PDA

View Full Version : Speed Ball Clueless

rich4man
10-16-2003, 10:26 AM
I stopped playing paintball just as speed ball was becoming popular. I'm now trying to upgrade my mag and start playing again. I just have a few questions that don't make sense. Please note that these are honest questions and not an attempt to spark a speed ball vs woods ball debate.

Big inflatable shapes ARE bunkers?

Poking your barrel around a bunker and shooting OVER 1,000 paintballs a game is playing tight?

Somebody with an expensive mouse click shoot by wire paintball gun that can shoot ridiculously fast IS skilled?

Dayspring
10-16-2003, 10:36 AM
Yes.

No. Playing tight means that you are physically close to the bunker.

No. That's just a fast trigger finger. If you don't have skill to back it up, what good are you?

Originally posted by rich4man

Poking your barrel around a bunker and shooting OVER 1,000 paintballs a game is playing tight?

Somebody with an expensive mouse click shoot by wire paintball gun that can shoot ridiculously fast IS skilled?

~WarpedRT#2~
10-16-2003, 10:54 AM
I think he is being sarcastic about his questions. Yeah, I know. People shooting insanely fast doesnt cover up for lack of skill. Sooner or later, people find out that you suck.

If you can pull the trigger fast, but arent a good player, you do have some value. You basicaly empty hopper after hopper every game. That will keep heads down, but the true way to see if the player has skill, would be if he was the last one left on his team, and he could defend himself.

nerobro
10-16-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by rich4man

First, anything you can hide behind is a bunker. :-) I'll take cover however I can get it.

Seccond, playing tight is "loving your bunker" Or "humping your bunker" Being close means the angles that other players can shoot you from are reduced. With woodsball, and larger fields, playing back was the key. In fact, that's a skill that a lot of players have lost. They don't know how to step back from the bunker ;-)

Third, Rate of fire does not make a player skilled. It can be a usefull tool mind you, but it does not make or break the player. Some of the best teams I've watched play (x-ball, woods ball, speedball or whatever) don't have the fastest shooting players, and more often than not, shoot slower.

For example. Bam took skyball this year. There were teams out there with 10-12 pods on their back players. Bam all left the line with 3-4pods on their back. They shot signifigantly less, and still won. They used their paint effectively, and hit what they shot at.

Ignore the hype. Play the game.

ERut
10-16-2003, 11:50 AM
Honest questions:rolleyes:

rich4man
10-16-2003, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Here are two more.

Sweet spotting is shooting at a location where you think a player will be.

Bunkering is pinning someone behind a bunker and them eliminating them.

Dayspring
10-16-2003, 12:47 PM
Sweetspotting... That can be taken different ways. What you're talking about is snap-shooting/laning.

Sweetspotting usually means that you are hitting that certain spot on a gun that allows it to hit a high ROF.

Bunkering- essentially.

ERut
10-16-2003, 05:15 PM
Laning= shooting down a "lane" where you think someone will run through so that they run right into your balls, instead of trying to shoot them while your both running. Doesn't really happen too much in rec play.

elpimpo
10-16-2003, 08:06 PM
bunkering is when someones in a bunker and u shoot them from the same bunker or in the general vacinity

Jeffy-CanCon
10-16-2003, 08:55 PM
In Canadian English, "bunkering" is the act of running up to or past a bunker and shooting the player that is using it for cover.

There is a bit of smack-talk to the term, because the act requires that you take them by surprise in order to be successful. Also, geting bunkered can be painful, since t typically involves multiple hits at extremely close range.

elpimpo
10-16-2003, 09:08 PM
what do u call going over the top on someone

nerobro
10-17-2003, 10:49 AM
that's still getting bunkered.

Aother term for bunkering. Mugging.

JEDI
10-17-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Jeffy-CanCon
In Canadian English, "bunkering" is the act of running up to or past a bunker and shooting the player that is using it for cover.

There is a bit of smack-talk to the term, because the act requires that you take them by surprise in order to be successful. Also, geting bunkered can be painful, since t typically involves multiple hits at extremely close range.

^^Thats basically your best explaination of bunkering.^^

-Rate of fire has nothing to do with skill. If someone dumped six hoppers of paint on the tapeline side of my bunker, I would simply disregard that side and allow him to waste his paint. He is basically taking himself out of the game. As long as I hear that paint hitting, I don't even worry about him.

~WarpedRT#2~
10-17-2003, 01:11 PM
Mugging! I like it!