PDA

View Full Version : Shipping to Canada ... hints, tips ...

lopxtc
10-24-2003, 10:07 AM
Okay all selling my marker to an AO user in Canada, and had a couple questions ...

I know its best to put sporting goods on the contents instead of Paintball Gun ...

But what about anything else, I have heard that if you record the item as a gift that they wont get hit with import taxes or what not ...

Thanks in advance,

Aaron

mcveighr
10-24-2003, 10:11 AM
How are you sending it?

Creative Mayhem
10-24-2003, 10:11 AM
good start, you need to send it with out the barrel on the marker. And listing as a gift only REALLY works if you list it as under $50CAD, but seeing as it is a gun, you might have a problem insuring it for more thatn the $50 bucks. the buyer will more than likely have to eat the taxes and duties, but you can always try...:D Hope it helps.

lopxtc
10-24-2003, 10:21 AM
People actually ship their markers with the barrels on? On man, thats an accident waiting to happen ....

Yeah I figured that he was going to get stuck with the taxes ...

Originally posted by Creative Mayhem
good start, you need to send it with out the barrel on the marker. And listing as a gift only REALLY works if you list it as under $50CAD, but seeing as it is a gun, you might have a problem insuring it for more thatn the $50 bucks. the buyer will more than likely have to eat the taxes and duties, but you can always try...:D Hope it helps.

What is the recommend method of shipping;

USPS
FedEX

Aaron

cphilip
10-24-2003, 10:35 AM
Definately not USPS as you cannot get delivery confirmation on it.

adam shannon
10-24-2003, 10:59 AM
use ups..its more expensive but you will be able to track the shipment.

disassemble the marker so it doesnt immediately look like a gun!

you can list the value of the marker below $50 to save the receiver the tax burden...but if you do and its lost you wont recoup the full cost if you listed the value as $49.

sime
10-24-2003, 11:11 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

UPS is bad for canadians!!!!

Not only do we get stuck with taxes, duties and what ever else, they slap on a "brokerage" fee! Case and point; I purchesed a $20 bike part, shipped ups. They slapped on a $40 brokerage. What was a good deal turned into a rip off. Even from friends UPS burns me. So please, do your buyer a favor and don't ship UPS. Priority USPS is definatly prefered, and I believe you can get a tracking number.

Beyond that mayhem is right. Though you can list it as a "sample"; you can always try that. Implies that the reciever payed nothing, but it can still have a value.....

cphilip
10-24-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by sime
[B Priority USPS is definatly prefered, and I believe you can get a tracking number.
. [/B]

I just tried to ship a USPS priority with delivery confirmation to Canada this past Monday.... No dice. Not available to Canada. So then we tried International Delivery Confirmation...agian not available... USPS is not the way to go here.

So if your saying UPS is out and I know USPS is out... then its gotta be like Fed Ex or one a dem others like airborne or something.

sime
10-24-2003, 01:42 PM
maybe i'm too trusting in this, but I'd rather go with USPS and a man's word it was shipped, over UPS and pay $80 when mr. brown pants knocks on my door. so much so, I insist upon USPS. If it's gotta be UPS I have it sent to a friend in the states, and go from there.

FedEx is better then UPS, they certainly don't over charge when the package arrives, just the cost at customs.

so i'd be e-mailing the buyer and ask him his preference, a non-tracable package, or the cost of UPS upon delivery.

cphilip
10-24-2003, 01:44 PM
Well I would certainly like to know the best solution here. Because I get a lot of calls from Canadians and I just do not have a good way to do this so I often turn them down. I hate to do that. Its not fair!

Eric Cartman
10-24-2003, 01:45 PM
I just tried to ship a USPS priority with delivery confirmation to Canada this past Monday.... No dice. Not available to Canada.

That's weird bud. AGD shipped me my ULE trigger pull kit via USPS and provided me with a tracking number which I was able to use to track my package over teh internet. The odd thing was that I guess they handed it over to Fed Ex or Purolater (can't remember which) at the border, because that's who wound up with the shipment and I had to go and get it from them. About a month later, I got a bill from some company who had paid my duty for me and I had to pay them.

Stay away from UPS though!!! My brother got hit with a charge of about $150.00 when AGD shipped him out a new valve for his mag. He had sent his valve in for repair and instead of fixing it (it was ancient), they sent him a new one. After fighting with UPS, he eventually got the charge lowered to $75.00. Since they had his credit card info, he had no choice but to pay.

Getting things shipped from the US blows hard... like the Canadian wind in Winter.

cphilip
10-24-2003, 01:51 PM
Are you sure? Cause AGD uses UPS not USPS... And sounds to me like thats what you got was UPS.

Yea it sucks but most of its YOUR fault. All the duties and taxes that have to be levied restrict things coming in OR OUT of Canada. Its a nightmare. I can get 15 Hispanics across the Mexican boarder easier!

tranman
10-24-2003, 01:58 PM
AGD will ship USPS if you ask them, when i won my intelliframe, i asked for USPS and they shipped it that way.

cphilip
10-24-2003, 02:02 PM
but what happens when it gets to the boarder? Like his seems to went wacko!

Jeffy-CanCon
10-24-2003, 02:30 PM
A package sent via USPS to Canada should be handed over to Canada Post when it arrives here. Canada Post has a parcel service called "Purolator".

There are no duties on US-made goods shipped into Canada, under NAFTA. There ARE provincial and federal sales taxes applicable, which usually amount to about 15%.

