in the chargers. A car's output 12V it going to swing quite a bit also, it's not really well regulated. But, I've never actually tried it, so I don't know for sure.

hitech
10-10-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Wynken
IA car's output 12V it going to swing quite a bit also, it's not really well regulated.

The output from the car's 12 volt power socket is NOT requlated. When the car is off it's somewhere around 12 volts. When the car is running it's closer to 14 volts. If the car's battery is low it will jump even higher.

So, a regulated power supply is over kill for the eMag charger. But it will work just fine. Usually you want a regulated 12 volt power supply so the voltage doesn't drop under 12 volts in higher draw applications.

Wynken
10-10-2003, 12:23 PM
Yeah, Yeah. What he said.

runningman
10-10-2003, 04:59 PM
what if a smaller charger is used? similar to the one that charges MP3 lithium batteries.

like this 12V
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F009%5F001%5F001%5F001&product%5Fid=273%2D1779

or this smaller one with less current?

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F009%5F001%5F001%5F001&product%5Fid=273%2D1773

i dunno what to get

LaW
10-10-2003, 05:03 PM
The first one is the one i use and a lot of people use, the 2nd one you put up will not work

you can get by with just a 1000mA that will work too

runningman
10-10-2003, 05:06 PM
thanks!

so the idea is to have more current than the battery's output current? I am rusty in my physics. been awhile since i did E&M

LaW
10-10-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by runningman
thanks!

so the idea is to have more current than the battery's output current? I am rusty in my physics. been awhile since i did E&M

I believe you need as much or more...

MarkM
10-10-2003, 05:23 PM
1 amp or better is needed (1000ma = 1 amp).....and a car charging circuit IS voltage regulated 'cos if it wasn't then you blow the car battery....just nearly had that happen..the alternator gave out and was giving just shy of 16v when it should have been around the 12-14v area...result was a car battery that had a huge bulging side as the acid heated up, any longer and an explosion would have been the result but the visible result was all my dash lights and main lights were super bright so I did have a bit of a clue that something was wrong. Some cars also have another voltage regulator in an additional location usually behind the dash near the instrument panel, but getting off topic now. Don't try to skimp, buy the more expensive charger and you will have enough headroom plus plug it into an anti-surge strip (your PC should be plugged into one of those anyhow)and all will be good. you are just trying to save $10, well how much would a new E-mag battery be...a little more than the $10 saving you are tring to get.

runningman
10-10-2003, 05:29 PM
i am just looking for a charger i can use in a wall socket, without having to get a dingly little adaptor. i dont want to use the cigarette charger. also, i really wouldnt be driving for the amount of time that is advised for the battery to charge for.

paintpiggie
10-10-2003, 09:33 PM
what the hell,
i thought any 12V adapter works.
whats up with the amps and the wattage and the regulation
and anything and ...whaaaaa

i just got one of those universal thingamagig
from circuit city.. maybe that's why im not gettin
enough pull from the solenoid.... could that be
a reason why?

this sucks.

LaW
10-10-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by paintpiggie
what the hell,
i thought any 12V adapter works.
whats up with the amps and the wattage and the regulation
and anything and ...whaaaaa

i just got one of those universal thingamagig
from circuit city.. maybe that's why im not gettin
enough pull from the solenoid.... could that be
a reason why?

this sucks.

You need a 12v adapter thats pretty strong to charge the battery sufficiently, i would be thats why yours is sucking :)

punkcmonkiez
10-11-2003, 01:48 PM
Got my adapter at big lots for $5
Any adapter that is 12 volts DC and about 800mA or greater will work, just make sure that the polarity is correct. I have used all of the supplies pictured below to charge my battery with no problem. The first and last ones you don't even need to use that 12volt cigarette plug thingy, just plug it directly into the charger. The charger in the middle is the one I found at BIG LOTS for $5. I saw the exact one at WALMART for $10 in the automotive section. I have an even a smaller one for a cell Phone to plug into like a cigarette lighter for $1.88 at MARK'S but I i do not know the Milliamp output on that one, it would probably take days to charge from it.

Adrenaline0520
10-11-2003, 01:50 PM
What do you mean that it's not regulated(22-505)!!?? http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F009%5F001%5F005%5F000&Page=1 it says it regulates up to 1 amp! So why is it not good enough?

hostage
10-11-2003, 09:22 PM
I use the smaller of the converters for my e-mag and it charged it, supriseingly in minutes.
-Doron

MarkM
10-13-2003, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by Adrenaline0520
What do you mean that it's not regulated(22-505)!!?? http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F009%5F001%5F005%5F000&Page=1 it says it regulates up to 1 amp! So why is it not good enough?

I see what you are saying...it does indeed say "regulates up to 1000ma" but "regulates up to" is not the same meaning as "regulated" least not in electronics....it has a "smoothing" capacitor inside that will allow a regulation of the power transferance but not to stop power fluctuations...that is what a "regulated" power supply does and has a greater constant power output and why it is different in description. US power is lower than anywhere else in the world except Japan, I could explain why if you want but then you should know your own history.
Remember I said in the beginning that my knowledge of the use of the particular charger asked about in the first post is related to Angels.....Cobra sold the rebadged 22-505 as an "WDP approved" unit...they don't sell it now as they are selling the bigger proper regulated version. Conversations with Fraser (top WDP tech, not just certificated but actually works for WDP in case you don't know the name) revealed that the majority of battery/board problems thjat happen in the US are due to people using too small unregulated power adapters without the "balls" to charge the battery...the Angel NEEDS 1amp(1000ma) constant, not up to, not nearly, but constant.
This may be a little different with an E-mag of whatever flavour but to save a few $'s when the bigger better constructed unit will do the job in its sleep makes it a null arguement.
Much the same as you can buy a battery charger from Walmart and then go to Home depot and buy a stronger fast charger (talking about regular batterys now) both do the job but one does it with ease whilst the other struggles...also with the Angel there is a timer control built into the grip (half the charging circuit) that displays a fault if the Angel hasn't recieved the correct amount of power over a given time...so the stronger charger is needed. It might well be overkill for an E-mag battery but I'm sorry I am one of these people who will buy something that does the job easily not just about.