PDA

View Full Version : Is this pipe kit I just bought messed up, or all they all like this?

Mossman
10-15-2003, 11:35 PM
Hey guys, need some info from anyone with evil pipe experience.

I just bought a cocker pipe for a good price, and i got it and all seems well. here's the thing. When I screw any back into the front, and look down the back of the barrel (the direction the ball would travel), I see a very large and present gap. It's not the same as looking in the front of a freak or other stepped bore barrel and seeing a smaller tube at the back, there seems to be a gap between the bore section of the back and front. I have no idea how big it is but i'd guesstimate at 1/32" or so, but I know that's plenty to throw off a barrel.

There doesn't seem to be any damage to the tip or back, and I couldn't imagine any normal damage doing that. I tried all the backs, with and without o-rings, and they all do the same thing.

I tried to take pics but I couldn't really get them to come out.

ANyhow, folkss, when looking down the barrel, from the back, of your assembled pipe barrels, is there a noticable gap between the front and backs, or no?

Thanks a ton
-Sam

Carbon
10-15-2003, 11:40 PM
Yeah i think thats how they are made. Mine is like that. The tip is bored just a bit bigger then all the backs.

Evil Bob
10-15-2003, 11:40 PM
That was the first thing I noticed when I first saw them at the shop, I mentioned it to the guy behind the counter, he called Evil tech support. Get this... that gap is there by design, Evil claims it helps reduce turbulance on the ball. It may, it may not, either way its a good shooting barrel.

-Evil Bob

Bulldog
10-15-2003, 11:42 PM
I own a pipe, and noticed what your talking about. Most of em are like it. I called PMI, and they said when they first noticed it they cut one open and found the issue to be an "optical illusion" and no gap was visable. Haven't really had a performance issue so...?

Evil claims it helps reduce turbulance on the ball Great...

Evil Bob
10-15-2003, 11:47 PM
It's not an optical illusion, just use a dental probe and you can feel the gap, it's very real.

-Evil Bob

Tunaman
10-16-2003, 05:25 AM
Thats cause its a piece of crap.

MoBiLe
10-16-2003, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by Tunaman
Thats cause its a piece of crap.
:p lol
so whats a good barrel kit?:confused:

SkyBoySurfer
10-16-2003, 06:34 AM
The ones made by the germans...ohh i mean nazi's

=P

well they do...

but for a cocker....I love the boomsticks...they have always shot well for me

as for mags the AA SS are by far the best....At least in my expreance.

Muzikman
10-16-2003, 06:42 AM
The PowerLyte kit is the only way to go if you are the barrel "kit" type person. Personally I like one piece heavy barrels (AKA, BOA, Palmer, any thing brass).

dansim
10-16-2003, 07:02 AM
agreed the scepter is the h4x

beefstew
10-16-2003, 07:24 AM
i love my piper moss. Shoots great both ways.

-=Squid=-
10-16-2003, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by Tunaman
Thats cause its a piece of crap. I would have gotten owned if I said that.

pbcustom98
10-16-2003, 07:58 AM
Squid..no one will mess with Tunaman, since hes got the hookups with AGD stuff...;)

and i have to check out my pipe kit tonight...i havent noticed any gap, and ill see if i can get any pics if there is a gap..

Daniel

AngelBoy
10-16-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by -=Squid=-
I would have gotten owned if I said that.

This is true.

Skoad
10-16-2003, 09:00 AM
my pipe is like that also....i just played with it and it shot fine so no complaints here ;)

funkmunky56
10-16-2003, 09:45 AM
"there by design", eh? that's hilarious. Cuz the first batches of the Evil Pipe kits that came out all had that gap, and when you'd rotate the barrel in your hand while looking down it (back to front) you could see the gap move with you, like it wasn't quite even. and now, with the new batches, there's no gap! Hmmmmmmm...

...sounds like PMI/Evil was trying to spin doctor a poorly quality-controlled batch of product by claiming it was a "FEATURE", not a bug... Microsoft Sty-leee.

and, as Tuna said, it is a piece of crap. A poorly designed, chintzy piece of crap with half-assed pre-anno polishing and a swelling at the middle joint that doesn't really look good on any marker. Well, cept maybe the Omen, but we're not gonna go there, are we?

