PDA

View Full Version : what do you think of the A-5?

Brak
10-19-2003, 08:44 PM
i just ordered one! i got an A-5, double trigger, and 8 inch lapco bigshot, all for under $300 shipped, NEW. im not sold on the whole tippmann R/T thing, and i didnt wanna drop a lot of cash on the electronic dealy, and i dont find a need to use it, im nasty enough already...

i bought this because i dont play as much as i used to and i have no need for a gun like my intimidator (by the way, i still have to sell my 68/45 raptor rex if anyones interested!). i still pretty much play woods and stuff, and i cant justify having a really high-end gun and nitro for just the way i play.

so, what does everyone think about this gun? im goin back to my roots again and hopefully ill whoop some arse with it

68 Mag
10-19-2003, 08:51 PM
I shot some air through the A5 RT in our store the other day. Man, will that thing fly! Then the manager, who has a far more developed finger than me, shot it and it sounded like one long roar until it emptied the tank.

If I had the spare cash, I'd get one.

Crimson_Turkey
10-19-2003, 09:05 PM
I love mine to DEATH! I wouldn't sell it for the world. The only real downside to it is consistancy. Get a palmer stablizer (the one for C02) and you will be happy.

By the way, you have an awesome barrel.

theraidenproject
10-19-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Brak
im not sold on the whole tippmann R/T thing
Why don't you jump off the purple, suede saddle of the golden tiger, and wake up and smell the dragon-herder's coffee. The RT rocks.

and i didnt wanna drop a lot of cash on the electronic dealy
haha, you said "dealy". First time I've heard anyone under 35 use that word.

(by the way, i still have to sell my 68/45 raptor rex if anyones interested!).
hold it for me, at least for 2 days, we might be able to work something out...

adam shannon
10-19-2003, 10:37 PM
as far as mechanical blowbacks go tippmann makes the best...and supports their products as well...maybe even better than agd, yeah i said that.

i will always always have a backup backup backup tippmann...and have since '88.

i have shot an a-5. they are as robust as anything tippmann has made...with the small exception of the plastic parts. they save on weight...but i miss that solid cast aluminum feel that the 98 has.

the tippmann rt is a good inexpensive system to get higher rates of fire when tuned in properly...and with the cyclone the marker will feed as fast as you can shoot it.

a friend of mine had an a5 with the electric frame. i dont recomend it. if used propperly you wont have any problems...but if you sit there ripping a 20oz tank in one long burst on F/A, then refill and do it a dozen more times just to hear the sound you will wear the seer down really quick. sure it can do it and it sounds great...but the marker isnt designed for that kind of constant sustained abuse.

overall great marker for rec play when combined with a good barrel. a tad bit more care is required than with a 98, but if the marker is used as intended you will be very happy.

Carbon
10-19-2003, 11:37 PM
Other than tippman guns being uber tough, they have excellent customer service. Yes they are robust and have more "felt" kick that some other guns, but that is the cost of reliability. Furhermore, m98s and a5's have a much heavier hammer that most if not all blowbacks. This increases gas consumption, but its definitely worth it.

breg
10-19-2003, 11:58 PM
I like the A-5, but there are some things about it that I don't like. Mostly is the fact that the hopper sists one the right side of it. If it had a version of it on the left side, it would be a bit better.

Albinonewt
10-20-2003, 06:07 AM
My buddy love his A-5. It's a good solid marker, and tough as nails. We're considering running it over with the truck just to see if it can take it. He's got $20 that says it can (we'll take the cyclone off first).

But he runs his with Nitro, says it makes a big difference to the CO2.

Brak
10-20-2003, 06:59 AM
thanks guys (except for raiden haha), i hope it gets here soon, im gonna stay home from school the day after i get it so i can mess with it all day!

i still dont think i NEED the R/T, i got a double trigger, and im pretty crafty with one, muahahaha....im an idiot. but if the problem of my ROF arises, i know now to pick one up instead of the electronic kit. im going to buy 2 Co2 tanks, like one 20 oz and one 9 oz just in case its TOO big of a gas hog for a day of play. thanks for the help, and i think ill write a full review after i play with it this weekend. im crazy like that.

