PDA

View Full Version : Type of oil to use

atcer
10-10-2003, 04:37 PM
i got a mag off ebay and im not sure when it was last oiled and i kinda want to oil it to make sure its in top condition for this weekend and we dont really have any paintball stores here in the wasteland known as north dakota... what kind of oil could i use that would be available here...(we dont even have a lowes or home depot) could i use cooking oil? lol... seriously... can i?

afrankart
10-10-2003, 04:49 PM
I wouldn't use anything you have around the house. Where do you get your paintballs at? They probably carry paintball gun oil. Any brand will do you as long as it is FOR paintball guns. If you are really serious about lube, check out Kermode Concepts Troublefree Lube. Great stuff.

Jack & Coke
10-10-2003, 06:13 PM
This is the only oil I use... makes my gun extra sexy!

paint magnet
10-10-2003, 06:25 PM
Don't use gun oil. Using cooking oil will most likely gum something up unless you use it on something that doesn't care, like an SL-68 or something.(I definately wouldn't run it through a mag though)

You can get KC Trouble free here- KC Trouble Free Paintgun Oil (www.kercon.com)

Good luck with your mag.

cphilip
10-10-2003, 06:44 PM
Good quality Pnematic Air Tool oil that you can get at Walmart. It will be synthetic. All of it pretty much is if its for Pneumatic Air Tools.

SIGSays
10-10-2003, 10:19 PM
whatever happen to gold cup?

Shyne151
10-10-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by SIGSays
whatever happen to gold cup?

I still buy and use it.

BlackVCG
10-11-2003, 04:16 PM
I now use 10wt. RC Car Shock Oil. 100% Silicone Oil.

Gold Cup will not be found within a 50ft radius of any of my guns.

paint magnet
10-18-2003, 06:50 PM
BlackVCG, what made you switch from KC?

And about the air tool oil- that's what Palmer's Pursuit shop uses and reccomends as well.

theraidenproject
10-19-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by BlackVCG
What's wrong with it? I've used it about 2 years with no problems.

BlackVCG
10-19-2003, 02:42 AM
Gold Cup works, but I prefer not to get it near my guns. Ever take apart a gun that has been around for a long time and has been oiled by Gold Cup? Most likely the o-rings are brownish yellow and brittle. Not sure about you guys, but I don't change my o-rings. Good worn in o-rings are the best. Since I got my E-Mag 2 years ago, I haven't changed one o-ring in it. Other than when I switched to LX once it came out...

As for the RC car shock oil (silicone oil). I've just started to use it because it's cheaper ($2.50 for a 2 ounce bottle) and it's a good clean oil. It doesn't have the performance characteristics of KC in terms of the timken load rating, but so far I haven't noticed a difference. Also, my source of KC oil stopped carrying it, so that was one of the reasons why I searched for a different oil. I still think KC is a better oil, there's just other acceptable substitutes.

sneakyhacker420
10-19-2003, 09:45 AM
i use dow33 shocker lube on all of my guns... for some reason it really likes it

and i only have to lube it every month or two

but i grease the LX o-ring every week to make sure it doesnt start getting pissy with me :p

if you guys wanna hear my retarded story...

i lost my bottle of oil at the seige paintball park in wisconsin, and the just used dow33 on all of my o-rings and it seems to be more consistent and give me less problems with level 10 :D

atleast smart parts *cough* DOW *cough* is good for one thing (and i'm lovin my freak so back off you anti-sp communists!)

dansim
10-19-2003, 11:30 AM
you know that orange goop(grease) that drips of a hot slice of pizze onto your lap?

yeah that,

i get a funnel and wring my pizza out over the funnel. it also makes a good antihistimine(SP)(used as a nose spray.:p )

68Classic
10-19-2003, 05:23 PM
I use kingman oil. Works good.

cphilip
10-19-2003, 06:36 PM
Kingman? Well you do know that none of these people make pneumatic oil? They all buy their base stock from someone like Mobil Oil company and add their additives (if they add any at all). BUT for the most part all they do is package it and add their label. And charge you out the ying yang for the little marketing touch.

Good Air Tool oil is made almost about the same way from ANYONE. Some of the bases vary but they all for the most part fine for use here. Some have some hydrocracked derived synthetic oils in them. Some are purely synthetic derived (Mobil supplied) Some grades of base are pure Silicone some are blended between those two. But they all work pretty well. Some even add coloring to wow you. And some of that can realy be less than desirable. The rest is, for the most part, marketing and packaging. These valves are after all "Air tools" with some similar charicteristics. And in most cases some of those charicteristics are not as hard to fullfill as say an air tool like might used in a deep Coal mine. A quart of good quality Air Tool oil is about Five to Six bucks. You can buy a bunch of little two ounce squeeze bottles and make your self some money! ;)

Don't fall for the hype!

-=Squid=-
10-19-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by cphilip
You can buy a bunch of little two ounce squeeze bottles and make your self some money! You can now check the dealers forum for "Nickaroos Down Home PB Gun Oil" :eek:

Fixion
10-19-2003, 06:54 PM
I now use 10wt. RC Car Shock Oil. 100% Silicone Oil.

RC car shock oil is great, it never gums up, doesn't eat orings, and is very smooth.

BlackVCG
10-19-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Fixion

RC car shock oil is great, it never gums up, doesn't eat orings, and is very smooth.

Exactly.

-=Squid=-
10-19-2003, 08:06 PM

Exactly. Where can I get that? Besides online that is.

BlackVCG
10-19-2003, 09:17 PM
Your local hobby store.

I use Associated Electrics, Inc. brand shock oil.

Get either 10wt or 20wt.