My personal barrel kit preference flips between the J&J Edge kit (which always has and always WILL be a top notch, high quality product with an emphasis on function over asthetics) and my new Empire kit. it's simple, has a lot of pieces in interesting bore sizes, and is machined pretty darn well. And it looks good with my black ULE.

I don't like insert kits. solid back kits like the Edge, Empire, CP (Another good one), ACI Phat, etc., are definitely the way to go, cuz you never have to worry about bent inserts, chafed o-rings throwing off alignment, etc.

my opinion. --Dave

paintballbeaver
10-16-2003, 01:42 PM
yeah pipe kits are quite a bit out of tolerance colin at lapco (the owner) measured them and there almost 40 thousants off the correct bore. there a mass marketed barrel kit what can you expect, get a cp or sceptor kit if you want a good barrel kit

DONT BUY THE HYPE :)

trev_pbller
10-16-2003, 02:15 PM
Yep, Tuna's got connections with other people besides AGD in Joisey :D Haven't gotten my Scepter yet, that I got from Tuna :) with my gun, but have heard great things about it. Moss, you ever end up selling the x body to CM, j/w because I saw it up for sale a few days after you said it was gone.

Trev

Hexis
10-16-2003, 03:34 PM
You guys are all missing out. The Titanium Longbow is flawless.

MayAMonkeyBeYourPinata
10-16-2003, 05:54 PM
barrel kits are overated just get a large bore ultralight and you are set

Mossman
10-16-2003, 06:01 PM
I bought a stiffi for around 60 bucks, sold it for 80, and bought this pipe kit for 95. I couldn't resist.

Paint tests tomorrow...oh the suspense!

thanks for all the answers guys, feature my ***, if i have any trouble I'll be cussing out PMI til they give me a new tip that works, or if the fix was in the backs, replace it.

Eh.

rtslave
10-16-2003, 06:05 PM
I love my PIPE, It's super light and very accurate; as far a being a massed produced piece of crap with poor quality control, most of you were the first ones to pipe up about how AGD couldn't QC the ULE body detents and how we should just add the extra oring and take one for the team. If you buy a product when it first comes out you got to expect some stuff not to be perfect. And by the way my PIPE looks sweet on my RTpro.

lew
10-16-2003, 06:30 PM
[QUOTE]My personal barrel kit preference flips between the J&J Edge kit (which always has and always WILL be a top notch, high quality product with an emphasis on function over asthetics) and my new Empire kit. it's simple, has a lot of pieces in interesting bore sizes, and is machined pretty darn well. And it looks good with my black ULE.[QUOTE]

Agreed. The Edge is my favorite. I will reccomend this kit to anyone.

jayloo
10-16-2003, 06:43 PM
All I can say is my pipe kit works great..no complaints here.

And it looks great on my mag.

A ultralite will be coming soon.

Bulldog
10-16-2003, 07:09 PM
It's not an optical illusion, just use a dental probe and you can feel the gap, it's very real.

I know, just saying what PMI told me. I did the same thing with a dental pic after I talked to him because I didn't buy it.

10-16-2003, 08:39 PM
The trick is to say somehthing like that and never come back to the thread. You can't be owned if you not their.

Like so....

My CP kit owns the crappy pipe kit. :eek: :D

wobbles82
10-16-2003, 09:33 PM
MEH I say, my stock barrel on my 99 rf cocker shoots further than any of your fake "paint to barrel match" junkers. ;) JP! The Pipe, IMO, isnt so bad, although I dont like the porting design, and have seen some tolerance problems. I plan on getting an Edge, because, like said before, I use a lot of commas, so ignore that, I have been using a J and J barrel kit on the GZ, and nothing but good! :D

abaez
10-16-2003, 11:47 PM
Mine has the gap shoots fine though.. one thing is that I've used the .686 back for almost every paint I've tried mostly zap/pmi/seconds.. I've even used the 683 back and I still don't have problems.. I'm thinking of selling it and just getting a 686 bore barrel but I dunno..