PDA

View Full Version : impulse feed neck problem

hhomes
10-19-2003, 04:42 PM
I'm not sure what im doing wrong but isn't the feed neck for an impulse to screw right out? i tried very hard and it wont come out. do i need to take out ne thing? o rsomething i dunno...try to help heh :)

CoolHand
10-19-2003, 06:55 PM
It depends on how old your Imp is.

If it is not newer than a 2k, you could have a pressed/glued feedneck.

If it is a 2k1 or newer, it is indeed threaded, and can be removed. The problem is that SP, in their infinit wisdom decided to use red loctite on every size and kind of threaded fastener on their markers. (Ever wonder why they make so many grades of the stuff? So you don't have to use red on #6 screws, that's why.)

Needless to say, this makes it difficult to disassemble things when the time comes, unless you use some simple anti-loctite tactics.

Anti-Loctite Rule #1 - Loctite hates heat.

Use a Bic lighter, or a small propane torch to gently heat the neck body interface until it is approx. 120-130 Deg F (just warm to the touch). Now wrap the feed neck in thick rubber (at least 1/8" thick), and grab it with a pair of chanel locks. Turn it counterclockwise (when looking from above). If it won't move, heat it some more, but stop when you can just barely stand to touch it. Any hotter than that, and you may scortch your ano. As soon as it is that hot, turn out the feed neck with the rubber and channel locks.

Anti-Loctite Rule #2 - Even with heat, you will still need to employ Archemedies' best friend - leverage.

Loctite breaks down at 170 or 180 deg F, so once you can't stand to touch it anymore, you should have mostly killed the loctite. It will still take a fair amount of grunting to take it apart, but it will be much easier.

Go slow, and be careful. This will work. I have removed at least two dozen feednecks like this, and have never damaged a body or a feedneck.

Have fun, but be safe, what with all the fire and heat and grunting and all. :D

Later

hhomes
10-19-2003, 08:38 PM
thx man ill try it :)...pisses me off its so hard tho...loctite on the feedneck sounds pretty pointless :rolleyes: