PDA

View Full Version : Go see Kill Bill

Albinonewt
10-10-2003, 11:23 PM
I'm tired and need to sleep. I'll explain more in the morning, but for now just know that you need to see this movie.

ZAust
10-11-2003, 12:35 AM
i really wanted to see this tonight, but i couldnt make it.. damn sat IIs tomorrow!

RetroEclipseMan
10-11-2003, 12:14 PM
Man, Saw it last night and must say that it IS the best movie I've seen in a long long time.Probably going to see it again tonight as well. Can't wait for volume II to come out. Definately on of Tarintino's best works.

paintballcowboy
10-11-2003, 12:17 PM
I diden't care for the animay stuff, other than that it was cool.

edweird
10-11-2003, 12:37 PM
Gonna hit it up today...

**Review**

This was simply fantastic. Nuff said. From the Anime to the Hong Kong action theater-esque fight scenes I was simply blown away with this flic.

its sad that the bastard execs are forcing this into 2 installments ... but I hope that the fact it is 2 segments allows QT to release the movie at a perfect length to tell his tale.

Simply Fantastic. Aind saying anything less would be doing it discredit.

mikey101
10-11-2003, 08:22 PM
dammit, i wanna see this so bad, but no one wants to go with me. meh, looks like i'll be hittin it up alone

Can_Opener
10-11-2003, 09:02 PM
I went and saw this Friday night, and even though I liked it, I would hardly call the movie great. Although I'm not a big fan of Tarantinos hey, I'll show you the beginning, then the middle, then the real beginning, then the end of the middle, and some more of the beginning style that only he seems to use.

AssassN
10-11-2003, 09:52 PM
It's VERY bloody, but not bad bloody. It's that fakey type blood from Monty Python.

The story didn't have much point to it except that some people tried to kill this lady and they screw up and now shes out for revenge.

They never did (or i missed it) explain why they tried to kill her in the first place. Their organization sounds like they carry out special hits and it looked like they just randomly killed some wedding people.

It was pretty good but not nearly as good as I thought.

Angry Man
10-11-2003, 11:59 PM
It's like the most brilliant movie ever--it works on about a billion different bizzare levels. In a year full of uninspired adaptations, sequels, and re-hashes, it's a surprising miracle that what is being marketed as an almost derivative homage flick is the first truly original thing all year.

Lost in Translation was good too, btw, but for totally opposite reasons. Also refreshingly original, though.

Angry Man
10-12-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by AssassN

They never did (or i missed it) explain why they tried to kill her in the first place. Their organization sounds like they carry out special hits and it looked like they just randomly killed some wedding people.

All will be explained in the next movie, apparently. The movie doesn't progress linearly, so first things are not first, but it seems more interesting this way. But even from what is seen the general reason they tried to kill the bride is pretty obvious...she cheated on Bill or somesuch and forsook the assassin squad deal she was in.

RetroEclipseMan
10-12-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Angry Man

All will be explained in the next movie, apparently. The movie doesn't progress linearly, so first things are not first, but it seems more interesting this way. But even from what is seen the general reason they tried to kill the bride is pretty obvious...she cheated on Bill or somesuch and forsook the assassin squad deal she was in.

Yeah, Since it was originally filmed as 1 whole movie you kinda have to see the second one to figure out the whole story. If I remember correctly Terintino just thought showing them both together would be too long and didn't wanna cut out a bunch of stuff to have it fit a certain length so he just broke it into 2 parts.

If you're not really into his style of film then you're not going to enjoy most of them since he definately doesn't tell a linear story in many of his films which is one of the reasons I like them so much. You never truly know how they're gonna end.

Kai
10-12-2003, 10:30 PM
Very cool flick.

Everything I could have hoped for; I can't wait for volume II.

And Cowboy, you are insane. The anime scene was one of the better parts of the movie.

mikey101
10-13-2003, 12:03 AM
very very good movie, it really drops you at the end, so all i have to say is, when the hell does volume II come out?

satin (not satan)
10-13-2003, 12:06 AM
great movie everyone should see it one of qt's finest works

mikey101
10-13-2003, 12:13 AM
It said at the beginning this was tarentino's 4th movie. I know of reservoir dogs and pulp fiction which were both extremely good movies, but what is his other movie?

Angry Man
10-13-2003, 12:14 AM
Jackie Brown. I haven't seen it.

NewMag
10-13-2003, 12:38 AM
Uma THurman's in it. that's reason enough Not to go.

Timmee
10-13-2003, 03:12 AM
I saw it yesterday (Sunday). I must say that I was severely disappointed. The story line is there, but the way it was filmed was why I didn't like it. Some of the scenes were overtly fake (like the crouching tiger-hidden dragon style wirefighting, and the sprinkler fountains of fake blood).

I understand some people liked it (my roommate did), but I won't be seeing this movie again.

Thordic
10-13-2003, 09:48 AM
I can't stand that CTHD crap, which is why I'm not too excited about this movie. I mean, "willing suspension of disbelief" is one thing. I'm willing to let myself believe Arnold and Jean Claude can get shot at by a billion guys and never get hit, because while that defies reality, it doesn't defy physics.

