PDA

View Full Version : First full minimag experience (disappointing)

Martin2D
10-13-2003, 09:11 PM
I just bought a minimag off of ebay and the gun works fine and everything, but I was somewhat disappointed in its performance. Except for sound and a smaller rate of fire, it really doesn't seem to perform better then my Spyder Compact 2k. Yes, I know it sounds crazy, but I take good care of it and its not crapped out like every other kids compact. This also didn't influence my decision because its probably easily fixable, but the valve randomly would start leaking down the barrel and I would have to pull the trigger 10+ times for it to stop and be able to shoot again. I'm seriously thinking about going low end electro (bko/tribal) because I really don't see the difference between my two current guns. Let me know if you agree or wholy disagree.

ß?µ£ §mµ®ƒ
10-13-2003, 09:14 PM
you cant expect a used gun to be as good as a new one can you? its all personal preference, the purpose of the gun, accuracy by volume, do you like the trigger pull and such etc....

SuiciDal Sn Y p ER
10-13-2003, 09:16 PM
....well...you bought it off of ebay.

just curious...how much did u buy it for?

Martin2D
10-13-2003, 09:19 PM
My compact was bought used too. $305 for purple ano., 2 drop forwards with fittings, 10" Dye Stainless, 88 cu Air America N2 tank, flex 7 mask, vl200, and gun case.

ASDadam
10-13-2003, 09:23 PM
I went from a Spyder Aggressor which i loved to a Minimag. As it stands now with the Intelli i can keep up with electros and Tippmann R/T triggers. So needless to say i was definately not dissatisfied with my Mini. But then again its all personal preference. BTW the leaking down the barrel and 10shots to "fix" it is the cup seal. U need to replace it quite a bit with spyders.

cphilip
10-13-2003, 09:24 PM
It sounds like it needs some AO love. Some tweeking. Are you close to the South East? If you are and you can make it to AO SE day in South Carolina Nov 22nd we fix it up for you. I got anything it would need and I do it for free for you. Look me up.

Martin2D
10-13-2003, 09:29 PM
Unfortunately, I'm in New Jersey.

MoBiLe
10-13-2003, 09:34 PM
i bet its just an oring
or maybe the reg seat

Martin2D, are you near jersey city?
go to the pbx store, im sure theyll be able to fix it for you

Dayspring
10-13-2003, 09:50 PM
If you're not close to Jersey City (PBX Store) I or Tunaman would be happy to look at the gun for you.

Martin2D
10-13-2003, 09:52 PM
I live outside of Atlantic City. I play at Atco (Manhunt Paintball).

pointm@n
10-13-2003, 10:30 PM
Hey I also came from the spyder camp to the automag family and I can say I'm glad to be here. Spyders and Mags are two different beasts. The mags are so much better engineered than spyders and it shows in performance. I used to chop with my old spyder xtra, but never have that problem with the mag with level x. also the mags seem to be more consistent than my old xtra. Don't get me wrong, the xtra was a great starter gun but in no way can compete with the mag in performance. also the xtra wasn't off the wall stock, it was pretty hooked up and could rip pretty well but turned into a blender when i got really trigger happy...

get that mag looked at and i'm sure you'll grow to love it. sounds like it needs a bit of a tune up from a parts kit and you should be good to go...

adam shannon
10-13-2003, 11:24 PM
a mag will perform flawlessly with regular preventive maintenance...including oil each time you play. a used gun thats been neglected will act up till its been brought back into specs...usually just a new o-ring kit.

if your in jersey take a trip some weekend up north. PBX, tunaman, or any of the guys from blackcell would most likely be happy to meet and play with you and deffinately fix your marker right up.

Splat
10-13-2003, 11:37 PM
I shoot a spyder com 2K as my back up... My friend let me shoot his minimag (which I now own ;)) and I fell in love with it. Sure, it was modified when I bought it (I still think I overpayed) but with the work I've done with it and the work I have yet to do, I think it'll turn out to be one of the better ones out there...

dinger
10-13-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Martin2D
I'm seriously thinking about going low end electro (bko/tribal)...

the bko?! WHAT YOU CALLIN LOW-END ELECTRO!?!?:mad:
/me claws up pillow

the bko is a fine paint marking instrument
dont let the price fool you! its a good gun for the buck :D

but still, mags rule..

Carbon
10-14-2003, 02:44 AM
A couple of Q's

1) Are the o-rings in the gun ok. 99% of the time when a mag leaks its a worn or wrong/misplaced oring.

2) Are there anything other than stock parts on the gun?

3) Is it lubed?

4) does it a have a Level 10 bolt? If so you might want to change to a smaller carrier.