UPS charges a Customs Brokerage Fee which effectively doubles the taxes. I don't know about Fed-Ex.

thump
10-24-2003, 02:53 PM
shipping to Canda is easy. both my guns i have bought from people in the US. they shipped using ups.they marked down paintball goods and it crossed the border with no problem at all. both packages only took like 3 days to get to me also.i did have to pay taxes on what the shipper said the value of the goods were.i also had to pay the brokerage fee that ups charges to import things to Canada.the extra cost for the brokerage fee was ok considering if he sent it USPS it would have taken 2 weeks to get to me.hope this has helped some.

slushee
10-24-2003, 07:36 PM
I wouldn't dare break the law, the law abiding canadian citizen that I am .. but there are mailbox rental places just across the border ......

:rolleyes:

Mossman
10-24-2003, 08:15 PM
SHIP USPS! NO UPS, NO FEDEX!

UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE!

with that over and done with....
You can get tracking/delivery confirmation on it if you wanna send it global express, it's expensive, and 2-3 days or so.

You CAN insure it if you send regular global priority or whatever. You cannot get tracking, but you can find out if it got there or not with insurance, just not online and easily, only if it doesnt show up after 30 days or whatever.

Good luck, I've sold 2 guns and some misc. parts to canada, no problems or taxation, just a few border delays.

TNS2k2
10-24-2003, 11:19 PM
yes, USPS is your best friend. it is fast, if you do express and you can track it, for a little more. Yes, you mark it as gift, and under $50 Canadian, but insure it for the cost of the marker. just say it has more sentimental value or something, if they ask. you dont want it lost.

thats all i really have to say about that. but remember NO UPS! USPS is the best for us canadians, i have had a few deals from you guys.......

TNS2k2

Dragoon
10-25-2003, 10:38 AM
I've got to add my voice to the USPS option.

It's what I always use. Even when buying expensive markers. I've never once had a problem.

But keep in mind it takes a little longer than UPS. Figure on 2-3 weeks before you start to get worried.

cphilip, just ask the buyer their prefered option. I'd even send him/her a link to this thread.

Douglas

PS Just installed the ULT and I'm ripping away with it!

FalconGuy016
10-25-2003, 11:56 AM
When did Canada become retarded like this :(

Jeffy-CanCon
10-25-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by FalconGuy016
When did Canada become retarded like this :(

What does that mean?:mad:

That the government is retarded for charging taxes on imported goods? Or that Canadian pballers are retarded for wanting to pay as litle taxes and fees as possible?

Digits
10-25-2003, 09:44 PM
air mail = god..

if you can ship it like that somehow that is the best way.. I have yet to pay any taxes/duties/anything shipped from the states via airmail to me.

mcveighr
10-26-2003, 08:10 AM
UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE!

what he said

athomas
10-27-2003, 11:58 AM
Here in Canada we have to pay taxes on everything. Definately mark the item as a "gift" and/or "used". I always use USPS and have insurance added for trackability of delivery. I've never had a problem and the item usually arrives in just over a week (usually about 10 days). I have had problems with UPS much the same as others have indicated. Order a $200.00 part and get struck with a $50.00 brokerage fee and handling fee on top of the govt taxes.

Go USPS.

Strider
10-27-2003, 02:41 PM
I prefer USPS as well. UPS always charges brokerage plus taxes. I was asked to pay $40 Canadian once on a $60 Canadian package. :rolleyes: With USPS the chances are much smaller of getting dinged for taxes.

If the item is being returned from Repairs, state it. There shouldn't be taxes charged on a repair item. (Since theoretically it was originally bought in Canada) ;)

There are a few other tricks, but the legality is questionable and I won't post it here. :D

Eric Cartman
10-27-2003, 03:29 PM
Are you sure? Cause AGD uses UPS not USPS... And sounds to me like thats what you got was UPS.

Yea it sucks but most of its YOUR fault. All the duties and taxes that have to be levied restrict things coming in OR OUT of Canada. Its a nightmare. I can get 15 Hispanics across the Mexican boarder easier!

My fault? No-one I have ever voted for has got into power, either provincially or federally, so it's not my fault!!!:D
No it was definitely USPS Global Express. As Jeffy said, it was Purolater who wound up with my parcel (I didn't know they were part of Canada Post - learn somethin' new every day). When AGD shipped my intelliframe, it was also USPS.
I couldn't agree more though, it's such a pain to get stuff from the U.S. without getting screwed by taxes and brokerage fees etc. I'm hoping AGD's going to be at Skyball
with lots of stuff. I'll just do my shopping there.

omni
10-27-2003, 07:24 PM
I too say no UPS. They over charge and it sucks when you get hit with the bill.

My first ever winning on AO was sent to me via UPS, for something I paid nothing on and had 0 cost, I was charge $40 in fees.

After that I asked AGD to send USPS, while I only had that one problem when the people at the boarder labled my ULE Body as pistol (LOL damn fools) and it was held for a week it's been clear sailing.

I did a trade with covadsucks and he insured the timmy for $800 US, and I was charged no tax on that ... which was amazing. Dunno how he did that though, and it was marked properly as Sporting goods (Paintball).

BlackHalo
10-28-2003, 12:00 AM
I just got something From Doc and it took almost 3 weeks to get here with USPS.

I got dinged with 9.16 in GST and a 5.00 handling fee.

geez, isn't that what paying postage IS...a handling fee.