68Classic
10-20-2003, 02:34 PM
I've shot my friends, and I thought it was going to be just a regular old tippman. But I was wrong, its awesome. I think its one of the best guns out, though it needs some upgrades.

Torbo
10-20-2003, 02:38 PM
i really like them. If i ever start playing alot of woods again, ill definalty get one

AcemanPB
10-20-2003, 03:42 PM
im going to buy 2 Co2 tanks, like one 20 oz and one 9 oz just in case its TOO big of a gas hog for a day of play. thanks for the help, and i think ill write a full review after i play with it this weekend. im crazy like that.

Hell If your going with CO2 I would just buy 4-5 20oz tanks. This works out great if you don't play at an offical "field" with a fill station. Since CO2 tanks are like 15-18 dollars a piece it's hard not to own more than one.

bryceeden
10-21-2003, 07:44 AM
I like the A-5, and the double trigger isn't too hard to walk(I would get the response though).

dre1919
10-21-2003, 08:30 AM
I have a teammate who has one, it's completely pimped out, and he loves it.

Big_Chops
10-21-2003, 10:34 PM
i used to have one and i hated it. mine never had problems and it was banged around a lot and still didnt break. and i washed my with a hose and still functioned at 100%

Woodsmen
10-21-2003, 11:27 PM
Ive had mine for almost a year now and havent chopped a single ball, not one. Highly recommend gettin the flatline barrel. Im not in to snipers and all but if there was such a thing this would be the gun for it. Response trigger is bullet proof. I just got an e-grip this week, I'll let ya know how it turns out. By the way, the A-5 is designed for CO2, anything else might screw it up unless u get the right upgrades. just a tip.

paintballfeign
10-21-2003, 11:52 PM
why does everybody prefer the rt over the electric trigger? i was thinking of getting an electric trigger but after reading this thread everybody seem to think the rt is better. please tell me which is better and yes the a5 is awesome.

cheetah256
10-22-2003, 12:26 AM
the RT is good for high rates of fire, and it appeals to the rec baller mentality. no batteries at all in the gun. you don't need to feed your revvy two batteries, then your gun a third. it all runs completely off of pneumatics.

brak: if you're irc competent, come check out the tippmann chat. irc.gamesnet.net #tippmann. theres quite a few people who hang out there.

adam shannon
10-22-2003, 08:39 AM
the only problem ive seen first hand with the e-grip is misuse leading to problems. as i hinted at before a friend of mine would blow thru 20oz tanks on FA just to hear the racket it made...this prematurely wore down the sear and caused bolt damage. this isnt a design fault in the marker...its plain and simple damage caused by user foolishness and stupidity. the marker simply wasnt designed to be abused like this continuously. as a side note tippmann still fixed it for free!

the e-grip when used responsibly is a great upgrade, but you do need batteries. the rt is a simple way to get higher rates of fire with no batteries...and its a cheap mod.

trxtr
10-22-2003, 06:32 PM
Run that beast on liquid CO2 (siphon tank) and you'll get no shoot down no matter the weather or your rate of fire. It's one of the lost secrets of paintball thanx to over priced nitro systems. The RT is simply BADA$$!! Better than MAGS RT IMHO. oh and no batteries, ofcourse, so if you want to dive thru a swamp you can with no worries for your marker. It'll still shoot.

adam shannon
10-22-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by trxtr
Run that beast on liquid CO2 (siphon tank) and you'll get no shoot down no matter the weather or your rate of fire. It's one of the lost secrets of paintball thanx to over priced nitro systems. The RT is simply BADA$$!! Better than MAGS RT IMHO. oh and no batteries, ofcourse, so if you want to dive thru a swamp you can with no worries for your marker. It'll still shoot.

all good valid points....except the mag rt valve isnt really supposed to be full auto. its supposed to give a slightly higher rate of fire ie. return the trigger faster. the tippmann rt may be better if teh possibility of sustained full auto or fa bursts is what you mean by better. although the sweet spotting is possible by tweaking input pressure, and sosmetimes changing the trigger rod length and on/off pin length on a mag rt...that wasnt the intent of the valve, nor in the true spirit of "RT" for that matter.

UltimatePaintballer
10-22-2003, 07:52 PM
i used one when my cocker wasn't working. i gotsta say its very lightweight and compact! i like it but wouldn't buy one