5)Did the gun come with the AGD Auto/mini mag video? if it did watch it! If it didnt, buy one at the AGD store.

6) How is your paint to barrel match?

SkyBoySurfer
10-14-2003, 03:08 AM
but the valve randomly would start leaking down the barrel and I would have to pull the trigger 10+ times for it to stop and be able to shoot again

Sounds like the On/off valve...if air is comeing down the berral it usaly is

you should get the Automag/minimag matince video for $4.00

its awsome video...you will learn everything thats in the mag...and how to fix the problems you can encounter.

usaly any problem you do encounter is just a ORing that needs to be replaced.

Albinonewt
10-14-2003, 06:12 AM

There's a lot of us mag guys in Jersey. I'm sure someone can look at it for you.

rabidchihauhau
10-14-2003, 06:27 AM
That's cause the Werewolves adopted them back in '90 and used them to such devestating effect that no one else had any choice but to "keep up with the Joneses".

Seriously, there's a lot of first generation experience with 'mags in Jersey. Some of it can be found at Paintball Depot, some of it can be found at ET Paintball, and some of can be found elsewhere as others here have already mentioned.

My advice to the new 'mag owner is to find a good local tech and get that gun tuned up. Mags are the perfect progression for former Spyder users.

Martin2D
10-14-2003, 03:52 PM
1) Are the o-rings in the gun ok. 99% of the time when a mag leaks its a worn or wrong/misplaced oring.

No, but I'll check again later

2) Are there anything other than stock parts on the gun?

No, but it has a smart mag valve (no mods)

3) Is it lubed?

Always

4) does it a have a Level 10 bolt? If so you might want to change to a smaller carrier.

No, I tried the dollar bill test and it was about as gentle as a jackhammer.

5)Did the gun come with the AGD Auto/mini mag video? if it did watch it! If it didnt, buy one at the AGD store.

No video

6) How is your paint to barrel match?

I never really checked.

trev_pbller
10-14-2003, 03:57 PM
So your saying the o rings are no good or you do not know? Smart valve?

Trev

Big'n slo
10-14-2003, 04:03 PM

I work about 5 min's from there, next time your gonna play PM me and I might be able to halp ya out.

Martin2D
10-14-2003, 04:33 PM
I meant I'm pretty sure they're alright.

Will Wood
10-14-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Dayspring
If you're not close to Jersey City (PBX Store) I or Tunaman would be happy to look at the gun for you.
Tunaman or I :D:D

rabidchihauhau
10-15-2003, 09:24 AM
I think that the point which is being insufficiently stressed here is the following:

Unlike spyders and other over/under semis, the o-rings in a mag are CRITICAL.

We're not talking about a bolt o-ring - or even a cup seal leaking that would cause some minor drop off in performance. We're talking about the heart of the gun system (on/off assembly) and yes, while its 'just an o-ring', its importance is much greater with a 'mag.

The other thing that ought to be said is that if you want to check performance of the marker, you first have to bring it back to stock components.

I know that AGD made valves for Smart Parts for a while (smart mag) - but I'm not sure what the warranty coverage on those is or was. Someone here ought to be able to answer that question.

I'd see if I could borrow a valve (standard), and put it in the body. Performance of this will tell you if you are having issues with the rail (they can warp), your sear, grip frame and body tube.

If everything works just fine with the standard valve, then you are probably dealing with seal issues.

athomas
10-15-2003, 09:42 AM
Well, the leak can probably be fixed by using a smaller carrier size or removing a shim from the level 10 setup.

What performance issues are you having? Explain so we can understand your concerns and possibly offer a suggestion to make it better.

cphilip
10-15-2003, 10:46 AM
First thing I ever do with a older used mag is replace all the O rings and the reg seat. Just to get a point of reference. And oil the piss out them. This makes me look at everthing in the marker. On/off Assembly and all.And I measure the on off pin to see it its in spec. Then I measure the sear rod and make sure its to spec and its pin is floating freely and its edges are not overly worn or chewed. Same thing on the bolt. Stock one with good bumper no raw edges. Then I confirm the rail busing is in there. Then I confirm the input air is sufficent.... and THEN I start messing with the Power Tube Spacers and or level 10 set up.

MinimagRockin'
10-15-2003, 12:47 PM
The guys telling you to replace the orings are totally correct. Buy an automag parts kit and just replace every oring in the gun that you can. I bought a well used minimag off ebay and it never performed super well until I finally wen't out and changed the orings, that changed everything. Also mags don't run good on co2 so if you're using that try to go HPA.

Archangel Kid
10-15-2003, 02:13 PM
when I had my mag, and it leaked down the barrel. I changed the Power Tube oring and it worked fine, but this wasn't a small leak this was a large leak.