PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Fires

DiRTyBuNNy
10-26-2003, 07:05 PM
I know most of the people here on AO probably don't have anything to do with San Diego but i wanted to just say that in San Diego we're getting ravaged by fires but what I wanted to ask for everyone's prayers because Bad_Knees here on AO had to evacuate his home and to be completely honest it's a very serious thing and he's right in the middle of the fire. He called me this morning to say that he packed up his wife and his two kids (and his emag too) and headed out to an evacuation center. I'm just asking for everyone's prayers because this fire is a really nasty one. thank you very much.

jayel579
10-26-2003, 07:16 PM
thoughts are with you guys, those fires are tough out there

GT
10-26-2003, 07:22 PM
Old guys in the AO Army cant help a brotha' out?

ZAust
10-26-2003, 07:24 PM
yikes.. good luck badknees, glad to see that you and your family(and the emag) are alright. stay safe!!!

DiRTyBuNNy
10-26-2003, 07:27 PM
Thanks everybody...I really appreciate it..and I know he will too..

ZAust
10-26-2003, 07:33 PM
yeah.. i had some good friends of mine lose their house in the oakland hills fires.. i know how much destruction these fires can bring.. good luck to all down in sd!!

WicKeD_WaYz
10-26-2003, 08:06 PM
I drove up to LA today to see my mom and there was all this ash flying around through the air. It made a layer of white all over my truck. :( I hope the ashes stay out of OC but with the santa anna's commin in (strong winds) it dont look like it

I didnt kno there was fire in SD too, but i dont watch the news too much. Hope it all turns out good.

SpecialBlend2786
10-26-2003, 09:41 PM
Yeah, good luck to Bad_Knees and everyone else around these fires. I just hope i dont have to evacuate too. I can see the smoke and the glow of the fire from my window. scary stuff :(

Caffiend
10-26-2003, 10:03 PM
my thoughts are with everyone in and around San Diego. I saw what the fires did here in AZ, bad news all round. Just saw on the game they moved the Monday Night Football game to Phoenix to help in the fighting of the fire.

DiRTyBuNNy
10-26-2003, 11:09 PM
I talked to B_K a while ago and he said that he's still at his relatives house and hasn't gotten any info about his house..he's trying to stay upbeat and I told him our prayers are with him and he told me he appreciated that a lot.

SpecialBlend2786
10-26-2003, 11:15 PM
Glad to hear that he's alright.

i just remmebered: Isn't DYE headquarters in Scripps Ranch, which is where one of the big fires is? I could be wrong, but i know its somewhere in San Diego...

DiRTyBuNNy
10-26-2003, 11:21 PM
Yes..Dye Headquarters is off of Scripps Poway Parkway...if you know where the Nokia building is right off the 15 the Dye building is right behind it...so it would be in the fireline..

SpecialBlend2786
10-26-2003, 11:28 PM
eek, thats what i though. Hopefully nothing happens.

on a good note, at least school is closed tomorrow...
its going to take awhile to clean up all of the ash thats allover the place though.

DiRTyBuNNy
10-26-2003, 11:38 PM
I heard that..my dark gray car now looks white..

sps16
10-27-2003, 01:00 AM
I heard that SC village was in the 90's and had ash raining down on it

DiRTyBuNNy
10-27-2003, 01:08 AM
that's exactly how it was yesterday..

jwren00
10-27-2003, 01:12 AM
it was 90ish today in santa barbara, and we're gettin the orange sky effect too. I dont see any ash falling here, but i sure as hell am having a hard time breathing, my throat and lungs are definitely feeling the affects of the smoke.

SpecialBlend2786
10-27-2003, 01:15 AM
yeah, saturday morning i looked up, and it looked like the sky was on fire. The sun was like a fiery red. I went down to riverside a few days ago with my friend to help her choose a car, and it was really hard to breath. now the ash and smoke are in SD.

Now my her pool has all this white ash floating around in it:(

jwren00
10-27-2003, 01:16 AM
it was 90ish today in santa barbara, and we're gettin the orange sky effect too. I dont see any ash falling here, but i sure as hell am having a hard time breathing, my throat at lungs are definately feeling the affects of the smoke.