When something is so off the wall it breaks your ability to put your mind into the movie, that ruins the movie for me.

A good action film should keep you entranced, almost believing that it is happening as you watch it. But if they throw in something that takes your mind out of it, makes you blink and go "Hold on a second, this is just a movie", then they've lost something.

People flying around and fighting in midair and all that crap should be saved for comedys, where you don't care if its realy or not as long as its funny, or fantasy/scifi, where magic and/or jetpacks fixes the problem.

BobTheCow
10-13-2003, 09:58 AM
Like somebody already said, if you don't like Tarantino style, you're not gonna like this movie. I read several interviews people did with him, and the way his twisted (but pretty damn cool) mind works is to produce the goofy blood as the comic relief of the movie. And the non-linear way he SHOWS the story (not tells, mind you) is definitely Tarantino-esque... now, the only thing left for me to do is actually SEE THIS MOVIE!!

$tevo
10-13-2003, 11:08 AM
kill bill was insane. it was sooo gory, haha. i love sword fighting movies. was there a reason for the anime though?

edweird
10-13-2003, 11:47 AM
Thordic... the CTHD action they are talking about is only in one scene and one fight segment on a railing. The overall style of this flic is worth the price of admission alone

Kai
10-13-2003, 12:20 PM
I don't think that some people understand the fact that it was SUPPOSED to look over the top in some points, reminiscent of old Japanese B movies.

It is all part of the style QT was going for.

Thordic, you must see it.

Thordic
10-13-2003, 12:51 PM
I understand its supposed to be over the top. But I think it sucks in a "serious" action movie.

I love the old chinese action-comedies, which were totally over the top and intentionally stupid. Using it inside the context of a supposedly serious action movie though, I just can't accept that.

mikey101
10-13-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by $tevo
was there a reason for the anime though?

I think they used anime in the few scenes because it was so gory. If they didn't, my guess would be that it would get a worse rating such as NC-17 and would not come out in theatres. or maybe it's just QT's weird mind doing it's thing again..

edweird
10-13-2003, 03:23 PM
quote: Originally posted by $tevo
"reason for the anime?"

Well if you remember the content of the anime scene and who the action was regarding... I dont think any director would want to cast a child only to show that horror just for a secondhand flashback scene.

The anime allows the totally hearsay storyteller to set the scene to suspend disblief that it deserves, yet conveys the trauma the tale is due.

Kai
10-13-2003, 03:40 PM
Also, what better way to show the Japanese assassin's background than the style of animation created there?

Angry Man
10-13-2003, 08:36 PM
Thordic, this is not a serious action movie. On a scale from one to serious action movie...0.5 or less.

About two scenes of wire work in the whole movie.

Oh, and the fake blood and the "bad parts" are all intentional...sounds weird, but it's AWESOME!!!! You'll either get the movie or you won't, if you do get it, you'll love it, otherwise, you'll probably hate it.

RetroEclipseMan
10-13-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Angry Man
Thordic, this is not a serious action movie. On a scale from one to serious action movie...0.5 or less.

About two scenes of wire work in the whole movie.

Oh, and the fake blood and the "bad parts" are all intentional...sounds weird, but it's AWESOME!!!! You'll either get the movie or you won't, if you do get it, you'll love it, otherwise, you'll probably hate it.

Exactly. I don't think it was really all that gory at all. THe fact that he made all the blood really fake looking in itself takes most of the gore out of it I think. Since you know it's supposed to be real. I'm glad that Terintino has the balls to actually create an action movie that isn't supposed to be seen as "realistic" but still be interesting without a ton of cg.

LittleKrems
10-13-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by mikey101

I think they used anime in the few scenes because it was so gory. If they didn't, my guess would be that it would get a worse rating such as NC-17 and would not come out in theatres. or maybe it's just QT's weird mind doing it's thing again..

i think it was for flashbacks of character's history

mikey101
10-13-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by LittleKrems

i think it was for flashbacks of character's history

could be..but he didn't use anime when uma thurman was having flashbacks of when she got the crap beat out of her.

edweird
10-14-2003, 01:20 AM
could be..but he didn't use anime when uma thurman was having flashbacks

true that... note the fact that "the Brides" flashback reflections are based on first person accounts not some account that was transfered between co-workers. Hence the seperation of tale and reality.

dre1919
10-14-2003, 03:20 PM
I loved this movie, it was very well done. Quinten's work is just on another level. While I like Uma Thurman (she's a hottie), and agree with her mission of revenge, I still hated to see Lucy Liu's character go down. Lucy's super, mad, crazy style hot, and a bad+++ chic to boot. Volume II is going to be hella good.

Ironmag
10-15-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by dre1919
I loved this movie, it was very well done. Quinten's work is just on another level. While I like Uma Thurman (she's a hottie), and agree with her mission of revenge, I still hated to see Lucy Liu's character go down. Lucy's super, mad, crazy style hot, and a bad+++ chic to boot. Volume II is going to be hella good.

I agree and I also think that Go-Go chick (the other Japanese assasin with the ball and chain) was a hottie.

Matt1427
10-15-2003, 07:33 PM
Tarantino is a genius. Go see this in a diff state of mind, it is brilliant.