PDA

View Full Version : AO is going to have to have Banners

AGD
10-23-2003, 11:59 PM
AO,

After some considerable amount of thought we have decided that we have to get our products out there for the world to see in every way we can. Since magazine adds are still financially out of reach, we are forced to take advantage of the highest traffic postition we have and that is AO.

As you know we have purposely kept banner adds off the site but at this point we feel that has to change. We will only be showcasing our products and since I can't stand banners that jump around and try to get your attention (I have to read the forums too) we will be using tastefull graphics.

I hope you all understand that we spend money every month for you to have a fun, enjoyable place to hang out. In order to keep doing this we must recieve some tangible benefit in return.

Thanks for your understanding,

AGD

-=Squid=-
10-24-2003, 12:01 AM
Thats cool, everybody understands. However, it seems that you are getting more and more coverage lately. Newer AGD products are showing themselves in nearly every issue in PGI and APG etc for the last several months. In my view, things seem to be bringing themselves up lately...

Whoop whoop. Go AGD.

Cliffio
10-24-2003, 12:02 AM
im all for it

i would much rather have some banners than not having a fun place to post.

Cliff

atcer
10-24-2003, 12:04 AM
we just need to find us a nice shugga' momma!

LaW
10-24-2003, 12:04 AM
I think its a good idea

nuclear zombie
10-24-2003, 12:30 AM
As long as it's for AGD products then that is cool , but please no ads for the x10 camera ...:D

sps16
10-24-2003, 12:48 AM
oh crap this means i'm going to be buying even more agd stuff

jdev
10-24-2003, 12:52 AM
yea, get rid of that chick in the upper right hand corner.. what the hell is she doing there anyways..

bring on the useful banners!

:D

p.s. just kiddin capo ;)

USAF-Flyboy with a Mag
10-24-2003, 02:02 AM
Sounds fair to me. This is an AGD owned website, so I'd see nothing wrong with seeing AGD Products being advertised.

davidb
10-24-2003, 02:16 AM
Heck, I like this idea, even if it wasn't necessary! Somehow the idea of seeing a whole bunch of ads for AGD products is just not at all unpleasant, ya know? :)

If it actually has a tangible financial benefit, then hey, more power to you!

Added: nuclear zombie mentioned that it would be okay as long as the ads were for AGD products. Cool, cool, but why not open it up for ads from other companies for products that are paintball-related, but noncompetive with AGD? Like, say, an ad for the latest Halo, or the Profiler, or Scepter barrel kit? It's not like AO isn't a high-traffic place for them to advertise, is it? Not only that, but he could maybe sell ad space to Shartley, RogueFactor, Datapimp, and all of our other AO entrepreneurs, if they would go for it.

That way, AGD isn't left to sit back and speculate as to whether the site is worth the effort from a purely financial standpoint. They can see right in front of them, AO costs us X to maintain, and takes in Y from sale of ad space, plus any additional product sales from the space they use for their own advertising.

Tom, if it makes you feel any better, I can promise you that after I start getting paychecks from the Navy, I will be buying, at the very least, an RT Pro, if not an E or X Mag. If AO did not exist, this would likely not be so. I'm sure there are quite a few out there like me. I have no doubt that AO is worth the effort, in many ways.

(trips and falls off soapbox)

bornl33t
10-24-2003, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by AGD
AO,

After some considerable amount of thought we have decided that we have to get our products out there for the world to see in every way we can. Since magazine adds are still financially out of reach, we are forced to take advantage of the highest traffic postition we have and that is AO.

As you know we have purposely kept banner adds off the site but at this point we feel that has to change. We will only be showcasing our products and since I can't stand banners that jump around and try to get your attention (I have to read the forums too) we will be using tastefull graphics.

I hope you all understand that we spend money every month for you to have a fun, enjoyable place to hang out. In order to keep doing this we must recieve some tangible benefit in return.

Thanks for your understanding,

AGD

asside from the cheapest testing department in the world, the largest opinion base in paintball, all the free adds, graphix and slogans, the tons of homemade products with AGD logos that AGD eventually destributes and the tons and tons of tech support that AO takes off the air gun HQ..... yeah I see how there's no tangible benefit in return.

Actually I don't really care (as long as AO doesn't start with pop-ups), I just see no ones complained yet and I'm in a "handing-out" kinda mood. Just poking phun :D

bornl33t
10-24-2003, 05:03 AM
Originally posted by -=Squid=-
Thats cool, everybody understands. However, it seems that you are getting more and more coverage lately. Newer AGD products are showing themselves in nearly every issue in PGI and APG etc for the last several months. In my view, things seem to be bringing themselves up lately...

Whoop whoop. Go AGD. .