SpecialBlend2786
10-27-2003, 01:41 AM
i'm talking to one of my friends on AIM about the fire. She had some bad news:

cuddLeBunny59: my brother's friend's aunt was one of the people that died :(
SpecialBlend2786: :(

These fires are messing everything up.

RoadDawg
10-27-2003, 02:17 AM
Thoughts and prayers go out to all those around these fires. It is real nasty everywhere. B_K if you see this or hear from DB my thoughts and prayers are with ya brother.

Scooter/Cootie
10-27-2003, 06:43 PM
Best of luck to everyone invloved.

TooDamnSweet
10-27-2003, 07:56 PM
There are fires everywhere. I'm not too sure about all the places, but at last count there were 7 or 8 different fires here in CA. When I left work today, it was dark from the clouds of smoke and I can actually smell the fire. (I'm in Van Nuys) There were ashes flying around everywhere. It's really scary. My prayers go out to everyone who has been affected by this including the firemen who are working overtime to put these fires out.

SpongeBobSquarePants
10-27-2003, 08:05 PM
Good luck to Bad_Knees really is a great guy. I wish you and your family the best of luck.

RoadDawg
10-27-2003, 09:43 PM
Bonx0007 is up near the latest batch of people being suggested to leave. He's up by Chattsworth. Hope all is well with him as well. Last I heard is that the square mileage of burned up area = half of Rhode Island. Over a 1000 houses have burned and 400,000 acres have also burned. There is a line of fire with several gaps basically reaching from Mexico to Northern Los Angeles. This is real eery. I am glad to see the Cali Air National Guard has been activated to help out.

wolverine85929
10-27-2003, 11:56 PM
I feel for you guys. We had to evacuate last year for a fire, and came very close to doing it again this year.:( Hope every thing works out ok.

DiRTyBuNNy
10-28-2003, 12:20 AM
This just in from B_K via MSN Messenger:

badknees858 says:
DOH!
badknees858 says:
I hope u are there
badknees858 says:
Saw the house...it is still there
badknees858 says:
I feel sory for some of my neighbors though...they weren't so fortunate
badknees858 says:
no power and that smokey smell in the house is keeping us from going back

gibby
10-28-2003, 12:53 AM
Yeah, BK called me up earlier to let me know his house was spared. But he and his family were amazed at how much damage was done to some of their neighbors' homes. He told me that the $1M house down the street wasn't spared. He also said that the fire line was literally just a few feet away from his back yard? But he is greatful that his home was spared and his family are safe.

It's hard to not question whether all these fires are due to plain old stupidity, or if these are caused for a reason. Living out here in SoCal, brush fire is an expected event once in a while...but to see it happen all around us? I don't think it's ever been this bad. :(

So the count right now are 10 fires all around SoCal?:mad:

DiRTyBuNNy
10-28-2003, 01:10 AM
for the Cali people..here's a picture from space of the fires..

http://pages.prodigy.net/danlathum/images/photo_fire.jpg

Sir. Foxalot
10-28-2003, 02:26 AM
From my view in Glendale, I can see smoke from the 3 biggest around me. Where I am is kinda in the middle (Chatsworth, Grand Prix, Old) and you can rally smell and taste the ash. I am watching on tv as my friends house is being blockaed by the FD in arrowhead, Crestline to be exact. Also my favorite vacation spot Bruin Woods on lake arrowhead is in real danger. Good luck to all the people and especally the FD's that are out there fighting. Kepp up the good work!

Bad_Knees
10-28-2003, 02:09 PM
House is still standing, everything around us is burned. We hope to get back into the house sometime today, I will post pics once I have power and an interconnect connection at home.

BK

SpecialBlend2786
10-28-2003, 04:35 PM
Bad_Knees, good to hear it. :)

I just heard that theres i fire in Encinites, which is pretty close to my house. The whole place is surrounded in like a weird orange fog.

TooDamnSweet
10-28-2003, 08:10 PM
Glad to hear that you and your family are doing good. I'm sorry to hear about your neighborhood, but I'm glad that your house is okay. Let us know if you need anything.

