PDA

View Full Version : Quick threading question (Conquest onto PMI bottle)

LudavicoSoldier
10-17-2003, 08:19 AM
I removed the PE screw in reg with my new Rigid strap wrench, and am putting a brand new Conquest reg on the bottle. The threads are the same, of course. I can thread the reg on about half the way by hand. I am meeting some resistance due to gunk on the bottle threads. I am going to try to clean it off with a dental pick, BUT should I be meeting this much resistance in general when it comes to threading a reg onto a bottle? Should I be able to thread it all the way down by hand, or should I use the strap wrench to tighten it? Ideas? Opinions? And please dont tell me that I should go have Boston Paintball do it. I am very saavy when it comes to tinkering, but have simply never had the need to swap a reg off a bottle.

luke
10-17-2003, 09:03 AM
Defiantly clean those threads first. (I would use a wire wheel on a grinder or a wire brush to clean the threads.)

Look at the threads to see if they are tapered, if they are, that's the reason for the "resistance". Tapered threads will get tighter the farther they get from the end.

I believe you also need to use some kind of thread lock.

Thordic
10-17-2003, 09:35 AM
Just hand-tighten it. There's no need to loctite on the threads, most people who try to loctite a tank to a reg themselves just mess it up anyway.

As long as the tank is screwed on all the way when you fill it, the pressure will keep the tank locked on to the reg.

My Dynaflow, when empty, will easily screw off the reg with only hand pressure. When full, you couldn't budge the thing. Tons of pro players who have to fly a lot keep their tanks like this to avoid problems at airports (Bill Mills himself does this). Its not really a problem.

Prezents
10-17-2003, 09:38 AM
What you are cleaning off is lock tight "thread lock" It is best to completely remove all the old off both surfaces and then apply fresh lock tight to the regulator threads.

LudavicoSoldier
10-17-2003, 09:42 AM
I know that the residue is thread lock (LocTite or otherwise). I will clean it up when I get home, then try to re-screw the reg on. On a similar note, when I removed the screw in reg, I definatly needed to crank on it with the strap wrench. Bulging Biceps to the rescue!

Mossman
10-17-2003, 02:03 PM
dont force it on! Well, seperate story, but I have a PMI 68/3k sitting in my drawer for a year now, because I tried to get the reg off the bottle and 1/2 way screwing it OFF, the thing seized up and nothing I can do can get it off. I sent to PMI, they said they couldnt fix it cuz the bottle needed to be hydroed, it had a 6 month old hydro stamp on it. Idiots...

anyhow i got pissed and threw it in my junk drawer where it sits right now.

Deep Sixx
10-17-2003, 03:13 PM
Thoroughly clean and inspect the threads... you might want to have this done professionally and properly.

When reassembling it, DO NOT use any type of thread locker on the tank or the reg. Put a bit of white lithium grease or Dow33 on the threads, but that's it. Screw the reg onto the bottle hand tight then give it a gentle tightening with a strap wrench. Thread locker and aluminum do not mix under high pressure. Hand tighten only. You think you've got resistance now? When you've got 4500psi in the bottle, you'll never unscrew it.

sixx