PDA

View Full Version : Who here has tried to fly or make a parachute?

PyRo
10-21-2003, 04:03 PM
Just curious as to how many people jumped off some high place thinking that they could fly, or that a garbage bag would carry them saftley down. I tried it about 4ft off a porch, but I know people who have jummped off roofs and all kinds of things.

Brak
10-21-2003, 04:19 PM
i tried 2 umbrellas once. i had one umbrella in each hand, and i jumped off a tree. both umbrellas got turned inside out and i hurt my legs. nothing bad, but i think i was 8 (not sure) and it was a good 6 feet off the ground, maybe more. i was going to do it off my deck, but i tested it with a stretch armstrong first and he didnt survive.

needless to say i was a pretty "cavalier" kid. i did stupid stuff like that all the time. 50+ stitches im in my teens is evidence of me being pretty crazy (24 of which are in my head)

dansim
10-21-2003, 05:52 PM
i tried once with a garbage can lid because of that one cartoon with the blobs, teh rhino that shoots things out of his horn and the barbarin that only had a sheild he used to glide with it by jumpiong off things so i tried too, didnt work, eventually the character stopped doing it because parents were sending in complaints lol. i almost had it(in my head neway)

Bad_Dog
10-21-2003, 06:53 PM
when I was like 9 my dad and sister did alot of camping, and our tent (one of those dome shaped ones) got a hole in it. Well when my dad threw it away, I went through the garbage and pulled out the rainproof cover.... it looked like a parachute!.... I tied the strings together so I could hold them in my hands, and put a backpack on (I didnt know what the backpack was for) and decided to jump off the top of our swingset. ok, our swingset wasnt the highest place to jump off, nor the safest toy to play with. It consisted of a bunch of rivited steel pipes, which easily cought fingers, hair, clothing and anything else that was snaggable. When I took the plunge the "parachute" which I just let drape over my back, cought on a rivit on the top cross beam, and I swung down and hit my back against the ladder that wasadjacent to the slide. The ropes ran about 2 feet short of the ground from the snagged parachute so they were simotanoiusley ripped from my hands (which gave me some `purdy rope burns). All together I wasnt injured badly, just enough to make me cry and run to my mommy:D :D

Ultimator
10-21-2003, 06:59 PM
When I was about 13 I held about 4 garbage bags in my hands and jumped off my roof. Didn't work though ... tried it about 4 times too lol.

xmetal2001
10-21-2003, 07:07 PM
I was at the beach with one of my friends and in the middle of the night a HUGE storm came, I could barely stand due to winds.

So we decided to make a human kite.

We took a bunch of bedsheets, tied them to our ankles and held the corners with our hands and went flying squirrel style.

The only problem was at 3:30 AM in very painful rain we couldn't think of a way to get upwards lift and just ended up flying backwards and tumbling across the deck.

It was special.

btw, my "friend" was Warewolf50 here on AO.

PyRo
10-21-2003, 07:15 PM
Tie a rope something heavy, and just hole onto it, then get the sheet into the wind :)

AFRaven
10-21-2003, 07:19 PM
When I was about 8 I got the idea to attempt to put cardboard wings on my bike and ride down a hill. I had Bernoulli's Principle in mind, but I was ridiculed so badly, I never even tried to make the wings, let alone put them on my bike. It seemed like a good idea at the time :rolleyes:

AFRaven
10-21-2003, 07:26 PM
Heres something I want to try though:

http://www.seattlesatellite.com/tom/video/tarping.html

Matt_mg
10-21-2003, 07:40 PM
Tarping with roller blades might be really cool... *might

PyRo
10-21-2003, 08:17 PM
With a little modification to that tarp, they very well may have been able to get airborn for a few seconts.

Restola
10-21-2003, 10:29 PM
You guys should try a plane.

They actually work :)

PyRo
10-21-2003, 10:34 PM
But they are expensive and much less original than a huge tarp

c4BC
10-21-2003, 11:27 PM
yup seen it before wasn't pretty when my friends tried to fly but it was hilarious because i knew it wasn't going work and i figured there Iq before they hit the ground.
Ha still makes me chuckle.

gamarada717
10-22-2003, 12:12 AM
Tie a trashbag onto a bear, light it on fire and send him off the roof! Videotape it too.:)

PyRo
10-22-2003, 01:43 AM
While interesting your idea is flawed. That bag would melt so incredibly quickly it would just fall. Although the idea of sticking rocket engines in a flaming or non-flaming bear is being considered. Possibly a tinfoil parachute would withstand the heat long enough, and make the ropes out of metal fishing line stuff.

jwren00
10-22-2003, 01:49 AM
have you guys ever made a zod???

tie a trash bag by one end to something outdoors about 8 feet off the ground, let it hang down. light the bottom with the lighter, and watch what happens!!! it is very very cool, and makes a really sweet noise.

PyRo
10-22-2003, 08:40 AM
I shall have to try this.

JEDI
10-22-2003, 12:12 PM
"Hey kid... you wanna fly? I got something that'll really make you high"

strange anti-drug commercial I seem to remember.

Eric Cartman
10-22-2003, 01:17 PM
Who here has tried to fly or make a parachute?
Probably a few dead or seriously injured people who are therefore unable to reply to this thread.:D

SlipknotX556
10-22-2003, 03:42 PM
When I was 12 and living in the ghetto, I jumped off a tree with a plastic bag and tried to make it a parachute.

GtB188
10-22-2003, 09:19 PM
When I was about 6, there wa a tree in my back-yard. It is only about 8 feet high, but when your small, its a long way.

6 year old + 8 feet high jump + the kid thinking hes superman so he could fly = hurt 6 year old...

Lets just say I learned my lesson...

personman
10-22-2003, 09:56 PM
Oh MAN tarping looks like so much fun, I would so do that if it was windy around here, but it never gets windy :(

dansim
10-22-2003, 11:45 PM
id like to go tarping on a bike or in a shopping cart

PyRo
10-22-2003, 11:52 PM
Id like to go tarping on a boat. Oh, wait a secont :)

Some interesting things can definatly be done with a large tarp, next big windstorm we have ill have vids:)

Will Wood
10-23-2003, 10:22 AM
I've never tried flying, but I've learned I can't fly lol.

Fell out of a tree. Landed on a rock. Cracked my head open. That's why I'm retarted now.