PDA

View Full Version : Dying Delrin

billybob_81067
10-25-2003, 03:41 AM
Has anyone here dyed Delrin before? How do you do it? Rit dye and boiling water??? :confused:

Any help is appreciated.

ZyperioN
10-25-2003, 10:41 AM
Because of the nature of delrin, i wouldn't want to put it anywhere near boiling water. however i am also interested in the processes that could be used to color it.

TSalPaintball
10-25-2003, 11:39 AM
Wouldnt it swell up?

ZyperioN
10-25-2003, 09:12 PM
Yeah the heat would swell it, thats what i was trying to get at.

Drewba13
10-26-2003, 01:54 PM
I have done this before on several bushmaster and timmy bolts.Here are some easy steps for ya;

1. Buy RIT dye in powder or liquid
2. Clean bolt, make sure screws, bearings are not still in
3. Fill a pot with enough water only to cover the bolt.
4. Add dye and bolt
5. Begin heating the water(leave just UNDER a boil)
6. STIR CONTINIOUSLY--DO NOT LET THE BOLT TOUCH THE SIDES OF THE PAN!
7. Prepare a cup of cold water mixed with any leftover dye.
8. Keep stirring bolt in heated water for about 30-45 minutes(until you get desired color)
9. Take bolt out and put in the cold water mixture you prepared before(closes the pores on the delrin).
10. Let bolt sit in water for an hour.
11. Let the bolt dry for at least 12 hours.

your done. The delrin does swell after heating, but returns to original size after you let it dry. Just be sure not to overheat the bolt, or it may melt.

Remember, there are only 3 things that will increase the darkness of the bolt.
-amount of dye
-heat
-time

Heres a pic of my scarlet bushy bolt.
Good luck
http://www.hunt101.com/img/061230.JPG

billybob_81067
10-26-2003, 03:27 PM
Sweet! Thanks for all the awesome information.

The reason I wanted to know is that I've started making my own delrin bolts on our lathe and I wanted a way to make them look nicer.

:D

Drewba13
10-26-2003, 08:49 PM
no prob, good luck with that. Any chance you would ever sell any? I've been looking for a delrin cocker bolt....:D

billybob_81067
10-26-2003, 11:28 PM
no prob, good luck with that. Any chance you would ever sell any? I've been looking for a delrin cocker bolt....

Maybe this summer I'll start making them for people, but as of now with college and everything else going on things are a bit hectic :D

Also I'd have to buy some more delrin... all I've got left is a bit over a foot of 3/4 inch round left, and If I make bolts for each of my 3 cockers and one for my rainmaker then I won't have much left :p