I though it was interesting to see mat black CP barrels going for 20$ BRAND new at my local store. When I asked they they are being marked down from 80$ to 20$ I was told that mag popularity just droped off the face of the earth??? huh? I had the sweetest gun on the field for 2 years running, one of the 2 emploiies at the store owns a mag. Heck, RP has a x-mag??? What am I missing? the ONLY high end guns hanging on the wall is a stock black matrix, a cocker of some sort and a speed angel. Personally I think over-under guns are butt ugly... and freaking tall, but eh what do I know...

Caffiend
10-24-2003, 05:04 AM
I have no problems with banners. Even if they aren't paintball related. I can click a few if it means AO stays up and running.

shartley
10-24-2003, 05:44 AM
I can fully understand about wanting more exposure…. But to me putting ads on AO for AGD products is like preaching to the choir. Sure, it is a good thing to do, but the real goal of any business should be getting more customers, not just selling to current ones.

While ads on AO may put the products more in people’s faces, it may not be the faces that most needs to be put in front of. Absolutely, do everything you can…. But I sure hope other means are still being looked at. Because in spite of what some think, AO and AGD are not as well known as people would like to think they are in the Big World.

RRfireblade
10-24-2003, 06:17 AM
I think it's fine as long as they're not "in your face" all the time.There seems to be quite a few "guests" on AO so you might as well help them find their way and save some of the wasted posts like "What's the site for the company that sells the ULE products?"
'Course it won't do to much for the "regulars" but I don't think it would hurt anything either.

Jay.

MantisMag
10-24-2003, 08:00 AM
advertising AGD products on AO? i don't know how useful that's going to be. you'll catch all the guests and infrequent visitors who aren't up to date on all the products. i don't know how many of those there are. all the regulars pretty much know about all the products so it really won't do much for us except give us more pretty pictures to look at. unless of course you run sales and advertise those. then of course AO would eat them up.

david made an interesting point. why not sell ad space to non-competitive products? i'm sure some of our dealers with custom products would like a way to reach all the members who missed the threads about their products. if tunaman had a tunamart banner that would cut down on all the people asking about where his store is. AGD gets a little income and makers of custom products for mags get an easy way to reach their target audience. it's a win-win situation.

alkafluence
10-24-2003, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by nuclear zombie
As long as it's for AGD products then that is cool , but please no ads for the x10 camera ...:D

Actually they [X10] just lost a sizable lawsuit regarding pop-under ads and are filing for bankruptcy.

But given the way revenues are derived from internet ads (it really isn't that much, hence the reason to have gratuitous ads) it makes more sense to have ads from other companies.

Now if these were ads (as other people mentioned) for things such as barrel kits by other companies, and other non-competing paintball products it may make sense to advertise those as well and derive a revenue stream from them.

dansim
10-24-2003, 08:09 AM
Tom its a good idea , look at all the unregistered guests you get each month. After all this is Tom's house if you dont like you can get the fuuudge out(think delirous(eddie murphy)) damn kids

dre1919
10-24-2003, 08:25 AM
Hey Tom, you gotta do what you gotta do, ya know? I say that's probably a good idea...especially if it helps out AGD.

Automaggin2
10-24-2003, 08:55 AM
As long as there are no pop ups, i dont mind :)

Eric Cartman
10-24-2003, 09:09 AM
I have no problem with banners, but as a few others have stated, there doesn't seem to be much point putting banners for AGD products as most of AO will already know about / own these products. I think it would be more useful to put up banners for other manufacturers and dealers that are non-competitive with AGD

david made an interesting point. why not sell ad space to non-competitive products?

Either way, I hope it helps AGD.

Cheers.

ben_JD
10-24-2003, 09:31 AM
Others have said this and I would like to agree.

This is an audience on which AGD product advertising may be largely wasted. I cannot think of a single AGD product that I could buy...I own all of them which are not mutually exclusive (i.e., I have an X-Mag, so therefore no ULE mainbody, etc.).

I don't think AGD will see a marked increase in sales revenue by advertising AGD stuff to AO members. However, taking some advertising dollars of other companies to allow them to advertise on AO (in an unobtrusive, non-popup manner) would probably net some immediate financial benefits. And AGD can always place its own product advertisements in the rotation.

If you are counting votes, I don't have a problem with either form of advertising.

AutomagRT1483
10-24-2003, 09:59 AM
Will we be able to snatch one of these banners for a team site?

FreakBaller12
10-24-2003, 10:22 AM
yes i agree with showcasing to non competitive company's
roguefactor data and shartly advertising is also a VERY good idea to me

SirTim
10-24-2003, 12:19 PM
If you haven't heard, X10 is filling for Chapter 11. We wont' be seeing anymore of the webcam pop-ups. cheers!

