PDA

View Full Version : Guitar ???

Lone Wolf2
10-23-2003, 07:11 PM
Ok,ever since i saw school of rock,ive wanted to start playin guitar(yea i know,kinda weird)So i was wondering what would be the best stuff to start out with,Im lookin to play either a bass or an electric,so any help will be appreciated.

BajaBoy
10-23-2003, 07:41 PM
i cant give you much help, but its a great thing to take up. Im glad i did...

i play 6string

-=Squid=-
10-23-2003, 11:58 PM
I dont see why everybody insits on starting out electric (wanna just jump up and be superstars I guess :rolleyes: ) but I would recomend that if you want to learn anything like that to start out on acoustic...

RetroEclipseMan
10-24-2003, 12:17 AM
I honestly don't see why it really matters if you start on acoustic or electric. Sure it's easier to sound better on an electric but you still have to learn the basics in order to really play well. It's not like someone's going to pick up an electric and sound awsome their first time.

-=Squid=-
10-24-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by RetroEclipseMan
I honestly don't see why it really matters if you start on acoustic or electric. Sure it's easier to sound better on an electric but you still have to learn the basics in order to really play well. It's not like someone's going to pick up an electric and sound awsome their first time. Exactly, but people think they will ;) Personally, I wouldnt ever recommend starting on electric over acoustic. Its just not right...

gimp
10-24-2003, 12:27 AM
This same exact thread comes up every couple of weeks. I like ibanez guitars, so I recommend an Ibanez. They make great electric guitars and basses. Most people will say fender, but I never really liked fender guitars (they are excellent quality though) :) Oh well, just personal preference I guess. If you want to start on an electric, then get an electric. Get what your going to play. I always wanted to play electric guitar, so that is what I bought when I started playing. If I had bought an acoustic, then I never would have played it. Whatever you do, don't go blowing a ton of money on a first guitar. You might be a wuss and decide you like playing the clarinet better or something.

Or, if you wanna be really cool, you could just buy a banjo.

sps16
10-24-2003, 12:44 AM
What kind of 4 string bass would you guys recommend for me trying to learn on?

Vex
10-24-2003, 03:24 AM
The kind that you like best. Don't go expensive, but don't go Wal-Mart brand either. Swing on by a Guitar Center or other local music shop and talk to some of the people there. They'll be able to help you find the right axe for you and your wallet.

Muzikman
10-24-2003, 07:58 AM
For starting out with your first guitar or bass I always suggest Squire. They are decent quality and very well priced.

mcveighr
10-24-2003, 09:44 AM
Start on an acoustic, youll find yourself playing better.

Beaver Creek is a cheap acoustic.

ICOM
10-24-2003, 01:01 PM
Never get a squire, never. If you want cheap good guitars go with ibanez or schs or even a good deal on a epi les paul for 250ish(good starters)

RetroEclipseMan
10-24-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by ICOM
Never get a squire, never. If you want cheap good guitars go with ibanez or schs or even a good deal on a epi les paul for 250ish(good starters)

I've only been playing for the past couple months but have been around guitars for quite a while but actually squires are getting better. My friend was just about to drop almost $700 on a true Fender Tele hollowbody when we dropped by this local shop and started talking with one of the guys in there. He handed him a squire telecaster custom that was nearly $500 less and it has amazing sound and this just isn't for a squire. I guess that squire has switched over to better CnC machines and now the necks are fitting better with the bodies which means more of a quality sound. Just something to think about.

As for basses I'd suggest Ibenez(that's what I'm buying next) Right now I'm borrowing my friend's OLP which is actually a very nice sounding bass for what he paid. Check those out as well.

gamarada717
10-24-2003, 03:50 PM
The reason that you want to start on acoustic is because the strings are a little bit farther off of the fret board. The result is stronger fingers, and when you pick up your first electric, it'll be so easy because you don't have to apply as much pressure. I wish I had started on acoustic....although I've kinda given up guitar all together, I suck.

personman
10-24-2003, 04:09 PM
I think that a classical guitar is the easiest to learn on, thats what we use in school because:
1. The strings are further apart than a steel string
2. There accoustic, so you learn how to get the right sound out of your guitar by manipulating your finger position
3. Stings are a bit easier to push down than a steelstring guitar
I defentally wouldnt start on an electric, because that doesnt really teach you how to get the right sound out of your guitar. Some people hide their lack of skill with distortion :p
I would say try to find a book, and learn out of it. Dont just screw around with tabs because you arent really learning how to play guitar. I have a very good teacher right now, I think he has been playing guitar for like 30+ years. He uses a book called H.O.T. (Hands on training) for first year guitar, by Nancy Lee Marsters. We are just now doing barre chords (pain in the butt!) I would get that book and take your time learning and absorbing the information. In our first 9 weeks of the class we are only on page 50 or so, just beginning barre chords..
If I were you I would get a classic (nylon string) guitar for as cheap as you can, and once you know you are interested in guitar, you can buy a nicer steelstring or electric or whatever. That is, of corse, if you are on a budget. My dad has always been very supportive of music, and he bought me an Ibanez Artwood-100 guitar, which is REALLY nice, and cost about 300 :D

FutureMagOwner
10-24-2003, 05:46 PM
ok i got a similar question.

i was thinking of buying an epiphone of some sort since if you buy it from their site it has a free amp(probably not a good one but still a free amp)

my brother already has an accoustic guitar i could use if i want and i occasionaly play my idea of what a chord is some times.

also anyone know where i can go to learn like a website or something

AllAmericanMag
10-24-2003, 06:39 PM
www.rondomusic.com <---Factory Direct = Cheap and Good Instruments

RetroEclipseMan
10-24-2003, 08:51 PM
check out www.ultimate-guitar.com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com) they got some pretty good info as well as a whole archive of tabs that are relatively decent. It's for bass and guitar.

ICOM
10-24-2003, 10:00 PM
guitarcenter.com has great prices. Store is right near me. If thats not the site then search for it.

ERut
10-24-2003, 10:13 PM
IMO, Ibanez makes the best low end guitars for the price. I also say start accoustic (steel string)because its harder to play. To get the sound you want you have to change what your doing, not fiddle with the amp. For example, it took me forever to learn how to do a barre chord right on my accoustic, but on an electric, pretty much anyone can do it the first try. Besides, the best thing about playing guitar is singing for girls, and that works much better with an accoustic!:cool:

As for learning base, I'd say just learn guitar first, and then you know how to play two insruments. Chris, you can come on down to guitar center with me and well mess around sometime.

sps16
10-24-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by ERut
IMO, As for learning base, I'd say just learn guitar first, and then you know how to play two insruments. Chris, you can come on down to guitar center with me and well mess around sometime.
its bass :) anywho i just want to learn something diff then the norm, i have no idea how to play it so i would be learning from the start, everybody plays the guitar but how many people play bass?

ERut
10-25-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by sps16

how many people play bass?

Everybody who plays guitar;)

bass... im retarded, seriously i know how to spell!

tg ur 1t
10-25-2003, 12:47 AM
my first guitar was a BC Rich Warlock from a pawn shop. I bartered the shop down to $120. It was in great shape and sounded good. I thought I was the best player ever and it looked so cool. I was such an idiot! Some things never change....