Army
10-28-2003, 08:35 PM
Thank God for your good fortune BK.

I'm 200+ miles from the closest one, and over 400+ miles from the San Diego ones, yet we are now getting blanketed by the smoke.

We had a small one here, 200+ acres, but the weather co-operated and as it crested the mountains, the wind blew it back onto itself...shwew, close one.

Prayers are out for all you So-Cal members and families.

Army
10-28-2003, 11:15 PM
Here's a space shot from this afternoon. Look north along the coast, until you see a little red dot with smoke. That's our fire, just 3 miles away from me. No winds, thank God, but the crews say containment is iffy at this time.
http://www.hunt101.com/img/067338.jpg

Smoke from it coming over the hill:
http://www.hunt101.com/img/067320.JPG

TooDamnSweet
10-29-2003, 12:45 AM
I hope everything is okay with your Army. My prayers are with you and everyone who is affected by this.

USAF-Flyboy with a Mag
10-29-2003, 07:23 AM
Whoa...so that is what blue skies look like? It has been a while since I've seen anything, but orange.

Matt_mg
10-29-2003, 10:10 AM
Maybe you should try bombing the fire, the blast should put out the flames...

Hehe, good luck and godspeed guys ;)

RoadDawg
10-29-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by USAF-Flyboy with a Mag
Whoa...so that is what blue skies look like? It has been a while since I've seen anything, but orange.

Exactly what I thought. lol... All day it looked like I was looking through light brown tinted glasses. I'm kind of in the middle of the Chattsworth, San Bern fires.

SpecialBlend2786
10-29-2003, 02:12 PM
The sky has cleared up today, i can actually see it now:)

Time to start cleaning up all that ash....
and getting ready to go back to school.

UltimatePaintballer
10-29-2003, 03:04 PM
is the fire any where near you, and i heard some girl got burned alive in her house. that would sucks

SpecialBlend2786
10-29-2003, 04:05 PM
it got pretty close, but not so close that we had to evacuate.

Yeah, my friend knows a lady that died in the fire. sucks.

einhander619
10-29-2003, 09:30 PM
Yikes, I live in Oceanside a month out of every year, glad it's august and not october. Good luck to everyone down there, I have huge ties to socal and I feel for you guys. Sir Foxalot, where in Glendale do you live? I was born there & lived in La Canada for 7 years.

MrMag
10-30-2003, 12:28 AM
well i was just watching a news brief and i found out that the firefighter that was killed today was from my town. i am praying it is not either of my friends' dads who are down there...i will report back after the 10 o'clock news

SpecialBlend2786
10-30-2003, 12:31 AM
yeah, i heard about that on the news :(

MrMag
10-30-2003, 12:45 AM
well i just found out that he was actually from a town nearby. he was an 11 year vet named steven rucker from novato, california

Miscue
10-30-2003, 04:56 AM
The smoke from it is getting into Nevada and Utah. It's nasty outside, tastes like soot. Smokey haze in the sky, it's like a fog. School kids weren't allowed outside and stuff.

Albinonewt
10-30-2003, 06:55 AM
Good luck to everyone is Southern CA. This is a disaster.

Bad_Knees
10-30-2003, 10:23 AM
I have pics of the fire damage that was around my house, I just can't post them here :( So if anyone wishes to host them or figure out how to post them that would be cool.

Just want to update those not from this area, the fire is still going. Here is an update from the CDF:

According to the California Dept. of Forestry the Cedar fire is 15 % contained.
It has burned 232,192 acres.
One firefighter has been killed and twenty-five firefighters have been injured.
3,330 firefighters are fighting the blaze.
960 homes have been destroyed.

The Paradise fire has burned 40,000 acres and is 20% contained.

I can tell you that Sunday morning when this thing was moving it covered plenty of ground in a short amount of time. This all started from a hunter who lit a signal fire/flare to help his buddy find him. The allocation of resources to stop the fire has been an issue that some people feel Gov. Davis could have saved alot more homes and possible lives..that is a serious topic out here.

BK