PDA

View Full Version : helping a friend buy a gun

scribe
10-27-2003, 11:29 AM
he says he wants to spend 300 dollars total, for everything ... mask hopper air etc.

i'm not sure what's good on the market anymore. are spyders good at all? they're all at good prices. packages are only a little over 200 dollars.

what do you guys suggest?

i'm gonna make him stick with co2 since he doesn't go much and he's only been maybe 4-5 times.

he said he used the spyder shutter last time he went because a friend let him borrow it. he said that worked fine for him.

suggestions please. thanks.

TheDuelist
10-27-2003, 11:34 AM
If it were me I would tell him to get a Tippmann Model 98. Overall they are probably the most durable markers out there. Not only that, if there should ever be a problem with it, Tippmann will stand behind their product 110%. You can get some great deals online at almost any store you find.

scribe
10-27-2003, 11:52 AM
yah that's what i thought as well. tippmans are very durable ... but he kinda wants a gun that "looks" cool.

any suggestions now?

adam shannon
10-27-2003, 12:06 PM
i wouldnt feel comfortable recomending any marker for a first time/couple time player other than a tippmann. for the occasional player you can leave it in the garage for 3 years covered in mud..then kick the bolt open and play. a spider is a good new player marker..but you have to be willing to take care of it and perform maintenance, where as with a tippmann you can maintain it if you want...but if you dont it will still work.

i have a tippmann smg-60...its been in the garage for 13 years...a couple months ago i found it screwed a tank in and it rocked just like it did when i was a 16yo newb. its covered in congealed oil and paint(the old oil based paint), and some rust. but if i could get 62 cal balls and stripper clips i would play with it again just for kicks.

and if they still had parts im sure tippmann would still fix it up for free....they have the best customer service. im exagerating a bit...lol, but if you strapped a stick of dynomite to a tippmann and video taped the explosion then sent the marker and tape in they would fix it and tell you it takes at least 3 sticks to void the warranty!

most of the online stores...

www.actionvillage.com
www.paintball-online.com
www.888paintball.com

...offer beginner packages that include marker, tank, hopper, pack/tubes, and mask for discount prices as compared to buying each item seperately.

Nofreetime
10-27-2003, 12:41 PM
I started out on a Spyder SE and that worked great for me. A few friends had Tippman 98s and couldn't ever seem to take them apart and put them back together correctly. It may have been that they were just sucky at fixing stuff, but it seems like Spyders are quite a bit simpler to put together. Anyhow, I don't see you going wrong either way.

scribe
10-27-2003, 01:11 PM
thx for the input.

i'm sure he's going to take care of it, so i think i'll recommend a spyder.

i see a lot of other guns out there from like aci or random brands i've never heard of that have same priced guns as kingman. are they just as good?

if they're not then i'll still say spyder to him.

if i do say spyder ... anybody out there actually know spyders? i swear kingman has like 398383 different ones and i have no clue which one to get. so far it may be the e99. it looks like it has a shorter trigger pull than the shutter, and it's only 20 bux more. it also has diff. modes of firing.

pointm@n
10-27-2003, 02:03 PM
the e-99 is a great starter marker for a newb. even though it is electric it is still pretty simple to figure out. most spyders use the same components so it's very easy to upgrade as well.

Check out this site for a lot of informative content: http://www.ottersccustoms.com

Also check out the forums at kingman's website kingmanusa.com

I started with a Spyder Xtra and it was a great marker. I just recently upgraded to a mag and have to say the mag is as simple to figure out as a spyder...

adam shannon
10-27-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Nofreetime
A few friends had Tippman 98s and couldn't ever seem to take them apart and put them back together correctly.

there is no need to ever take a m98 apart! if it aint broke dont mess with it. most probs people encounter with 98's is because they keep taking the darn thing apart because they think they have to to clean it then loose parts or put it back together wrong. squirt some oil in the bolt slot and squeegie the barrel...thats it.

of the stacked tube blowbacks kingman is the leader. just be prepared to maintain it and possibly clip the spring right out of the box to get the velocity below 350 fps. most problems with any marker is because of excessive dissasembly...sure you can take it apart to clean it, but you dont need to every day.

Tyril
10-27-2003, 04:54 PM
tippmann, no question.

and don't let him put any aftermarket crap on it either, 'sides from hopper, barrel, and maybe a reg/ex chamber.

I've got one that I've neglected to the point of the SS screws rusting: it's coated in paint and dirt, and yet still fires more consistently than all my friends' spyders.

This is not to say that the spyder is a bad gun! Not at all, but I love my tippmann, and she's never let me down.

Only downside really is the size of the marker, but you trade that for it's very solid construction.

Customer service is the best I've ever encountered, yes, even better than AGD's.

-mike

rpm07
10-27-2003, 05:18 PM
Go to Paintballgear.com they have Automags on sale for $189.99 for a classic powerfeed with barrel and bottom line

http://store.yahoo.com/actionvillage/010-1021.html

-=Squid=-
10-27-2003, 05:35 PM
For a beginner, I wouldnt EVER recomend a stock 68 classic. Tell him to either get a model 98, or a electro blowback.

UltimatePaintballer
10-27-2003, 08:10 PM
i would say a black dragun. A very nice beginner gun and electronic. They also look cool. Get that, 20 0z tank, barrel, and like a reloader.

adam shannon
10-27-2003, 09:00 PM
the dragun is a good cheap electro. the only problem among the few my firends have owned is sear wear from FA or alot of rapid firing. same as mosr spyders and clones.

TheDuelist
10-27-2003, 09:30 PM
Of all the years I have been playing ball I have seen too many stacked tube blowbacks go down mainly because of maintenance issues. If this friend is looking for something he can use and forget for a couple of months I still highly recommend the Model 98. There are very few markers that need so little done to them to keep them working. I can understand about the whole "looks" thing but come on. If your going to drop the cash, drop it on something that will last through the times he doesn't play.

rpm07
10-27-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by -=Squid=-
For a beginner, I wouldnt EVER recomend a stock 68 classic. Tell him to either get a model 98, or a electro blowback.

Why would you never. It is 1 of the easiest guns to work on and it will last forever. My first gun was a mag and it was the best thing I ever did.