PDA

View Full Version : Help with home "milling"

Southpaw
10-27-2003, 01:07 AM
I understand that this is not milling being short a mill. I think that a drillpress and a dremel and a little time will do ok. I want to take off the trigger gaurd just behind the battery on my emag to make more room for my fingers any one who has done this if you could tell me what dremel bits work best and any tips would that help. thanks in advance!!

redlaser666
10-27-2003, 11:33 AM
If you are doing this by hand, the best way would probably be to cut the guard post with a hacksaw. After you cut that then you can use the sanding drums for the dremel to clean up the cuts. Then polishing bits to smoth the area.
Hope this helps.

studley192
10-28-2003, 06:59 PM
the diamond/ tetrahedragonal shaped ones that looked real wicked work great, with the sides that look like fins and stuff. i milled my rail with jsut a dremel and it came out great. also, the cylindrical one works good for finishing. hopefully youll know which ones im talking about

Southpaw
10-28-2003, 07:31 PM
What did you do to seal it and if nothing what did the rail do after being exposed to the air?
P.S. that rail looks very cool

studley192
10-28-2003, 10:32 PM
the rail did nothing reactive with the air. It just stayed the same. On the otherhand, my nice new raw ULE body is oxidizing with the air, and is very ugly as we speak. Just need some anno to get ridda that.

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=103380&goto=newpost

theres some pics of my milling if you wanted to see more detail

GA Devil
10-29-2003, 12:22 PM
would you mind posting the part numbers for the bits you used or the pictures of them. Would be alot of help. Love the rail. You did an awsome job!

CoolHand
10-29-2003, 12:56 PM
I can do that mill work in an actual Bridgeport mill for about the same cost as those dremel burrs you will have to buy.

PM'ed you.

Thank you for your time.

ZyperioN
10-29-2003, 03:18 PM
Hey coolhand, could you PM me about that same type of rail work too, im really interested in doing something to my god forsaken rail.

Spleen
11-02-2003, 07:43 PM
Man, that is beautiful. I really wanna dremel my rail but im afraid to lol. If i had access to a shop though.... mmm... I just dont feel safe being limited to only a dremel and a saw if ya follow me.

GA Devil
11-02-2003, 07:46 PM
Im thinking of buying a used rail and giving it a shot. Just wondering what bits he used for it.