RetroEclipseMan
10-24-2003, 01:25 PM
I say if it benefits AGD then it's a good idea especially if there's no popups.

sniper1rfa
10-24-2003, 02:03 PM
go for it. I personally dont mind banners — i hate annoying banners.

if you start popups, i am leaving. ;)

sniper1rfa
10-24-2003, 02:06 PM
go for it. I personally dont mind banners — i hate [b]annoying[/i] banners.

if you start popups, i am leaving. ;)

tony3
10-24-2003, 03:41 PM
You should have a shoot the cocker banner:p

68Classic
10-24-2003, 04:03 PM
yeah banners dont matter at all, but pop ups, totally out of the question

ej_y4
10-24-2003, 04:19 PM
banners are fine, i dont mind....but please no pop ups, also you should sale the space to other companys that do not compete with AGD. Most people here already know or have what they want from AGD.

rdb123
10-24-2003, 04:29 PM
www.panicware.com guys.

E-mag-uy
10-24-2003, 07:41 PM
yea tom, whatever it takes to keep AO running, i actually think ads would be cool since it would keep people informed of AGD and other paintball products...

Doc Nickel
10-24-2003, 08:02 PM
Hey Tom, I'll swap you a banner. :D

I've been toying with allowing a few, select, PB-related banners over on TWB (http://www.the-whiteboard.com/), and I have a few things in my own Store (http://www.docsmachine.com/gear/) of interest to AutoMaggers and others. TWB sees around 6,000 page views a day on average, and has been steadily, if slowly, building since day one.

Is something like that possible?

Doc.

bornl33t
10-24-2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Doc Nickel
Hey Tom, I'll swap you a banner. :D

I've been toying with allowing a few, select, PB-related banners over on TWB (http://www.the-whiteboard.com/), and I have a few things in my own Store (http://www.docsmachine.com/gear/) of interest to AutoMaggers and others. TWB sees around 6,000 page views a day on average, and has been steadily, if slowly, building since day one.

Is something like that possible?

Doc.

now that actually makes sence! a type of banner exchange! along the same line as pop-ups, is SP ever gets and ad on AO I'm gone like yesterdays newspaper.

MantisMag
10-24-2003, 08:37 PM
they do have a banner exchange program. i've never looked at them until now. they're hidden behind the resources->links page. it would be nice if the banner exchange actually got you in a place where you'd get views.

PyRo
10-24-2003, 08:38 PM
For those who say we all know what everything is no AGD banners, people still do come in here wondering what the heck an on-off valve is, so it may just do some good.

SpongeBobSquarePants
10-24-2003, 08:38 PM
Very Understandable TK, just don't make them gaudie. Keep them tasteful and paintball related please :) Because I could really careless which bank wants to give me a mortgage.

dinger
10-24-2003, 10:03 PM
what do you mean by banners???

like... an image that you click?

could i link it from my webpage [www.dinger.2ya.com ;)]?

:o

shartley
10-25-2003, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by MantisMag
they do have a banner exchange program. i've never looked at them until now. they're hidden behind the resources->links page. it would be nice if the banner exchange actually got you in a place where you'd get views.
Now THAT is a novel idea. Heck, I added a link on my site as soon as it went up and tried to participate in the link exchange but even after quite a few reminders.. nada. I guess the AO link exchange only goes one way? ;)

logamus
10-25-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by shartley
I can fully understand about wanting more exposure…. But to me putting ads on AO for AGD products is like preaching to the choir. Sure, it is a good thing to do, but the real goal of any business should be getting more customers, not just selling to current ones.

this was exactly what i was thinking. its not that i have a major problem with ads, but advertising to people who bleed adg is kinda silly. ads on other forums might make a bigger impact imho. i just dont think the benifit of advertising here is going to be worth the effort made to put ads up here.

Will Wood
10-27-2003, 03:59 PM
I personaly would not pay, but maybe others feel different. (perhaps the PWs? :p)

A paypal donatation feature would not hurt.

AGD
10-27-2003, 07:45 PM
A banner exchange is a real possibility. Let us get this going first then bring it up again and remind me.

thanks

AGD

TheJester
10-27-2003, 09:14 PM
the only thing i see w/ that though, is most of the people who visit this site already have agd products, and are already in the loop, making the target population a little off.

spyxtra
10-28-2003, 07:32 PM
AGD ownes this site and you want to put AGD banners on it. why would any one object ;) :p

shartley
10-29-2003, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by spyxtra
AGD ownes this site and you want to put AGD banners on it. why would any one object ;) :p
I don’t think anyone “objects”. Lots of good ideas were posted though that would probably help Tom out more than just putting his own banners on his own site. And it looks like he will be trying to implement some of them…. good move.

USAF-Flyboy with a Mag
10-29-2003, 06:48 AM
I would totally dig seeing agd banners on other paintball websites. I've seen one on warpig, but that's about it.