PDA

View Full Version : ULE Feedneck Lock tited on?!?!?!?!

Bonx0007
10-22-2003, 10:13 PM
Why is the AGD feedneck on ULE bodies RED Lock tited on?

I work with car repairs all day and we try to avoid heating up aluminum as much as possible.

So if I wanted to change my feed neck, I have the potential of doing dmg to my ule body. This doesn't make any sense.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to change out feed necks?
:confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

ps wouldn't it make sense to blue lock tite them on so the are somewhat removable. Red lock tite makes the ule body a solid body of aluminum.

grumble grumble...

68magOwner
10-22-2003, 10:17 PM
A strap wrench, people have had this problem before

BlackVCG
10-22-2003, 10:21 PM
I agree 100%.

Red-Loctite is a poor choice for holding down the ULE feedneck. I realize that probably 1/5th or less of the people out there will take the feedneck off, but regardless it needs to be removable. Blue-Loctite is the best option since it will still keep it from coming loose under normal use, but be easily removable under a decent amount of force without heating required.

That said, I have been able to get the feednecks off with a "Grip Wrench" rubber strap wrench.

jdaniels
10-22-2003, 11:24 PM
for you guys that heat up the part to get it off. Have you thought about boiling water. If you have forget this post. If not i came up with that idea.

RoadDawg
10-23-2003, 12:47 AM
I was wondering why they are so tough to remove.

Gadget
10-23-2003, 03:01 AM
Like others have said, I used one of the big 'Boa Constrictor' rubber strap wrenches to get mine off - took a LOT of torque and then BANG!, it made a very nasty snapping noise.

Thought I'd broken something - still needed a lot of effort to unscrew even after having broken the seal, but came off fine and the threads on both neck and body were undamaged.

nippinout
10-23-2003, 03:07 AM
I like to use some hot tap water when I am dealing with the evil red stuff. Won't get as hot as a hair dryer. AGD also uses the red stuff on there fittings don't they? I know my RT Pro had red stuff on the air fittings from the factory. My family and friends always give me weird looks because I go into the bathroom with shop goggles and metal tubes. :eek:

Bonx0007
10-23-2003, 09:56 AM
I suppose grip wrench it is....I hope it doesn't dmg the body...:rolleyes:

LudavicoSoldier
10-23-2003, 10:08 AM
I also had to use a strap wrench to remove the feed neck. Rigid makes a nice one that you can get for ~$21.00 at Home Despot. It did make quite a bang when the locktite finally gave, I thought I stripped the threads at first.

-Dan

sps16
10-23-2003, 12:00 PM
its actually the blue idustrial strength loctite

Thordic
10-23-2003, 12:34 PM
I managed to break a strap wrench trying to get the damn thing off. I'll give it another shot when I get the strap wrench replaced.

BlackVCG
10-23-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by sps16
its actually the blue idustrial strength loctite

Not on any of the ULE bodies of which I've taken the feed neck off. All have been threaded in with Loctite 271 - High Strength.

As for boiling water, it's not going to do much other than make the body hot so you have to put a towel around it when you hold onto it to unscrew the feed neck. The "break-point" of Loctite High Strength is 500 degrees Fahrenheit.

Thordic
10-23-2003, 01:04 PM
Well water boils around 210, so boil it two and a half times!!!

:)

jdaniels
10-23-2003, 04:13 PM
havent used it on this body but i have used it to undo loctite

GT
11-12-2003, 11:12 PM
just for feedneck safety kids.

Have a hopper in the feedtube and then bust out the strap wrench.